You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Messi leaving on a free

Ron B

If he's that heartbroken then he could have given them a season for free given the vast sums he has trousered over his career at Barca. Be interesting to see whether he can still do it at PSG aged 34 with a new set up after leaving the only club he has ever known. Wouldn't surprise me if his form suffered and the crowds get on his back. 

6 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

It's also illegal, to prevent circumvention of rules any contract has to be at least 50% of the previous contract.

That's Spanish law not La Liga rules, I think Colin Millar reported on it over the weekend.

I can't see that being applicable if the player is out of contract and is a free agent not that I know anything about Spanish law. 

5 minutes ago, magicrat said:

I can't see that being applicable if the player is out of contract and is a free agent not that I know anything about Spanish law. 

I'd presume it doesn't apply across the board and is a rule to prevent financial manipulation amongst big business, high profile earners etc.

The man on the street probably never needs to worry about it. 

1 minute ago, TD_LFC said:

I imagine there's various exemptions, clauses and loopholes for the man on the street but when it's as obvious as it would be for one of the most high profile players at the one of the biggest clubs in the world I'm guessing it's less easy to get it ratified.

Maybe but £50 mill tax free in his bin probably just tipped the balance !

24 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Isn't the point that even without Messi's salary Barca still need to move some others on?

So - he couldn't really just play for free.

They are fucked -- stuff like a 34 year old Pique with another three years to go on his contract has done them.

I read - and it could be wrong - that if Messi played for free they'd scrape by and be at 95% wages to turnover.  With him on half wages, they're at 115%.

It's bizarre. UEFA and the PL relaxed the financial 'rules' due to covid to help clubs survive while no fans were allowed in grounds.

The reality is, all it has done is let the clubs who are morally bankrupt but run by oil nations or mega wealthy individuals to go on a spending spree like no other while their competitors are either being financially prudent or loading the clubs with more debt in the form of £100m+ loans to buy players in an effort to not be left too far behind.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

It's bizarre. UEFA and the PL relaxed the financial 'rules' due to covid to help clubs survive while no fans were allowed in grounds.

The reality is, all it has done is let the clubs who are morally bankrupt but run by oil nations or mega wealthy individuals to go on a spending spree like no other while their competitors are either being financially prudent or loading the clubs with more debt in the form of £100m+ loans to buy players in an effort to not be left too far behind.

If you're a club with money-no-object, now is the time to spend it. Loads of clubs need to sell, and the authorities seem hamstrung for various reasons. 

17 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Years of mismanagement, tapping up players and throwing money around have lead to this, so I'm savouring every minute like a proper small time prick. Really hope Aguero's staring forlornly out his window at Messi, like Mascherano and Insua were.

Starting with 12 weeks on the sidelines while injured. 

PSG has a huge support in Ile de France where 12 millions of people live.

They are bit like spurs used to be, stars around, good football, not many trophees but good at cups.

They have  alway had great players like Susic, Rai, Ginola, Weah ect …

They have done good business this summer.

56 minutes ago, Arnaud said:

PSG has a huge support in Ile de France where 12 millions of people live.

They are bit like spurs used to be, stars around, good football, not many trophees but good at cups.

They have  alway had great players like Susic, Rai, Ginola, Weah ect …

They have done good business this summer.

I think they're a strong favourite for the CL should Messi confirm.

10 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Is this just a ploy to get out of his contract?

Maybe, but he's pretty consistent with being constantly injured.

10 weeks will cost them three million, or so, Euros in wages.

I mean, what do you expect when you buy a hobbled, injury prone striker?