You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the week that was (Jul 24- 30 2021)

tlw content

theweekthatwas.jpg.c1fbcaffb0090e7b2d3f5068e60210dc.jpg

Sunday Jul 25:

Oh boy....

“There was a moment when I didn’t feel loved and appreciated. Not my teammates, not the people at Melwood. From them, I know, I can say they all love me and I love them. It was not from that side, more the other side. Not towards the end, also before that. Basically in the last two seasons, I had it a few times.”

I think (hope?) he’s talking about ownership and Edwards there, but the rest of this was definitely about the fans.

“The media didn’t help. There was a story that Liverpool made an offer, I didn’t accept because I wanted more money and the fans made it like: ‘OK, he didn’t get the offer, so he doesn’t try his best to win games.

“Then the results were not really good and everything looked like it was against me. Some moments, it was like: ‘Wow, me again?’ It’s a collective.

“But my teammates never gave me the feeling that I let them down or I was taking the piss or something like that. With the team everything was fine.”

I mean, that’s clearly not true. I run an LFC fans forum, I speak to loads of fans in day to day life and I don’t ever remember seeing or hearing anyone saying Gini isn’t trying because he knows he’s leaving. No-one was singling him out for us being shite during that bad run either. In fact, most people were saying "imagine how fucked we'd be if we'd sold Gini last summer"

Whoppers on twitter are another matter of course.

“When it went bad, I was the player who they blamed – that I wanted to leave. “Every day in training and in the games, I gave everything I had to bring it to a good end because, during the years, Liverpool meant so much to me and because of the way the fans in the stadium were treating me.

“My feeling was that the fans in the stadium and the fans on social media were two different kinds. The fans in the stadium always supported me.

“On social media, if we lost, I was the one who got the blame. There was a moment when I was like: ‘Wow. If they only knew what I was doing to stay fit and play every game.’

“Other players might have said: ‘OK, I am not fit.’ You get players in their last year who are like: ‘I’m not playing because it is a risk.’ I did the opposite.”

Most people will feel that he should rise above that shit because he must know that social media bellends (many of whom who worship at the altar of Thiago and/or ’Naby Lad’) only represent a really small (minuscule even) portion of the fanbase. His name was chanted every fucking game, he was appreciated by all fans with a functioning brain and let’s not forget here there is not a single player in the squad - except maybe Virgil - that has a 100% fan approval rating. 

Why is that? Because some people don’t have a fucking clue, and some of those also don’t have any fucking common decency and therefore think it’s ok to message players with shit like “get out of my club”. That winds me up so much. It’s not ‘your’ club you fucking meffs. 

I get the argument that he shouldn’t pay any attention to it but I’d be a massive hypocrite if I were to say that considering how much time I’ve devoted to ripping into those nonces on here.

So I don’t have any problem with what Gini actually said (although he should have emphasised it was only a small number of wankers) but the problem here is that because he said it that will be the focus now and the message will be distorted. It’ll be “Gini left because of the fans” which simply isn’t true. We know he left because he didn’t like the contract he was offered and if he had liked that contract then the social media FIFA virgins wouldn’t have been given a second thought.

There are a lot of reds not happy about what Gini has said but in a way I’m glad he said it. I’d bring back the death penalty for any ‘red’ that ever messaged Gini (or anyone else, even fucking Keita) giving him shit and telling him to leave. That might seem a little severe but it’s not like I’d be giving them the same slow painful death I’d sanction for more serious crimes. No, for cases like this it would be a quick and painless death. 

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that 'the Week that Was' is only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 2

• dave u pinned this topic

I’d bring back the death penalty for any ‘red’ that ever messaged Gini (or anyone else, even fucking Keita) giving him shit and telling him to leave. That might seem a little severe but it’s not like I’d be giving them the same slow painful death I’d sanction for more serious crimes. No, for cases like this it would be a quick and painless death. 

Getting soft on crime, are we? «Usher The Merciful». 

3 hours ago, suzy said:

Totally agree about Gini, that seemed to come out of nowhere! I don’t follow Twitter but hadn’t heard anything about the fan slating him. Very odd.

It was going on for ages. Hendo used to get it too, but eventually that stopped and Gini (and Milner) were the ones targeted by the knobheads. You'd see them in the replies of any post he made or any post from the club mentioning him.

4 minutes ago, Arnaud said:

I find it hard to understand how professional footballer can be affected by stuff on social networks.

Are they not intelligent after all ?

I always think this. Would you not just think ' I have reached the peak of my trade , have loads of medals and made a bucketful of money ' while you are sitting in your ma's spare room popping pimples and spewing bile.

• Upvote 1

On 02/08/2021 at 15:31, dave u said:

It was going on for ages. Hendo used to get it too, but eventually that stopped and Gini (and Milner) were the ones targeted by the knobheads. You'd see them in the replies of any post he made or any post from the club mentioning him.

I’m genuinely shocked. As you say knobheads.

• Upvote 1

On 04/08/2021 at 00:50, Through Ball said:

That Ethan Ennis who left us to join United can fuck right off.

The last youngster I can remember who left us for United was Scott Wootton, and I’ll never forget his name as long as I live. Fuck him too

Fair play, everybody else had forgotten him!

• Upvote 1

On 04/08/2021 at 00:50, Through Ball said:

That Ethan Ennis who left us to join United can fuck right off.

The last youngster I can remember who left us for United was Scott Wootton, and I’ll never forget his name as long as I live. Fuck him too

Just been released by Plymouth Argyle, good luck Ethan you malodorous little gobshite!

• dave u unpinned this topic