You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The TLW Greatest Film Of All Time - Final

Bjornebye

The TLW Greatest Film Of All Time - Final   

64 members have voted

1. 1. Pick Your Favourite

• Casablanca
    • The Good, The Bad & The Ugly
    • Star Wars
    • Indiana Jones And The Raiders Of The Lost Ark
    • Goodfellas
    • No Country For Old Men
    • 3 Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/07/21 at 10:38

7 minutes ago, SasaS said:

What are you all talking about, these are the winners of past tournaments, not anybody's choice. Well, everybody's (wrong) choice in a way.

I would have liked more than one vote though. And a big head to head final. But entertaining as the films tournaments were, they are clearly losing steam and some of the audience so I guess it was time to finish it off. 

I thought about doing it that way but I expected Goodfellas to romp home making a final a waste of time. I could have done two groups of 3 but thought best to have each decade against one another.

Feel free to run the next one mate. I wouldn't mind not having to put the effort in and just sit sniping from the sidelines. 

wanker.gif?w=400

• Upvote 3

I’ve gone for Goodfellas as this is the film I enjoyed the most, the first time I watched it.

Casablanca is a masterpiece and deserves more votes than it will get here.

Star Wars belongs nowhere near a ‘greatest films’ final. Particularly when it’s in representing the 1970’s, a decade that produced any number of superior films. 

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Star Wars belongs nowhere near a ‘greatest films’ final. Particularly when it’s in representing the 1970’s, a decade that produced any number of superior films. 

That's funny, because I'm pretty sure we had a poll to decide the best film of the 1970s, and Star Wars won it.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

That's funny, because I'm pretty sure we had a poll to decide the best film of the 1970s, and Star Wars won it.

Although you can rely on the GF for many things, selecting the best film of the 1970’s clearly isn’t one of them. 

Star Wars is a 10/10 portrayal of the hero's journey that establishes and delivers through a fantastical new world brilliantly, technically one of the most influential productions ever. Also one of the best opening scenes in history.

That said I went for Casablanca.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

I thought about doing it that way but I expected Goodfellas to romp home making a final a waste of time. I could have done two groups of 3 but thought best to have each decade against one another.

Feel free to run the next one mate. I wouldn't mind not having to put the effort in and just sit sniping from the sidelines. 

wanker.gif?w=400

You are not selling the pleasures of running it too well.

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

I hadn’t noticed the film tournaments were running out of steam. Less people voting for 2000s and 2010s films? 

People probably watch less contemporary films than they used to. There’s so much choice these days, you can stream pretty much any film or television series that you wish to, and there are plenty of other forms of home entertainment. In the past, people would have been more likely to watch the big, must-see-films, given they had fewer options.

Anyway, I’ve thoroughly enjoy the film tournaments.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

I hadn’t noticed the film tournaments were running out of steam. Less people voting for 2000s and 2010s films? 

People probably watch less contemporary films than they used to. There’s so much choice these days, you can stream pretty much any film or television series that you wish to, and there are plenty of other forms of home entertainment. In the past, people would have been more likely to watch the big, must-see-films, given they had fewer options.

Tis true, also the growing expense of the cinema (and domination by remakes and "franchise" blockbusters) means most people don't experience a film in the optimal way for the first time that much anymore.

• Upvote 1

People looked at me differently and they knew I was with somebody. At thirteen, I was making more money than most of the grown-ups in the neighborhood. I mean, I had more money than I could spend. I had it all. One day the kids from the neighborhood carried my mother's groceries all the way home. You know why? It was because I wasn't a Star Wars virgin.

• Upvote 11

2 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

Anyway, I’ve thoroughly enjoy the film tournaments.

Tony’s spot on.

Probably more nostalgia for the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s films, simply as a lot of us grew up with them as kids (obviously not Stringers)

More discussion as a result as people feel more connected to them. I don’t personally feel the same for films that have come out in the last 10 odd years but I’m grateful for another tournament all the same.

Well in Stig for taking the time to organise another tournament. Most of us appreciate it. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Juniper said:

Tony’s spot on.

Probably more nostalgia for the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s films, simply as a lot of us grew up with them as kids (obviously not Stringers)

More discussion as a result as people feel more connected to them. I don’t personally feel the same for films that have come out in the last 10 odd years but I’m grateful for another tournament all the same.

Well in Stig for taking the time to organise another tournament. Most of us appreciate it. 

70s ,80s,90s films are better though. We have mostly disappeared into films with too many special effects and remakes. Obviously not exclusively but it's true

I'd forgotten how poor the outcomes of some of these tournaments were. The Sixties and Seventies, in particular,  were wonderful decades, poorly represented by two films that are far from the best.

Anyway, I'm gonna vote for Goodfellas, vote for Goodfellas. 

I’ve gone for Goodfellas because my actual choices of The Godfather, One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest and Aliens aren’t on offer.

Absolutely loved the tournament though, I know it’s gone for ages and the 70s tournament in particular annoyed me, however I’ve created a list of around 30 films I need to now see based on the discussion in the threads that followed. Hopefully I find a few gems that would have passed me by.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Remmie said:

Fuck off Stig for rigging all these tournaments you fucking lizard.

We could always do the best way out of Milton Keynes next? 

30 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Agreed. Stig made the right choice in not running the 2020s and 2030s tournaments. 

Shout 

1 hour ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Lazy green screen and greedy franchises should be frowned upon, not lauded and rewarded, they've undoubtedly hurt the film industry whilst simultaneously fleecing the gullible punters out of billions.

McDonalds is a franchise and they're shit too.

Don’t be daft, blockbusters keep the film industry and studios afloat and enrich with cash so that the other (non blockbuster) films can be financed/made, for one.  

Without one element you wouldn’t get as many of the others.

You may not like it (and you keep telling us) but they are needed for the industry.

17 minutes ago, Juniper said:

Don’t be daft, blockbusters keep the film industry and studios afloat and enrich with cash so that the other (non blockbuster) films can be financed/made, for one.  

Without one element you wouldn’t get as many of the others.

You may not like it (and you keep telling us) but they are needed for the industry.

If the money was reinvested in fresh new drama then great. But it isn't. The studios aren't daft, they know when they're onto a cushy number and keep on making the same films and rejigging the same stale old franchises. Like McDonalds with a new coat of paint.

35 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

If the money was reinvested in fresh new drama then great. But it isn't. The studios aren't daft, they know when they're onto a cushy number and keep on making the same films and rejigging the same stale old franchises. Like McDonalds with a new coat of paint.

Exactly my point