You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The QAnon Thread

1 hour ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

This is a painful topic for me because my best friend is a hardcore Q anon cultist and it has made friendship with him difficult as he seldom wants to talk about anything else. 

His views about the Sandy Hook massacre (that it was a hoax) are reprehensible but very common in that cult and he often wants to talk about it which makes things difficult. 

The movement was dealt a huge blow with the electoral defeat of Donald Trump as that was categorically not supposed to happen according to their world view. My friend mocked me mercilessly for saying that Biden would win; for him it was an utter impossibility. 

However like other ideologies it just staggers on regardless. Too many egos and too much life has been invested in it to let it go. 

Its remarkable to think that it may have originated as a piece of trolling on 4chan. The lie grew bigger than the liar and "Q" couldn't even stop it if he wanted to. One of the main guys, possibly the main guy did come out and pretty much admit it was nonsense but as I say the lie was vastly bigger than the liar at that point. A bit like "Brian" not being able to convince anyone he isn't the Messiah. 

Sadly, my friends Dad is nuts deep in this shit to the point where he’s openly hostile to her if she says anything, largely unknowingly as she’s learnt to dance around subjects, which challenge, or have the perception of challenge, any of his beliefs.

Really testing her as she knows he’s ‘ill’ and is looking for ways to help, but is attacked as ‘sheeple’ out of the blue. She dreads spending time with him now where once they were really close.

He spends his days smoking weed, fucking about on the internet and watching YouTube videos, he has next to no real human interaction.

He's planning on moving in with his sister in America soon, I’ve mentioned her before as she is one of the ‘leading’ conspiracy peddlers in America.

What could go wrong…

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

The one thing that sticks out -- you couldn't find a better walking definition of an ultra rich, elite, agnostic paedo than Trump himself. 

ah, you're talking about 'deep business' paedos.  They're completely different.  They are the Judean People's Front, not the People's Front of Judea you utter knob.

28 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Sadly, my friends Dad is nuts deep in this shit to the point where he’s openly hostile to her if she says anything, largely unknowingly as she’s learnt to dance around subjects, which challenge, or have the perception of challenge, any of his beliefs.

Really testing her as she knows he’s ‘ill’ and is looking for ways to help, but is attacked as ‘sheeple’ out of the blue. She dreads spending time with him now where once they were really close.

He spends his days smoking weed, fucking about on the internet and watching YouTube videos, he has next to no real human interaction.

He's planning on moving in with his sister in America soon, I’ve mentioned her before as she is one of the ‘leading’ conspiracy peddlers in America.

What could go wrong…

To be fair that sounds quite good

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bruce Spanner said:

What could go wrong…

Yep, not challenging them is pretty crucial to your own sanity and ability to keep the relationship going. 

Easier said than done when they are saying that murdered children are crisis actors. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

What QAnon popularity tells me, and GBNews, and The S*n readership, is that there is a huge amount of mental illness out there, and a huge problem in schools, and that I'm becoming increasingly sceptical of the 'freedom' of the internet.  

I don't think its fair or helpful to pathologize the entire political right. Many on the right look at the excesses they see on the left and do the same thing.

The Q phenomenon wasn't even entirely a right wing movement, rather it hoovered up a lot of libertarians, centrists and even quite a few left wingers if you can believe it. Really you should be able to believe it because 9/11 Trutherism did exactly the same thing and attracted basically the same people .

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

The one thing that sticks out -- you couldn't find a better walking definition of an ultra rich, elite, agnostic paedo than Trump himself. 

This throws me as well!

I mean, if their hero were someone like Mike Pence, a straight-laced uber-Christian conservative, it would be a lot more coherent argument. Instead you have the guy who has been accused of like 20 sexual assaults and was publicly a very close personal friend of Jeffrey Epstein!

3 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

What QAnon popularity tells me, and GBNews, and The S*n readership, is that there is a huge amount of mental illness out there, and a huge problem in schools, and that I'm becoming increasingly sceptical of the 'freedom' of the internet.  

I wouldn't say"mental illness". Healthy human minds are more susceptible to nonsense, delusion and bullshit than most of us like to admit.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I wouldn't say"mental illness". Healthy human minds are more susceptible to nonsense, delusion and bullshit than most of us like to admit.

Malleable and suggestible individuals with a severe lack of critical logic.  If TLW were given guns, Dave would be getting a fraction of the subscriptions he gets now

9 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Once a belief system is established in your mind it's very hard to change it. Some people are more susceptible than others and some people just want to find a meaning or purpose for their life as I think that's intrinsically in us. For most people these belief systems aren't dangerous and don't manifest into anymore than annoyance to people who don't share their views but there will always be a small percentage that go way too far, whether that be mental illness perpetuating their delusions or they are just plan evil. Who knows.

Edit: I should have mentioned attention seekers as well, they are definitely part of this.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...