You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Managerial Sack Race 2021-2022

Bruce Spanner

23 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Vieira before christmas.

This.

Don't think anyone, Palace's ownership included, have a real sense of how far behind the 8-ball their aging squad has got them. Sure they've made some moves to bring in younger players this summer but it's too little, too late as far as I can see.

35 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Anyone for Rafa?

I will take him. It is going to be impossible for him to bridge that gap - ridiculous appointment and even moreso on taking the gig. They are fucked like Torres was.

They'll give  him at least 18 months because they'll look like complete idiots otherwise. 

14 minutes ago, aws said:

They'll give  him at least 18 months because they'll look like complete idiots otherwise. 

I actually think Rafa will do Ok. He did well at Chelsea. He has hide like a rhino. 

They have a favourable start, which should smooth the waters.

Vieira, whoever Watford coach is (genuinely don’t know) & Rafa are the 3 front runners though. Arterta probably a very close 4th - closest to 4th he’ll get. 

I think Bruno Lage at Wolves is the most obvious candidate, even more than Vieira at Palace. Wolves have slumped form-wise over the past 18 months or so and even though they've changed manager, they haven't as yet refreshed the squad. There are a lot of players (plus the coach) there on a Jorge Mendes ticket, so basically there because he's judged it to be the best move for his bank balance than what suits the players.

The reason I've not picked Palace is that a lot of sides in the past have done reasonably well early on despite being written off for similar reasons to what Palace and Vieira are being written off. That's not to say it won't go pear shaped, but maybe not soon enough for Palace to pull the plug.

20 minutes ago, redinthehead said:

Steve Bruce will get NU out to a fast start then revert to the mean and be sacked by new years.

I thought that but ashley is too tight to pay him off. Think the only way Bruce gets sacked this side of Christmas is if Staverley and her mob can get this take over done before then.

4 hours ago, Trumo said:

I think Bruno Lage at Wolves is the most obvious candidate, even more than Vieira at Palace. Wolves have slumped form-wise over the past 18 months or so and even though they've changed manager, they haven't as yet refreshed the squad. There are a lot of players (plus the coach) there on a Jorge Mendes ticket, so basically there because he's judged it to be the best move for his bank balance than what suits the players.

The reason I've not picked Palace is that a lot of sides in the past have done reasonably well early on despite being written off for similar reasons to what Palace and Vieira are being written off. That's not to say it won't go pear shaped, but maybe not soon enough for Palace to pull the plug.

They've also lost their keeper. A big loss, IMO.

Jiminez will be back, by the looks of it, so that will help. And they do have a talented squad.

But I'll go with Dean Smith at Villa as well.

Heightened expecations, under-performance early on, players noses get out of joint, Smith out.

Lampard in.

On 26/07/2021 at 22:43, redinthehead said:

Steve Bruce will get NU out to a fast start then revert to the mean and be sacked by new years.

I was just coming to say I'd forgot about Beachball Heed. They've not signed anybody yet have they? Probably won't while they have this arbitration going on.

The supporters don't like him anyway, they'll be able to make themselves more loudly heard next season. 

Dreadful as he was for us, Hodgson did a fair job at Palace - they rarely got thumped, were usually clear of danger by the last few games of the season, and he perpetually held onto Zaha without the entire dressing room combusting (whether because they thought he was being treated unfairly or because they thought he was being indulged despite acting the twat). But he was given very little money to spend - around £45m over four years - with the result that the squad now looks both old and short on quality. 
The correct move for Palace at this point is not ‘Appoint a new coach who has limited experience and even less managerial success’. The correct strategy is not ‘Let this new guy spend almost as much cash in his first month as the previous fella had in the preceding four years’. 
Maybe somebody will go before Vieira. I’ve done farts which have lasted longer than some Watford managers, Wolves look wonky, and you can never discount the chance that somebody who looks safe will make a dreadful start to the season. But I’ll be staggered if Vieira makes it to the end of the season. A bad appointment by them and a bad choice of club by him. 

• Upvote 1