You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the week that was (Jul 18-23 2021)

tlw content

theweekthatwas.jpg.c1fbcaffb0090e7b2d3f5068e60210dc.jpg

Sunday Jul 18:

Further evidence of social media being an absolute cesspit. Gylfi Sigurdsson was trending on twitter tonight because it was awash with rumours he’d been arrested. No big deal, except that wasn’t the entirety of the rumour. He was arrested for noncing 'they' say. It’s probably bollocks but even if it’s not there’s absolutely nothing credible at this stage, but it still ran like wildfire and caused enough of a storm that his missus closed down her instagram page.

Fucking mental. No idea where it started or if it has any legs, but 90% of the time these things turn out to be… ha! I almost said nonsense there…. a load of old shite. Still, some of the comments on it from Blues were fucking hilarious though, not least because other rumours today have them signing Andros Townsend. They were more upset about that than the idea their vice captain had been fiddling kids. It made for some hilarious tweets and I have to say Evertonian gallows humour is class.

They’re also signing Demarai Gray, who I’d completely forgotten even existed until I saw this news. Apparently he left Leicester in January to go to Leverkusen and now they’re moving him on for £1.5m. Obviously made a favourable impression over there. He always seemed like a bit of a headless chicken to me. Pace, the odd bit of brilliance but generally a whole heap of ‘meh’ and about three goals a season. Basically he was Callum Hudson-Odoi because Callum Hudson-Odoi was.

That being said, three goals a season is still more than the Blues get out of Bernard and Iwobi though so this is an improvement and Rafa already has them better than they were before he arrived. It’s hilarious seeing so many of them offended by the notion of signing Andros Townsend when the fact is he walks straight into their starting eleven because he’s better than virtually any wide player they have and because there is not a cat in hell’s chase Rafa indulges “Hamez” and his lack of tracking back.

Some of those players (the forwards) are going to fucking hate Rafa within days, while others (the defenders) will love him. Calvert-Lewin’s head is going to be spinning when he has Big Dunc continuing Carlo’s work by telling him to get in the box and stay within the width of the 18 yard box, and then Rafa giving him instructions on how he is to man to mark the opposition’s defensive midfield player. 

If he needs advice on that he can always call Robbie Keane. Remember when his head was frazzled because Rafa spent ages showing him videos of Hayden Mullins and giving him specific instructions on how to stop him playing? Jesus. 

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that 'the Week that Was' is only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• dave u pinned this topic

"Niggled away at the back of your mind"? Jesus Davey it's not like you to sit on the fence. For every Sadio "building schools and hospitals", there are dozens of others ticking all the options boxes for their new hypercar or installing a second indoor swimming pool. 

I guess it's we who are really privileged, not them. We get a small wave if we sing their names at a match. And an over-edited, deeply-conservative, heavily-scripted video of one or two of them a couple of times a year.

Our cups truly runneth over. 

16 hours ago, dave u said:

Do you not have internet there? Because anywhere without social media sounds pretty damn appealing right now.

I don’t think so, that’s why I still expect fanzines to be deliver in the mail box !

• Upvote 1

You’re totally right though Dave, summer’s are shit for Liverpool fans as we have to sit and watch the Mancs and Chavs hoover up anything decent with a pulse while we do fuck all apart from being linked to no-marks or (laughably) Mbappé! We really haven’t had a stellar transfer window since 2018 while the rest (especially the scum) have been getting their shit together - Sancho and, more importantly, Varane, on paper looks excellent business (hope they’re shit on grass!). So 3yrs of pretty much sitting still instead of building on success. Oh, and does anyone really believe we bid that amount of money for Chiesa…? 

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic