Jump to content
Bjornebye

Tokyo Olympics 2020 (21)

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, Trumo said:

 

They'd both had 3 attempts and failed to clear 2.39, and I think they both realised they had nothing more to give. Tamberi was exhausted from all his cheerleading, and Barshim's jumps were becoming less and less likely to clear the mark. A weird scenario yes, but the right outcome, especially when you consider that the guy from Belarus matched them for cleared height (2.37) and only dropped out of gold medal contention on countback.

That makes sense. I hadn't watched the competition so hadn't realised how it had unfolded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The two female commentators on the gymnastics work together well , despite one sounding like she has had to leave Joanna Lumley with the last bottle of Bolly to rush to the studio and the other sounding like she has just delivered a calf on Our Yorkshire Farm.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, sir roger said:

The two female commentators on the gymnastics work together well , despite one sounding like she has had to leave Joanna Lumley with the last bottle of Bolly to rush to the studio and the other sounding like she has just delivered a calf on Our Yorkshire Farm.

The wife is a big fan of Matt Baker’s ‘positivity’. I’ll update when this transitions to a comment on my ‘negativity’. It won’t be long now. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought AP were a respected media outlet? They can't even display a medal table properly and have joined the US outlets going by total medals to keep China off the top :

 

4G4pddw.png

 

I saw this after someone linked Alan Macleod's twitter recently and he'd tweeted on it, didn't realise most or all of US media were doing the same though. Still can't believe it.

 

NYT have done the same, Washington Post, NBC, Fox News, they're pathetic. Are we supposed to believe that if the US were winning on gold medals but China had more total they'd place China on top? This is exactly why people have so little trust in the media.

 

Hopefully China pass on total soon too so they have no choice but to display them on top. Maybe they'll write some propaganda about why China being top doesn't count properly though to make themselves look even more stupid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The women's 200m final will have Thompson-Herah, Fraser-Pryce, Gabby Thomas (fastest time in the world this year), Christine Mboma (new world u 20 record holder) and Ta Lou.

 

Could be the race of the games and Flo Jo's world record might be in danger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Red Phoenix said:

I thought AP were a respected media outlet? They can't even display a medal table properly and have joined the US outlets going by total medals to keep China off the top :

 

4G4pddw.png

 

I saw this after someone linked Alan Macleod's twitter recently and he'd tweeted on it, didn't realise most or all of US media were doing the same though. Still can't believe it.

 

NYT have done the same, Washington Post, NBC, Fox News, they're pathetic. Are we supposed to believe that if the US were winning on gold medals but China had more total they'd place China on top? This is exactly why people have so little trust in the media.

 

Hopefully China pass on total soon too so they have no choice but to display them on top. Maybe they'll write some propaganda about why China being top doesn't count properly though to make themselves look even more stupid.

 

Erm, those headings clearly enable you to sort by whichever category you want, as indicated by the arrows next to them.

 

Indeed, I just reverse sorted by gold medal count on the AP website and it had Ukraine "top", with 0 golds, 1 silver and 5 bronze. OMG, call Alex Jones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've loved the Olympics so far, but the has to be a low point. Fucking Eventing on the main channel and the alternative is synchronised swimming. Flush both of these cunt sports pronto

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Erm, those headings clearly enable you to sort by whichever category you want, as indicated by the arrows next to them.

 

Indeed, I just reverse sorted by gold medal count on the AP website and it had Ukraine "top", with 0 golds, 1 silver and 5 bronze. OMG, call Alex Jones.

 

It's supposed to be an AP thing where they go on total medals instead of golds like most others do, then other US outlets do the same. I was wrong saying it was to keep China off the top though and was about to post back after looking at it further. With so much US/China crap going around lately and the US media showing medal count differently to almost everyone else I thought it was the latest petty thing they were doing. An old article where NYT state it's from AP (this takes ages to load here but gets there eventually) : https://web.archive.org/web/20120731002346/https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/2602029/US-accused-of-medal-table-spin-Beijing-Olympics-2008.html

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sifan Hassan wins the 5,000m ten hours after falling in and still winning her 1,500 metre heat. She's going for gold in the 1,500 and 10,000 too.

 

What a machine.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't believe Laurel Hubbard didn't walk that weight lifting event. The way the transgender thread was on fire the last year I'd have thought she would have walked it and fingered all the other contestants today in the backstage area. Maybe men will think twice now about transitioning, the bastards!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Can't believe Laurel Hubbard didn't walk that weight lifting event. The way the transgender thread was on fire the last year I'd have thought she would have walked it and fingered all the other contestants today in the backstage area. Maybe men will think twice now about transitioning, the bastards!

She’ll have to retreat back to her old mother’s cupboard and recharge, refocus etc..

 

Her time will come. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, YorkshireRed said:

She’ll have to retreat back to her old mother’s cupboard and recharge, refocus etc..

 

Her time will come. 

No one beating that Chinese lass. Even the Brit won the silver. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Remmie said:

I've loved the Olympics so far, but the has to be a low point. Fucking Eventing on the main channel and the alternative is synchronised swimming. Flush both of these cunt sports pronto

Agreed Rem.  Anything that can be won by a 90 year old strapped to an animal, or where the winner is decided on a whim rather than a measurement, should be fucked off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

The wife is a big fan of Matt Baker’s ‘positivity’. I’ll update when this transitions to a comment on my ‘negativity’. It won’t be long now. 

He is such an ‘enthusiast’. And the same has come across in the commentary a lot of the ‘niche’ sports. No-one trying to be clever, just clearly enjoying being a part of showcasing their sports to the wider public 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, stringvest said:

Agreed Rem.  Anything that can be won by a 90 year old strapped to an animal, or where the winner is decided on a whim rather than a measurement, should be fucked off.

Still puzzles me why darts isn't an Olympic sport. The skill involved is certainly on a par with archery or the shooting events.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

Still puzzles me why darts isn't an Olympic sport. The skill involved is certainly on a par with archery or the shooting events.

I can't agree with the skill bit, but it's deserving of a shout as an olympic sport 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, alles ist gut said:

That’s how you win a penalty shootout.

The hockey?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Em City said:

Sifan Hassan wins the 5,000m ten hours after falling in and still winning her 1,500 metre heat. She's going for gold in the 1,500 and 10,000 too.

 

What a machine.

I'm with Laura Muir on Hassan. Big cloud over all she does. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Can't believe Laurel Hubbard didn't walk that weight lifting event. The way the transgender thread was on fire the last year I'd have thought she would have walked it and fingered all the other contestants today in the backstage area. Maybe men will think twice now about transitioning, the bastards!

A distinctly average middle aged man made the Olympics, meaning a woman missed out.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, alles ist gut said:

Yes, sorry, should have been specific 

Not at all. I’d had it on in the car and had seen it heading that way

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Byrnie said:

I'm with Laura Muir on Hassan. Big cloud over all she does. 

 

I wouldn't disagree with you there, but if you're being objective about it, they're all on the juice. Doping controls in Kenya and Ethiopia are practically non-existent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×