You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tokyo Olympics 2020 (21)

Bjornebye

5 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Opening Ceremony on as I write. I do love the Olympics but it’s hard to get excited about this one, for obvious reasons.

Sport does have a way of luring you in though, so I’m hoping for some great stories to be made in the coming weeks. 

Imagine this with a crowd in the stadium though. 

• Upvote 1

On 21/07/2021 at 21:21, Champ said:

I was 9. Cut me some slack

Year i was born. First Olympics I remember was in 1980. Hugh Russell winning bronze for Ireland in the boxing and Alan Wells winning the 100m for UK 

7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I always love seeing the athletes lead out. Fair fucking play to every single one of them.

Living their dream while I'm heating up a microwave tagliatelli while sat in my boxies sweating like a pig. 

I did not need to know that

• Upvote 1

Ace, I love the olympics. Sport on most of the day, each event is usually short and sweet enough to stay interesting before it gets too tedious. They can bin all the horse shit and shooting though. I'll think of some more shit sports they could also do with getting rid of in time, don't worry. I sometimes even get into the gymnastics. 

1 minute ago, Remmie said:

Ace, I love the olympics. Sport on most of the day, each event is usually short and sweet enough to stay interesting before it gets too tedious. They can bin all the horse shit and shooting though. I'll think of some more shit sports they could also do with getting rid of in time, don't worry. I sometimes even get into the gymnastics. 

The walking race. 

• Upvote 1

Softball is being contested apparently, what the flying fuck is that about, I thought it was just a kids version of rounders/baseball? 

I guess I won't shit on it until I've watched it but it does sound like amatuer bollocks.

Humbling seeing the refugee team and reading their stories. Example:

Jamal Abdelmaji Eisa Mohammed (born 25 August 1993) is a Sudanese-born runner competing internationally over 5,000 and 10,000 metres.

In 2003, when he was 10 years old, members of the Janjaweed militia burned down his village and killed 97 people, including his father.

To find the motivation after that to not just go on, but compete at an Olympic games, is awesome.

• Upvote 1

On 21/07/2021 at 15:42, Harry's Lad said:

I feel sorry for the athletes.

They've trained so hard to compete at these Olympics, the pinnacle of their sport and it's behind closed doors, so they don't get the crowds cheering them and the applause.

Many of them will never compete at the Olympics again and they are being denied that.They must be gutted.

Really sad.

I heard Chris Boardman on the radio say it was the Olympics it doesn't matter about crowds.

7 minutes ago, Edward. said:

I heard Chris Boardman on the radio say it was the Olympics it doesn't matter about crowds.

He's entitled to his opinion of course, but personally I beg to differ.

The encouragement of tens of thousands of spectators in the stadium would likely raise performance levels in my view.

But who am I.