You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tokyo Olympics 2020 (21)

Bjornebye

Nijel Amos reinstated for the 800m final as Isaih Jewitt was deemed to have cause the fall.

That groan you just heard was from the rest of the field. For those who remember 2012, Amos was the 18 year old who finished second behind Rudisha and equalled Seb Coe's old world record in the process.

1 hour ago, Champ said:

Tomorrow 

It feels much harder to find out what’s coming up with the tv rights having gone elsewhere 

The Guardian have got a great schedule tracker where you can check what events are happening day by day.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/ng-interactive/2021/jul/29/tokyo-2020-olympics-results-live-scores-and-complete-event-schedule

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

The Guardian have got a great schedule tracker where you can check what events are happening day by day.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/ng-interactive/2021/jul/29/tokyo-2020-olympics-results-live-scores-and-complete-event-schedule

Cool. I’ll check it out. The BBC previously had a great one but I couldn’t seem to find it this time round

4 hours ago, Special K said:

I'm in the 'Morgan' category about that high jump situation.

Load of bollocks, there should have been a jump off. What next? No penalty shootouts and shared f*****ll trophies?

It is a bit odd that there was no decider. The women’s archery final was a dead heat and went to a single arrow shoot off to determine gold and silver.

3 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

So Russia is competing with the folks who were not doping? You know.

And Belarus is throwing folks in the car boot and shipping them home - but our girl Sha'Carri smoked a j and admitted to it and is out?

Shenanigans.

The Tokyo Police pitched up to the airport in that Belarus incident. Last I heard she was asking Austria for asylum.

EDIT: The BBC say she’s under police protection.

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

The Tokyo Police pitched up to the airport in that Belarus incident. Last I heard she was asking Austria for asylum.

EDIT: The BBC say she’s under police protection.

Good , isn'rt that the lot who diverted the plane by lying about a bomb threat to imprison a journalist ?

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

It is a bit odd that there was no decider. The women’s archery final was a dead heat and went to a single arrow shoot off to determine gold and silver.

They'd both had 3 attempts and failed to clear 2.39, and I think they both realised they had nothing more to give. Tamberi was exhausted from all his cheerleading, and Barshim's jumps were becoming less and less likely to clear the mark. A weird scenario yes, but the right outcome, especially when you consider that the guy from Belarus matched them for cleared height (2.37) and only dropped out of gold medal contention on countback.

• Upvote 1

With High jump can't they just use a friggin laser instead of a solid bar and calculate who jumps the highest?

Also with those 2 athletes they were offered a jump off or just to both get a gold, what kind of moron would say actually I'd like the option to lose out on a gold please?

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Brownie said:

I don’t get all the noise about them both getting gold. How can they have a jump off when they’d already failed to jump the next height up 3 times each?

They’d still be there now trying to clear it.

They go back down I think. Then if they both do that on the same attempt, they go back up again.

9 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

They go back down I think. Then if they both do that on the same attempt, they go back up again.

That wouldn’t make sense to me though. Missing out on a gold by failing a height i’d already jumped? It’s a bit of a niche sport in that sense so I have no problem with them both getting a gold.

• Upvote 1