You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tokyo Olympics 2020 (21)

Bjornebye

33 minutes ago, Em City said:

Keeley Hodgkinson times it brilliantly to win her semi final. Big chance of a medal in the final to go along with the European Indoor title she won in February. She's still 19.

Three British women in the 800 m final.

Incredibly mature run

• Upvote 1

In a similar vein to earlier, I can't understand why Thompson Herah's chances were being talked down. She's the reigning champion, and absolutely bang in form, running 10.71 to comfortably beat Fraser-Pryce a few weeks ago in Hungary.

8 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

In a similar vein to earlier, I can't understand why Thompson Herah's chances were being talked down. She's the reigning champion, and absolutely bang in form, running 10.71 to comfortably beat Fraser-Pryce a few weeks ago in Hungary.

She's been carrying an injury. That hampering her was the only way she didn't win. Brilliant performance.

1 minute ago, Byrnie said:

She's been carrying an injury. That hampering her was the only way she didn't win. Brilliant performance.

I reckon Elaine running the second fastest time in history might have been a contributing factor too, like.

Fraser-Pryce ran 10.63, the then 2nd fastest time in history, last month, is the two time Olympic champion and the greatest female sprinter of all time so naturally she was slight favourite over Thompson-Herah.

Michael Johnson made Fraser-Pryce favourite to win too so I suppose he's clueless now as well.

8 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Right, thrown by the ambiguous wording. And there wasn't any sign of injury when she ran 10.71 earlier this month.

She's only been carrying the Achilles injury for about 5 years or so. Relatively recent.

Missed the Gateshead Diamond league in May. Almost missed her National trials in June. Makes her victory today all the more impressive.

Not really ambiguous wording as I assumed you'd have known who I was taking about, seeing as you know Elaine so well.

2 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Be surprised if Fraser Price doesnt breeze (literally) this 100m final.

2 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Goodness, Fraser Price blown away!

You'd put most commentators to shame with that level of jynxery.

Speaking of commentators, who was the dickhead covering the Rugby 7's earlier? Fiji scored a try to take the lead against the Kiwis and this knobhead gets all excited and says they're in the final now, despite there being almost 5 minutes left to play. Sure enough, the Fijians didn't win.

Just now, Trumo said:

You'd put most commentators to shame with that level of jynxery.

Speaking of commentators, who was the dickhead covering the Rugby 7's earlier? Fiji scored a try to take the lead against the Kiwis and this knobhead gets all excited and says they're in the final now, despite there being almost 5 minutes left to play. Sure enough, the Fijians didn't win.

Hehehe. It's also why Im not a betting man!

Apologies if posted before, but this is one of the best interviews I’ve ever seen. 

Apparently she was going to retire but held on to get to this ‘lumpics’ but was disappointed at not winning gold last time. When she was asked why she continued to put herself through the pain and effort of training she said ‘have you ever won silver?’  

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

Apologies if posted before, but this is one of the best interviews I’ve ever seen. 

Apparently she was going to retire but held on to get to this ‘lumpics’ but was disappointed at not winning gold last time. When she was asked why she continued to put herself through the pain and effort of training she said ‘have you ever won silver?’  

Brilliant interview and what a character.

10 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

What an incredible attitude. She’s not been media trained to mentioned her opponents, just a natural empathy. Tough as fucking nails too.  

Spot on. You can see it's sincere empathy. Great girl. 

• Upvote 1