You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tokyo Olympics 2020 (21)

Bjornebye

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

That's kind of my point. If you can run 27:10, why not run 27:10? Why go along with the slower pace? Run your fastest race at your ideal pace and let others try and beat your time.

Usain Bolt could run the 100m in 9.6 seconds. What other runners did was immaterial - he just went out and ran 9.6.

When was the last time you ran? 

45 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

That's kind of my point. If you can run 27:10, why not run 27:10? Why go along with the slower pace? Run your fastest race at your ideal pace and let others try and beat your time.

Usain Bolt could run the 100m in 9.6 seconds. What other runners did was immaterial - he just went out and ran 9.6.

Well, long distance running is a bit different and your SB may be a bit deceptive. Your 27:10 was probably not run in a race where you ran alone, you had other runners "helping" you, running is different to swimming, where you swim your own race, in your own lane. If you had a 27:10 best season time, it means you are probably capable of running a steady race of maybe 27:30 or 27:40 if you had to run the entire race alone or/and in front of the group. But this will only help everybody else who can run a race in that region, at that level, beat you in the last 400 or so meters, because you would spend more physical and mental energy than your competitors. You would effectively serve as a pace maker to all other runners who can ran as fast or faster or even a little bit slower. Also, people who are faster than you may use your steady pacing at 27:30 to simply start running even faster between lets say kilometers 5 and 6 where people usually begin to suffer and destroy you if you start following them, or put a safe 50 meters distance if you don't.

So, unless you are really best in the world, by 10 to 20 seconds and don't have a strong last 400 meters, you are better off running tactically.   

40 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Great to see Jonny Brownlee finally claim an Olympic Gold. I once sat a couple of rows back from him on a plane so basically the medal’s mine as well as his. 

Congratulations Yorki never doubted you for a minute and always knew you'd come good despite what everyone else on here says about you 

• Upvote 1

I like Muller yoghurt, sue me. I knew Asher Smith would be shite in that semi, far too much pressure being put on her, and form wise she's miles off Fraser Pryce and Thompson Herah. At least the 200m is her favoured event so she's got another chance, but I think she's going to be a big let down here!