You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tokyo Olympics 2020 (21)

Bjornebye

10 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Then there’s the coach that sexually abused Biles and loads of other gymnasts. In that article the athlete actually says ‘even Larry Nasser didn’t examine me’ 

Nasser wasn't a coach, if you meant him. But his case probably reflects the level of submission to the authority the athletes (and parents) are expected to show in women's gymnastics.

Eilish McColgan seemed to be spiked and fell right out of contention in the 5,000m. Real shame as she looked very comfortable up until then and brought some great form into it as she broke Radcliffe's British record a few weeks ago.

Keely Hodgkinson safely into the 800 metres semi finals along with Gemma Reekie and Alex Bell. I can't help but feel it's going to be Hodgkinson battling fellow 19 year old prodigy, Athing Mu from the U.S, for the gold medal.

22 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Nasser wasn't a coach, if you meant him. But his case probably reflects the level of submission to the authority the athletes (and parents) are expected to show in women's gymnastics.

He was a doctor, slip of the fingers. He was an official, with slippery fingers.  

26 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Team GB currently giving a masterclass in choking in the women's f**tb*ll.

The Aussie manager was a bit of a prick. If you were an Aussie coach and couldn't even get a gig at a mens team most people would be tempted to be low-key I would imagine.

Couldn't understand why we were well in the ascendancy after going 2-1 up and instead of keeping going , just retreated to the edge of the box and let Oz just hump it forward.Bit unlucky with the two deflected Oz goals in extra time.

25 minutes ago, Em City said:

Men's 10,000 meter final on now. Joshua Cheptegei is the world record holder but he could be upset his teammate, Jacob Kiplimo (the world half marathon record holder).

Barega from Ethiopia beats out both Cheptegei and Kiplimo who win Uganda's first ever medals on the track.

6 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Really good match that women’s football, GB were probably better, but missed penalty did them in. 

Find it hard to believe that pen wasnt retaken, the keeper looked well off her line?

Girls just cant play keeper for some reason. Didnt see all the goals but most of them were headers. White(?) scored for GB from near the penalty spot with a header. It wasnt what you'd say had a lot of pace on it and the keeper still got nowhere near it.

Looks like McColgan is out of the women's 5000 after being spiked at least twice. Not sure if they'll appeal that but she clearly suffered after those incidents.

Once again distance running utterly baffles me. It's been won in a time of 27:43. The British lad trailed in 14th place on 28:09, but he's already run 27:10 this season, so surely if he runs his best race, he's in with a shot of winning? I don't get it.

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Once again distance running utterly baffles me. It's been won in a time of 27:43. The British lad trailed in 14th place on 28:09, but he's already run 27:10 this season, so surely if he runs his best race, he's in with a shot of winning? I don't get it.

Heat and humidity saps your energy especially when you arent used to running in it.

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

They started off dog slow and then wound it up as the race moved on culminating in a burn up sprint finish at the end. It's the same with virtually any championship race. The British runner would have run his 27:10 in an evenly paced race with a pacemaker running even splits all the way. 

Championship races are done in surges and the fastest runners have more ability to negotiate those as they're the quickest.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, sir roger said:

To be fair ds, the Aussie goalie looked pretty solid in the bits I saw.

Always baffled me how poor and small the goalies were in general when you have tall , athletic girls with amazing reflexes competing in volleyball and basketball.

Fair comment Roger. I only watched the first half then saw the goals. I agree with you about the size of women keepers.

10 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

A little more on Biles. 

The forum's resident gymnastics expert will be along any minute now to explain how she's wrong and she's actually a big quitter.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

You cannot run alone, also, it depends on how the race is run. For example, your best time may be 27:10 but that was probably in a race with steady pace in each kilometer, and a race you are competing in may have very slow kilometers followed by very fast ones, deliberately designed by pace makers to break other runners. Or you may not be so quick over the last 400 meters, so you may be beaten by a runner with an inferior best time (assuming you both timed your seasonal form correctly) if he can handle the pace changes better and is usually faster over the last 400 meters.

1 hour ago, SasaS said:

You cannot run alone, also, it depends on how the race is run. For example, your best time may be 27:10 but that was probably in a race with steady pace in each kilometer, and a race you are competing in may have very slow kilometers followed by very fast ones, deliberately designed by pace makers to break other runners. Or you may not be so quick over the last 400 meters, so you may be beaten by a runner with an inferior best time (assuming you both timed your seasonal form correctly) if he can handle the pace changes better and is usually faster over the last 400 meters.

That's kind of my point. If you can run 27:10, why not run 27:10? Why go along with the slower pace? Run your fastest race at your ideal pace and let others try and beat your time.

Usain Bolt could run the 100m in 9.6 seconds. What other runners did was immaterial - he just went out and ran 9.6.