You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tokyo Olympics 2020 (21)

Bjornebye

26 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Yeah, that's pretty much what was said to me when I mentioned that a post on here reduced me to tears. Gotta love getting negged and called a liar when you've just opened up about being upset.

Regardless, it's not really the thread for a tangent like this.

Was this a collective or just one person? I only ask because if it's the posts I am thinking it might be, none of you came out of that with any glory. It might not have been though. Also, if it is only one person and not a collective pile on about you being upset then why make a smarmy statement about the forum as a whole? As has been said, by and large people are unbelievably supportive to each other on here for all sorts of different things and to imply any different is extremely disingenuous. 

On the physical side of things, if this girl is not mentally and physically 100% when bolting through the air in some of these gymnastic disciplines she could very easily do herself some serious physical harm, she could easily snap her leg, or worse her neck.

20 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

On the physical side of things, if this girl is not mentally and physically 100% when bolting through the air in some of these gymnastic disciplines she could very easily do herself some serious physical harm, she could easily snap her leg, or worse her neck.

This is what I meant, its not a game of dominoes, good article this,

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/07/28/us/simone-biles-olympics-gymnastics-physical-mental-health/index.html?__twitter_impression=true

7 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

It's a very good article and what I've been saying for two pages, and those criticising her don't seem to want to acknowledge the physical risks of her continuing with the competition.

I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't compete again, at her age (a whopping 24) and with all the achievements under her belt she just might think it's not worth it.  If the experiences in that article reflect some of what Biles is going through she might not feel she has the time or the inclination to come back from this.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Moo said:

It's a very good article and what I've been saying for two pages, and those criticising her don't seem to want to acknowledge the physical risks of her continuing with the competition.

I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't compete again, at her age (a whopping 24) and with all the achievements under her belt she just might think it's not worth it.  If the experiences in that article reflect some of what Biles is going through she might not feel she has the time or the inclination to come back from this.

Yeah it can be very similar to a golfer getting the yips or a darter unable to release the dart, I think that happened to Eric Bristow, a small mental blockage and it'll play with your mind and if you add in any form of depression and the kids got issues, not issues to do with cowardice or lack of character, you don't go training in that game every morning day in day out and win a host of winners medals without being tough as teak, she's obviously not feeling well. 

30 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I think that is the All Around final - she is also to be in each of the 4 individual event finals next week.

Indeed, the All Around Final is tomorrow, the individual events don't start until Sunday so hopefully she's giving herself a chance to be involved in them rather than rush into any decisions.

26 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I wouldn't compare the yips or not being able to release a dart or throw the ball back to the pitcher to mental illness.

I'm not, I'm not a psychiatric doctor but listening to the experts she's not only suffering from one or the other but both and competing in a sport where you're twisting through the air at that speed its obviously dangerous.

As an outsider id rather the girl pulls out and looks after herself but if she does compete I hope she does well and lands safe. 

Happy for him

'A New Life': Iranian Defector Wins Silver Medal For Mongolia In Tokyo (rferl.org)

Saeid Mollaei, an Iranian defector representing Mongolia at the Tokyo Olympics, has won a silver medal in judo for his adopted country.

Mollaei, 29, lost to Japan's Takanori Nagase in the men's 81-kg judo final on July 27.

Mollaei, who won the 2018 world championship title, left Iran two years ago after being ordered to deliberately lose at a World Cup tournament to avoid fighting Israel's Sagi Muki in the final.

As a result, Iran was suspended from the sport by the International Judo Federation, although the ban was canceled earlier this year by the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

Iran regards Israel as its archfoe and its athletes usually refuse to face Israeli opponents, whether by giving up the match or failing to show up.

Mollaei initially fought for the refugee team before gaining Mongolian citizenship.

In February 2021, he fought in Israel and met Muki, who called him his "brother."

"I left everything behind me and started a new life," Mollaei said after his narrow defeat by Nagase.

6 minutes ago, Brownie said:

So no power to Biles then.

Uh, yes, power to Biles. She's free to do what she wants. I'm just saying, if I'm her teammates and she quits the team competition to then days later enter an individual competition, I wouldn't be happy. That's just me. Is that an ok enough take for you, or am I the worst person alive for thinking that? 

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

Uh, yes, power to Biles. She's free to do what she wants. I'm just saying, if I'm her teammates and she quits the team competition to then days later enter an individual competition, I wouldn't be happy. That's just me. Is that an ok enough take for you, or am I the worst person alive for thinking that? 

Not the worst, Hitler was defo worse. Stalin…..probably a toss up.

Good job you’re not a teammate.

50 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Listen, all power to Biles, but if she decides to compete in the individual events, I would hate her if I was one of her teammates.

Negged. Not for your hot take on Biles, I've quickly got bored of this debate, but because you started your sentence with the word listen. 

• Upvote 1