Jump to content
Bjornebye

Tokyo Olympics 2020 (21)

Recommended Posts

Did a Ugandan Weightlifter really expect to blend in in central Japan? 

 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/africa/57899727

 

Ugandan weightlifter Julius Ssekitoleko was found on Tuesday and is being interviewed by police after going missing from his hotel in western Japan last week. He had been scheduled to fly home on July 20 after missing a qualification spot on the Ugandan Olympic team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

These Olympics seem doomed to failure, even the Japanese people have turned against them.

 

Hope I'm wrong and hope they're a success.

 

The USWNT lost their first game, so that's a pretty good start from where I'm sitting. Arrogant fuckers.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

These Olympics seem doomed to failure, even the Japanese people have turned against them.

 

Hope I'm wrong and hope they're a success.

It is a shame, a Tokyo Olympics with a full crowd at events etc under normal circumstances would be spectacular. It's hard to have more than a passing interest in it at the moment but as you say, let's hope it's a success. 

 

Paula Bardosa is in the Spanish team (Tennis) so it's not going to be a total disaster. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

It is a shame, a Tokyo Olympics with a full crowd at events etc under normal circumstances would be spectacular. It's hard to have more than a passing interest in it at the moment but as you say, let's hope it's a success. 

 

Paula Bardosa is in the Spanish team (Tennis) so it's not going to be a total disaster. 

I feel sorry for the athletes.

 

They've trained so hard to compete at these Olympics, the pinnacle of their sport and it's behind closed doors, so they don't get the crowds cheering them and the applause.

 

Many of them will never compete at the Olympics again and they are being denied that.They must be gutted.

 

Really sad.

 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

I feel sorry for the athletes.

 

They've trained so hard to compete at these Olympics, the pinnacle of their sport and it's behind closed doors, so they don't get the crowds cheering them and the applause.

 

Many of them will never compete at the Olympics again and they are being denied that.They must be gutted.

 

Really sad.

 

110%. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

It is a shame, a Tokyo Olympics with a full crowd at events etc under normal circumstances would be spectacular. It's hard to have more than a passing interest in it at the moment but as you say, let's hope it's a success. 

 

Paula Bardosa is in the Spanish team (Tennis) so it's not going to be a total disaster. 

I have been hooked on the Olympics since Munich 1972. 
Holding the games in current circumstances doesn’t seem right on so many levels.

I can barely raise any interest in these games. It’s such a shame.

I watched that programme on the London games the other night.

Such wonderful innocent days

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Champ said:

I have been hooked on the Olympics since Munich 1972. 
Holding the games in current circumstances doesn’t seem right on so many levels.

I can barely raise any interest in these games. It’s such a shame.

I watched that programme on the London games the other night.

Such wonderful innocent days

Hahaha but Munich 1972 going ahead was ok?! 

 

 

 

I know what you mean though. Still, be good to have some extra sport to watch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Champ said:

I have been hooked on the Olympics since Munich 1972. 
Holding the games in current circumstances doesn’t seem right on so many levels.

I can barely raise any interest in these games. It’s such a shame.

I watched that programme on the London games the other night.

Such wonderful innocent days

As shit as it will be, a lot of these athletes have a limited shelf life and this is the only chance they'll ever get, especially after the cancellation last year.

 

It's shit but I'm glad it's going ahead for the poor fuckers that have spent their life trying to get into the Olympics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I cant wait. There are so many fanatastic athletes about and some amazing match ups.

 

Im hoping it wont be as shot as the football was but i appreciate thats probably optimistic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Hahaha but Munich 1972 going ahead was ok?! 

 

 

 

I know what you mean though. Still, be good to have some extra sport to watch. 

I was 9. Cut me some slack

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Champ said:

I have been hooked on the Olympics since Munich 1972. 
Holding the games in current circumstances doesn’t seem right on so many levels.

I can barely raise any interest in these games. It’s such a shame.

I watched that programme on the London games the other night.

Such wonderful innocent days

I had my doubts but the whole thing was an incredible success.

 

This opening ceremony remains one of the greatest things I've ever seen. Made me feel proud to be British for a few weeks at least. Wonderful.

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching that ceremony unfold with so many other cynics on here was one of the most uplifting things I’ve ever experienced 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Champ said:

Watching that ceremony unfold with so many other cynics on here was one of the most uplifting things I’ve ever experienced 


I was one of the biggest cynics going about is hosting the olympics. 
 

Then loved every second of it. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This France v Mexico game on Eurosport is a cracker. France just scored a penalty to bring it back to 2:1. 

 

 

EDIT: 3:1 Mexico. I don't know why the European teams bother. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×