You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Climate change - are you more arsed than you were?

Paul

How arsed are you about climate change now?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. How arsed are you about climate change now?

• Very. I do everything I possibly can to be greener.
    • Arsed. I do what I have to and a bit more as long as it doesn’t hurt my pocket.
    • It’s an issue and I do what I have to, but I’m not sweating it.
    • Climate change, schmimate change. I either don’t believe or don’t care.

It occurred to me when reading the previous poll from almost 15 years ago that my views have changed. So, vote in the poll for where you’re at now and state in the thread if you’ve changed your stance. 

By the way, in Option 2 the key word is “hurt”. So that implies that you choose to pay more (in cash or time) at times but it’s affordable for you. 

• Upvote 1

I’ve moved from option 3 to between 1 & 2. I will do some green things that cost me more money or time to be green, but not the massive stuff like ditching cars or making the house dramatically greener. When my current car lease is up in two years I will deffo go electric though. 

It’s just glaringly obvious that this shit is having very serious effects on daily life right now and is only getting worse. I still feel that ultimately it will take technological advances to change our damaging behaviour rather than simple choice, but being passive about it is no longer an option in my view. 

I've always been arsed about it but like you say, things have changed for the worse so it's more prominent in my mind. I've always been a recycler but I'm far more militant about it now. It's quite funny, my vegan missus says when I eat meat I'm doing bad things to the environment yet will think nothing of stuffing a soy milk carton in the normal bin instead of recycling. I guess everyone can and should do more, even the small things count but I do fear the damage is already done. I dread to think what society will look like in 200 years. 

I moved from 4 to 3. It shows that incessant propaganda works.

I'm still more worried about / interested in problems of waste recycling, floating islands of plastic, deforestation than global warming / climate change. There are still too many vested commercial and ideological interests in solutions (not really impressed with most cost/benefit aspects) and I will be dead before it starts seriously affecting my quality of life and long forgotten before it becomes a danger to the survival of the human race.

Have always been arsed to be honest since they started talking about the ozone layer back in the 80s, I'm fair skinned.

I've always been of the opinion though that there's little I personally can do to have an impact, when you factor in what goes on in the likes of China and the states at a literally industrial scale.

My old company summed it up, they had four recycle bins for different things but once out back they all went in the same skip.

It's pretty ironic drinking out of a PLASTIC cup from costa too but with an unusable, cardboard straw. Every little helps I suppose.

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

I've always been arsed about it but like you say, things have changed for the worse so it's more prominent in my mind. I've always been a recycler but I'm far more militant about it now. It's quite funny, my vegan missus says when I eat meat I'm doing bad things to the environment yet will think nothing of stuffing a soy milk carton in the normal bin instead of recycling. I guess everyone can and should do more, even the small things count but I do fear the damage is already done. I dread to think what society will look like in 200 years. 

You're very mistaken if you think not quite recycling correctly is equivalent to eating meat.

It takes 2,500 litres of water to produce a single hamburger after all.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/02/this-is-how-much-water-is-in-your-burger/

There's the same roadblock all the time though isnt there? Doesnt matter how much we recycle, cut our emissions, install heat pumps and the rest, if countries like China, Russia, India, Poland, Germany and a few others pump out CO2 with abandon.

It's heartbreaking seeing the seas and shore lines around the world full of plastic shit, whales, dolphins and other creatures dead in nets or choked on pieces of plastic.

Heads need fucking cracking together around the world to stop this shit else there will be no world to live on for future generations.

45 minutes ago, Em City said:

You're very mistaken if you think not quite recycling correctly is equivalent to eating meat.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/02/this-is-how-much-water-is-in-your-burger/

I'm quite aware mate. I was being satirical. 

The planet will be fine but humanity is fucked. I just hope we get to take down all these corporate CEO bastards, politicians, billionaire lobbying scumbags who have done their best to fight the climate change arguement in order to line their own pockets. I hope we get to make them jump naked on a trampoline made of rusty nails sprinkled with pickled onion crisps as we build a wall made of waste around them and seal it with a giant bin lid before filling it  slowly via a pipe with their local sewer farms finest arse juice. Only then can our brief mad max like existence continue until the only people left are those tribes who lived alongside nature untouched by the modern world and the cycle begins all over again.

I'd like to be more arsed than i am as its destroying everything bug nothings going to be done. Government will make excuses and tax us more while continuing the same path as they love the throwaway culture as it makes money. Space flight is a necessity long long term but should be a global agency not NASA,China and cunt billionaire vanity projects. 

I'm somewhere between 2-3

I don't drive anyway but if i did if it was cheap enough I'd go electric. Same if i owned my own home,i don't and likely never will i would try and get solar panels in

2 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

I work in the renewables industry and I am getting increasingly pessimistic. Only today Sky are reporting that the Russian permafrost is starting to melt. That will put 1.5 x as much Co2 in the atmosphere as is already there. If that happens then pretty much anything else we do is a waste of time. I think within our lifetimes the paradigm will shift from preventing global warming to dealing with the inevitable consequences. 

I think this has shifted already, the question is only the extent of the consequences, which at the moment nobody knows. It's about slowing down, not preventing.

I dug out this article I read years ago on soil erosion. It's a fascinating and utterly terrifying read.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/mar/25/treating-soil-like-dirt-fatal-mistake-human-life

"Soon after that, the business minister, Matthew Hancock, announced that he was putting “business in charge of driving reform”: trade associations would be able “to review enforcement of regulation in their sectors.” The NFU was one the first two bodies granted this privilege. Hancock explained that this “is all part of our unambiguously pro-business agenda to increase the financial security of the British people.” But it doesn’t increase our security, financial or otherwise. It undermines it."

Matt Hancock, before he made his name killing tens of thousands of his countrymen through negligence and incompetence on Covid, he was laying the groundwork for ecological catastrophe. And what forced him to resign? CCTV of him gobbing his assistant in his parliamentary office. World is messed up.

On 21/07/2021 at 11:27, Em City said:

Surely it depends how thirsty the cow is.

We seem to be fucked to be honest it’s too little too late. Not sure what that means for us in the general population, we’ll certainly feel the brunt of it.

Hopefully we can pull a few technological improvements to make it a little better but there’s not much to be done when the permafrost melts as that will have a cascade effect.

It’s such a shame the technology that has always just “been around the corner” hasn’t come off things like large scale carbon capture, fusion power and efficient de-salinisation to help reverse a lot of the damage we are doing. It’s all very negative at the moment and I’m worried about the future. 

Has anyone got any positive news about this as it’s hard to find the rays of

light when talking about climate change.

The problem is quite simply overpopulation, humanity's rush to a misplaced definition of prosperity and over-reliance on motorised transport. So I do what I can - We're mostly vegetarian, I walk to work and have no kids. Everything else is just an elastoplast.

Winds me up how the so-called developed world has effectively outsourced most of its manufacturing industry to China in the last 30 years. And then have the brass balls to crow about how we've reduced emissions in that time and shouldn't the naughty Chinese now clean up their act? But I digress..

I'm not advocating a childless agrarian life, but we should definitely be creating a global, non-profit, carbon-free energy grid as a matter of urgency. And I'd be wanting to see nuclear energy right in the mix. Energy and clean water should be a global right divested of any profit-motive.

On 21/07/2021 at 10:02, Paul said:

I’ve moved from option 3 to between 1 & 2. I will do some green things that cost me more money or time to be green, but not the massive stuff like ditching cars or making the house dramatically greener. When my current car lease is up in two years I will deffo go electric though. 

It’s just glaringly obvious that this shit is having very serious effects on daily life right now and is only getting worse. I still feel that ultimately it will take technological advances to change our damaging behaviour rather than simple choice, but being passive about it is no longer an option in my view. 

I was about to begin my response, ‘hugely arsed’ but then I remembered my audience, so, yes, like you, Paul, aiming for 1 but in reality a 2.

I’ve been a big recylcler for years but over time I’m become increasingly conscious of our impact on the planet and the mess we’re storing up for our children and future generations. It now features in a lot of my decision making, from comparing the amount and kind of packaging on things I buy to considering the ethics of air and long distance travel in general. My thinking has been influenced by stuff I’ve watched on tv, reading and the views of others around me. The pandemic, too, has certainly provided focus to such thinking. I see myself, by an accident of birth, having been born in the hugely affluent ‘first world’ and accustomed to consumption in all its guises but now find myself questioning my role as a consumer of ‘stuff’ and where my responsibilities lie in, at the very least, trying to limit my impact on the planet and it’s resources, from eating less meat (quite easy), to buying less stuff (getting harder) to using less fossil fuel, from using the car less, considering the energy we use in running our home and questioning our need and the way we travel to places (some big and less comfortable changes involved here)

Capitalism has clearly been a huge driver for the upsurge in population and consumption leading to a point where we’re now facing the destruction of the planet as we know it. Yes, capitalism has also led to huge scientific and technological advances but if the pandemic has shown us anything it’s the unwillingness of governments to put aside their own popular or even national interests to make tough choices that work for the good of all. I’m not optimistic

• Upvote 1

I’m probably still at 2 but getting increasingly fucked off with the majority of people not giving a fuck about anything. My decision to not have kids looks better and better with each passing year. 

I’d be gutted raising little people on this shit tip of a planet. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, TheBitch said:

I’m probably still at 2 but getting increasingly fucked off with the majority of people not giving a fuck about anything. My decision to not have kids looks better and better with each passing year. 

I worry for grandkids I may one day get.

39 minutes ago, TheBitch said:

Another vote for increasingly hating the ‘not giving a fuck people’