You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

7 hours ago, m0e said:

If Atletico beat City, they'll beat us in the semi and we will win the Champion's League

Nah.

Gerrard will pull off a result last day of the season.

We’ll win Saturday and then beat Palace in the Final.

We’ll beat Real Madrid in Paris.

Revenge is a dish best served cold - Old Klingon Proverb.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Aventus said:

Extra time and pens please.

Plus a niggling injury for De Bruyne wouldn't go amiss.  Nothing serious but something that keeps him out of games for rest of the season. 

How underrated do people think Modric was while at Spurs (by the league, not spurs fans)?

Always had him down as a quality player, one of the best in the league in his position but never a player I really coveted for Liverpool. Looking back I don't really know why not, he was clearly a great player in hindsight. 

Lack of goals, I guess...

Villarreal will be difficult to overcome for anyone, even City.  Refs will side with them on a few things, the old narrative bias always effects refs. 

They are hard working but also technically tidy, lots of small passes and intelligent movement.  Gerard Moreno and Gio Lo Celso are constant dangers but also narky cunts who will leave a foot in on the sneak, but roll around in agony if caught. 

I've been watching back the first leg game v Bayern. 

They aren't a bad side, but we can't really ask for more than a semi final against a team whose record is 12/10/9 in La Liga, particularly having watched the runaway leaders of that division, last night. Beating Bayern is a fine feat but scoring twice over 180 minutes from your only shots on target would be difficult to replicate. Be good to see Alby back.

Villarreal is a great tie if we progress tonight, as we’ve never really fallen into complacency when we’ve been favourites under Klopp. They’re clearly a very good side though and their achievements for a place with a population of 50,000 are amazing. Emery’s record before and after Arsenal says more about Arsenal than about him. 

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, sir roger said:

They aren't a bad side, but we can't really ask for more than a semi final against a team whose record is 12/10/9 in La Liga, particularly having watched the runaway leaders of that division, last night. Beating Bayern is a fine feat but scoring twice over 180 minutes from your only shots on target would be difficult to replicate. Be good to see Alby back.

Agree. 

Watching them last night was like watching an old Benitez performance from us - especially like the Juventus & Chelsea 2005 away games. 

They are obviously well organised, hard to break down and have pace on the break.

Should we get through tonight, we need a blistering start at Anfield. I know it’s all common sense but they’d be delighted with 0-0 or 1-0 at Anfield. If they have to go for it in Spain, I’m not convinced they could go toe to toe with us.

56 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

…. If they have to go for it in Spain, I’m not convinced they could go toe to toe with us.

There aren’t many who could, especially if we’re on form.

city and Real are probably two who could, but if we play as well as we can against anyone, then we win.

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

They're a bit better than their La Liga record suggests. They basically had all of their forwards injured for about the middle third of the season, which is why they kept drawing 0-0 or 1-1. They've been patchy in the league recently because they've focused almost entirely on these European games. 

We should be beating them but I think it'll be by the odd goal over the two legs. 

Emery has an unreal record in European competitions, he clearly knows what he's doing. 

There was a few times though last night where they clumsily played it from the back and I thought we'll rip these apart if they pull that shit with us. 

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

They're a bit better than their La Liga record suggests. They basically had all of their forwards injured for about the middle third of the season, which is why they kept drawing 0-0 or 1-1. They've been patchy in the league recently because they've focused almost entirely on these European games. 

Sounds a bit like a couple of our seasons under Rafa, who wrote the book on Spanish managers overachieving in Europe. While not a patch on us, they seem a very functional and well drilled side. 

4 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Villarreal will be difficult to overcome for anyone, even City.  Refs will side with them on a few things, the old narrative bias always effects refs. 

They are hard working but also technically tidy, lots of small passes and intelligent movement.  Gerard Moreno and Gio Lo Celso are constant dangers but also narky cunts who will leave a foot in on the sneak, but roll around in agony if caught. 

I've been watching back the first leg game v Bayern. 

Good, a bit of scouting. 

Any other observations?

2 minutes ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

Good, a bit of scouting. 

Any other observations?

Well last night's game wasn't the key game, the first one was, when it began all even. 

They were lucky to score, the deflected assist sat perfectly, but they were working their bollocks off and pressing all over the pitch.  

Emery is a top manager, his side have no right to be this far advanced in the CL, but remember that United beat these twice in the group stage.  

As important as our game tonight is to allow us to progress in the CL, the key fixture of the evening is Buckie Thistle v Wick Academy in the Highland League. A game which Buckie Thistle need to win to go within a point of leaders, Fraserburgh. Close on goal difference as well.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Em City said:

Madrid might go all the way just based on Modric and that Benzema-Vinicius combo.

Havertz would have been perfect for us.

Wouldn’t fear them in the slightest.  Chelsea should have knocked them out easily last night.

1 hour ago, Harry Squatter said:

Man Utd fans on Twatter today:

"The scousers having the easiest run to the final ever"

Forgetting that we beat Atletico home and away in the group stage. The team who went on to knock them out in the last round. 

Im pretty sure those are the same mancs who were saying we wouldnt get out of the group stages. So fuck 'em.

The logic of some fans is bizarre and simply down to traditional names. Guarantee if we had to face Juventus or Bayern in a potential semi final all of them would be saying how we are getting knocked out or they will be tough games.

Yet its going to be easy against a team who are well coached and well organised by a manager with a great European record.  On a fraction of the budget of the two traditional European superpowers that they've knocked out. 

Was honestly a bit unsure who I wanted to play in the semi-final (if/when we get there) before the two games between Bayern and Villareal. 

Having seen them both would have preferred Bayern, as their naivety and lack of defensive structure would have played right into our hands. Villareal are (unsurprisingly) a mirror image of the Sevilla teams that did well in Europe. What they lack in individual player quality, their teamwork and smart passing (as well as experience) more than make up for. I think they are fully capable of playing through our press, and they have decent footballers able to supply Danjuma on the counter.

I still think we're heavy favourites, but we need to be clinical in front of goal for this to be the easy ride some of our supporters are hoping and expecting it to be.

6 hours ago, El Rojo said:

Sounds a bit like a couple of our seasons under Rafa, who wrote the book on Spanish managers overachieving in Europe. While not a patch on us, they seem a very functional and well drilled side. 

Yes, in fact there are many similarities between Emery and Benitez. I think the former has quite a lot of respect for the latter.