You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

11 minutes ago, LFC 6 Times said:

To be honest, it’s pretty minor in the grand scheme of things. After watching us the past month, you’re telling me Phil wouldn’t be an absolutely brilliant option, rather than watching Hendo and Milner toil.

What, disrespecting your manager, teammates and fans is pretty minor? Not in my world, it isnt.

• Upvote 2

Just now, an tha said:

I am hopeful over both, somewhat unconvinced by Jones but open to being proven wrong....if we had deeper squad options/reliablility in midfield i would have sent Jones out on loan for a year this season, feel we would learn a lot about him and of course he would benefit.

Elliott could be anything - lots and lots of potential, lets hope he reaches it with us.

Just feel that we perhaps should be aiming higher right now with that potential developing nicely behind.

We definitely still need to spend big on an established midfielder in the summer. 

6 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

We definitely still need to spend big on an established midfielder in the summer. 

I can see the problem with this plan...

IMO our midfield needs major surgery - too many crocks/sub standard players and ageing players past best.

Personally i feel that surgery should start in this window...its too much to do in just summer to fix it - but clearly it would depend on getting rid of likes of Oxlade and or Keita and that is easier said than done.

1 minute ago, LFC 6 Times said:

He wanted to leave, players have done far worse than Coutinho. He never down tooled for us, in fact he was brilliant from aug - jan 2017/18. He seemed really well liked and respected by the rest of the squad. 

Actually, he did down tools once Barcelona wanted the deal to go ahead.

Like I said, loved him when he was here but you dont shit on your own.

7 minutes ago, LFC 6 Times said:

He wanted to leave, players have done far worse than Coutinho. He never down tooled for us, in fact he was brilliant from aug - jan 2017/18. He seemed really well liked and respected by the rest of the squad. 

He did down tools or are you forgetting the mysterious back injury that got better in time for him to play for his country bt then came back in time for our games.

He had his time, done pretty well, his departure allowed us to improve the squad so I have no real malice towards him but I wouldn't have him back.

He scored 12 goals and was regularly our best player, including a hat trick in December in the CL and a cracker against Swansea in his penultimate game.

Im just desperate for us to have brilliant players and a bit of creativity from midfield and he would offer that. I think his quality outweighs any issues from when he left, water under the bridge as far as I’m concerned.

1 minute ago, Chocoholic said:

If we signed him back again, it would make us look like the desperate needy ex, willing to accept that people will walk all over you and then have them back anyway when they've blown their steam off elsewhere.

Yeah those days should be done. Less than two years ago people were talking of a new liverpool era of domination and rather than strive to keep improving we've acted like we've completed football and nobody else will bother to improve. Standing still is going backwards.

Maybe one for the small pleasures thread on the mighty GF but it’s football related so inserted here.

Out for some ales with a few mates this afternoon. One of them is a great guy but suffers badly from Leeds United delusion and a capacity to argue black is white when drink has been taken. 

Usually I ignore him but was feeling frisky today so when he was slagging Stevie G. off and the signing of Coutinho I pointed out that his own manager is no great shakes, given the difference in experience and time spent at their current clubs.

Nothing spicy but it got a little heated. I extracted myself from the situation and went to the bar.

When I got back it was 2-2 with a certain little Brazilian bagging the equaliser. I took much pleasure in saying nothing. 

Small pleasures. 

• Upvote 4

The City run should have come off the rails, a natural occurrence, when getting to games 6 or 7 of the run, but instead we saw something else.  

A red card and pen helped them to a 1-0 win v Wolves, then utter capitulations from Leeds and Leicester that might otherwise have been a bump in the road.  

It helps when you can always put a very good XI on the pitch, and that's all it takes during December.  That's where the money turns things their way.  

1 hour ago, fungus said:

The way he left? I'm old and my memory is going... Remind me please, don't recall any issues oh nevermind...

The report reads: “Coutinho had been complaining of back pain and when a scan revealed nothing was wrong with him, it was decided then it was better to play along with the façade - publically at least - in an attempt to try and limit the attention around his behaviour and allow Liverpool’s season to begin with less disruption than there would have been otherwise.”

The conversation at the time was around the fact back injuries are hard to prove/diagnose. If a player says their back hurts when they move in a certain direction then there isn't a scan or doctor who can prove otherwise. 

Whether it was a fake injury or not is another conversation. 

I'm in the camp of being annoyed that he left, but also thinking he has learned his lesson and I would welcome him back. 

3 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Coutinho wouldn't have scored that goal for us because we don't get that far into the box and put the ball across the goal for a tap in. 

It's weird we don't seem to do that much. Why dont we mix it up  City used to always do bus parking sides by getting to the byline and hitting it across goal. Were very rigid in our patterns of play.

I was reading villa fans opinions on Gerrard most are happy but there's some who see the flaws and are worried and I think christ he's been there 5 minutes working with new players a side he hasn't built and you're Aston Villa you expect a new manager to come in and suddenly you're winning every game like peak Barcalona. I've watched villa more since he took over and yeah there's weaknesses they're a mid table side they're going to have them but some of their play and grit has been exceptional. It's longevity that will show Gerrards ability as a manager once the players shine for Gerrard the player has worn off and see if they still buy into his ideas. He's nailing the media side though.