You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Barcelona are a total mess. At every level. They've got some good young players coming through, but the squad is piss poor. There's no real stars in the team anymore. Maybe De Jong, at a push. The bigger names that they do have are all ageing. Their recent transfers have been fairly disastrous, with Coutinho and Dembele in particular not justifying the prices paid. 

Fabrizio Romano reckons they're pushing for Xavi as the new manager. Whoever gets it will need 3 to 4 seasons to turn the current mess around. And then there's the question of how? I listened to a podcast the other day about Ronaldinho's arrival at Barcelona and how he'd helped to get them out of a lull, having finished 6th the season before. It touched on how the loan signing of Edgar Davids also played a huge part in revitalising the club. They seem to be in a similar state now. A massive rebuild is needed. They have been hit badly by Covid, do competing at the top tier of the transfer market will likely be difficult for them. So, they need to be shrewd - like the opposite of how they were when jibbing off Suarez. And, they might need to rely heavily on the youth system until their finances are in a better place. That option requires patience from their entitled fan base though and there's no guarantee of them granting such a luxury to the new manager. It's one of the biggest gigs for a football manager to get but, in the current circumstances, you'd be mad to take on such a challenge. 

Yeah it will be Xavi in at Barcelona - apparently he's said he wants it this time.

They'll have to go full on youth team to rebuild you'd think, with maybe a couple of shrewd signings alongside one or two of the old heads.

Maybe as a more recent club legend than Red Ron he'll get more time.

7 hours ago, manwiththestick said:

I stopped watching that in 1999, is that Chamberlain woman still on it, she's gotta be knocking on now?

I saw her on catchphrase recently, she was on it with John Barnes and the pundit who didn't realise there had been a red card (totally forgotten his name). She won by loads. She definitely looked older. I don't think her career has progressed like the guy she presented it with.

1 hour ago, suzy said:

Loved it! So pleased City are out and someone else gets a chance at this cup!

Anyone know why we have to wait til Saturday  for the draw?

Then shiteness of modern football?

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, sir roger said:

Radamel Falcao must be in his 40's shirley.

Impressive stuff by Bayern , having 62% of possession , 8 shots on target to 7 and 9 corners to 2 , and getting beaten 5-0 by Gladbach.

Full first team too and no red cards

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, suzy said:

Loved it! So pleased City are out and someone else gets a chance at this cup!

Anyone know why we have to wait til Saturday  for the draw?

I am guessing that Sky see it as a chance to get viewers to realise that Soccer AM is still on and hopefully retain a few thereafter. Pete was probably more succinct in his post.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, No2 said:

I read a piece awhile back that said Red Ron wasn't asked yet because they couldn't afford to. They will have a budget of €1.3m to replace him if memory serves me well.

That probably stretches to (checks notes) Gareth Ainsworth, Mickey Mellon or one of the judges from Strictly.