You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

Didn’t realise the Premiership backed the clubs.

Yes, they should be telling them to fuck off.

All the PL and EFL clubs backed the stance of not releasing players to red list countries.

As for the FA, they arent getting a joint World Cup with Ireland after the scenes at Wembley during the Euros. The CL still being held there is a UEFA decision, not FIFAs.

So the FA should side with the PL and EFL and tell FIFA to do one.

Total cunts.

I despise international football...and how a fucking poxy national association can stop via fifa a clubs very highly paid and very expensively recruited employees from doing the jobs they are employed to do i just don't fucking know.

Ridiculous.

And of course we are affected worse than any other team....if this shite goes on all season with every poxy break it probably costs us any hope of title and makes top 4 touch and go.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

If it goes through now, much less if it continues all season I can see clubs writing into contracts that the players will not be allowed to play for national teams. There is simply too much money involved for this to go away quietly.

Absolutely, and I think something along those lines is long overdue.

Certainly none of the Brazilian players should be released for any more games this season if it’s going to be a red list and ban for some of them - their FA should have been incredibly grateful that they were available at all, but have instead done this.

Given the current circumstances, if the players in question are of the sort of attitude and mentality we want, they’ll accept that.

3 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

If it goes through now, much less if it continues all season I can see clubs writing into contracts that the players will not be allowed to play for national teams. There is simply too much money involved for this to go away quietly.

The issue is many players care more about playing for their country than their club. 

2 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

We didn't that's why we are now being punished. However if we had let them go, they would have had to quarantine for 10 days when they got back, so a five day ban works out better for us. 

How ridiculous! How have Brazil got any jurisdiction over our league?! I’m gobsmacked!

1 minute ago, suzy said:

How ridiculous! How have Brazil got any jurisdiction over our league?! I’m gobsmacked!

The Brazilian FA have used a Fifa rule  to ban the players of the clubs that refused to release their players. However I think they have made a mistake by not banning Richarlison at Everton as I don't see how they can selectively decide which clubs they want to have banned? It should have to be all or none. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, suzy said:

I don’t understand this - I thought we didn’t let our Brazilian players go?

That is why they are doing what they are doing.

National associations can go to FIFA and request players who have not been released by their clubs for international duty are banned from playing for their clubs for 5 days after the date of the last international they were not released for.

It's fucking ridiculous, but it is sadly a known and standing situation....was flagged up on here by people including myself before the international break.

If our game v Milan was Tuesday they'd be banned for that too....

It can't go on like this all season at each break...it is gonna fucking kill us if it does.

4 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

The Brazilian FA have used a Fifa rule  to ban the players of the clubs that refused to release their players. However I think they have made a mistake by not banning Richarlison at Everton as I don't see how they can selectively decide which clubs they want to have banned? It should have to be all or none. 

Exactly very naive.

1 minute ago, an tha said:

That is why they are doing what they are doing.

National associations can go to FIFA and request players who have not been released by their clubs for international duty are banned from playing for their clubs for 5 days after the date of the last international they were not released for.

It's fucking ridiculous, but it is sadly a known and standing situation....was flagged up on here by people including myself before the international break.

Thanks, it’s mad. I was relieved when they didn’t go but didn’t realise this could then happen. 

4 minutes ago, suzy said:

Exactly very naive.

Thanks, it’s mad. I was relieved when they didn’t go but didn’t realise this could then happen. 

Clubs saw it as lesser of two evils.

10 days quarantine on return if let them go meant can't even train, miss more games.....5 days this way they can at least train.

All that said though it is fucking ridiculous and it simply can't go on like this...we are lucky Milan is on Weds not Tues or they'd miss that too.

I do feel the Brazilian FA have fucked up with that big nosed bitter prick though....surely they can't invoke this ban and decide to exclude one player.....and why the fuck is Firmino banned (I believe he is anyway, if wrong then hands up) - he is injured.

The clubs need to fight this and hard - it is crucial they do.....going to be across season and we can't afford it to be case....bad enough with fucking AFCON and the ridiculous frequency of breaks for international shite already...this just exacerbates the problems and could kill our season.

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately the players bar a very tiny few like to play for their countries.

There’s always been tension between club and country but the shite of the past few years like introduction of the fucking Nations League and 3 games in the breaks, and now the latest shite with these potential bans has really exacerbated the problems.

The clubs should be all over this with "The players are our employees, very highly paid and very expensively acquired....we pays their wages and they should not be stopped from doing the jobs they are employed by us to do over this dispute?”

Whilst they are on an additional question should be “Does compensation for injuries incurred on International duty truly compensate the clubs?”.....and get that shite sorted too.

With the money now invested by clubs and club supporters and blatantly corrupt organisations in charge of the game something has to give.

It’s not just about the players being the clubs employees or even the players welfare - though that is an issue too - but the fundamental issue of control.......Legally the clubs have little clout regarding international football as it stands but with the big clubs top lawyers that could change...we all saw what Citeh's lawyers did to UEFA...

I thought the ESL was dead in the water - now I’m not so sure....it or something similar, with very different rules and a different relationship with international football may be a way the biggest clubs who are hurt by this shite the most look to get themselves away from it.

IMO they should just stop all international football until this covid situation is much, much more under control across the globe.

If the PL doesnt have the balls to override this FIFA sanction then, it should be a wake up call to these international players who end up being 'suspended.' This is how highly your national FA, whoever it is, thinks of you.

They are quite happy to stop you working for your employer and stop your fans seeing you in action. They dont give a stuff about you, they just see you as their chattel to do with as they please as they want.

17 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Looks like this could be a potential get out. 

There's talk of Government intervention and easing of the red list quarrantine rules if FIFA agrees to the concession.

The Government is considering relaxing its red list restrictions for Premier League footballers in a bid to ease the game's escalating club versus country crisis, the Daily Telegraph understands.

Potential solutions to ensure clubs will release players in the next window have been drawn up by senior Whitehall figures and are now under consideration by Public Health England.

Full exemptions appear unlikely, but a compromise - which could even allow Tottenham and Aston Villa's four Argentinian players to return earlier than expected - appears close to being reached.

A solution this week is possible although senior footballing figures fear it will be too late for Brazil to change their mind in stopping their eight star players featuring in England's top tier this weekend.

In total, 11 players are now banned from playing this weekend following a backlash from South America against a Premier League pact to stop stars from travelling before the international window opened.

Richard Masters, the Premier League chief executive, had written to clubs to say he is still hopeful of striking a solution, but on Wednesday the league was dealt its heaviest blow as Brazil confirmed it would join other nations triggering five-day sanctions affecting Liverpool, the Manchester clubs, Chelsea and Leeds United.

The furore following the farce involving health authorities stopping Brazil's match with Argentina after just eight minutes on Sunday comes a fortnight after Fifa president Gianni Infantino wrote to Boris Johnson to urge him to give footballers allowances to play games in red list countries.

Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden is understood to be pushing for a solution, having played a key role ensuring Government previously showed flexibility in granting exemptions around Euro 2020, Wimbledon and the Indian cricket team travelling to England.

Senior figures within world football are also increasingly optimistic that allowances are now within reach to avert another club versus country spat in October and November.

The Telegraph revealed how the Government had previously suggested players could see out their quarantine period at St George's Park, but that option was swiftly rejected by the clubs.

As it stands, the clubs who held firm on an arrangement to stop players from travelling to red list destinations prior to the current window are now subject to five-day sanctions preventing them from using them in club matches. Clubs have no choice but to follow the Fifa rule as they would be effectively fielding ineligible players if they chose to ignore the governing body. There is no appeal process for such a ruling. Instead, the clubs may need to make direct representations to Brazil to ask the national body to revoke its decision.

Liverpool and City are understood to believe Fifa has no basis to sanction given the extraordinary circumstances around Covid-19 travel rules which prevented them being able to report for international duty.

The ban currently rules out three Liverpool players, Roberto Firmino, Fabinho and Alisson; Manchester City's Ederson and Gabriel Jesus; and Leeds forward Raphinha. Wolves' Raul Jimenez, Newcastle's Miguel Almiron and Watford's Francisco Sierralta are also affected as Mexico, Paraguay and Chile had previously backed sanctions.

Chelsea's Thiago Silva and Manchester United's Fred will also be missing from Tuesday's fixtures, but Everton's Richarlison has been spared the sanction, and can play against Burnley on Monday because he had been involved in the Olympics and other matches this summer.

Fifa, meanwhile, had announced on Tuesday night that Brazil was facing disciplinary proceedings alongside Argentina over the chaotic scenes that saw the visiting team marched off the pitch on Sunday for playing four Premier League-based players in Sao Paulo.

Uruguay has not asked for the rule to be triggered yet. The punishment is arguably favourable that the 10 day isolation that players would have faced had they been released.

Premier League clubs had unanimously decided not to release players for international matches played in red list countries due to Fifa’s current position not to extend its temporary release exception for players required to quarantine on their return from international duty. However, Tottenham and Villa's Argentine contingent ended up travelling to South America regardless.

Charlie Marshall, the European Club Association chief executive, said the chaos involving Tottenham's Cristian Romero and Giovani Lo Celso and Aston Villa pair Emiliano Martinez and Emiliano Buendia illustrated why the clubs should not be punished

"We don't think there should be sanctions because if a player has to quarantine he is unavailable to immediately play for his club again, so it would be longer than the agreed release period," he said at an ECA general assembly in Geneva.

Andrea Radrizzani, of Leeds United, had also praised Raphinha for sticking with the club. "We invited him to make a decision and he decided no," the Italian added. "He showed great respect for his club and the Premier League in giving up this opportunity to play for his country for the first time."

From the torygraph.

It isn't about the PL 'overriding' FIFA.

It is about the PL supporting the clubs to get FIFA to see reason and not grant the Brazilian federation it's request.

The PL supported the clubs in their decision to not send players and urged FIFA to find agreeable solutions....this will only get sorted by sensible and reasoned argument, pointing out all the issues that are relevant and that were raised at the time of the decision being made to not send players and the PL making their statement (linked below) backing it.

Trying to play the cunts with FIFA/defying them etc will only make things worse.

The governments/FIFA et al and the associations all need to come together to stop this shite happening again.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/2231483