You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

6 hours ago, No2 said:

Lawrenson is before my time but his name is never really mentioned among the greats of the Irish game, probably because he never played in an international tournament. Houghton is definitely up there, probably top of the class in the next bracket. I'll amend my point to say the top 10 irish players are all Irish born and breed.

Roy Keane

Giles

Brady

McGrath 

Heighway 

Ronnie Whelan

Robbie Keane

Damien Duff

Irwin

O'Leary

We have had tonnes that weren't born in Ireland but only because they're parents were forced to emigrate, they are as Irish as the names above. In general the lads we had to go Googling their grannies have been filler uppers and mostly shit.

McGrath and O'Leary were born in England. 

5 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

True. But nobody would claim they fit into the Plastic Paddy category.

No, but quite frankly I think terms like Plastic Paddy are offensive to those of us who are part of the Irish diaspora. 

Incidentally, does anyone think that players like Harry Maguire, Declan Rice, Michael Keane, Harry Kane, James Maddison, Jack Grealish, Patrick Bamford and Callum Wilson wouldn't walk into the Ireland team? All were eligible. 

16 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Stadium full of Hungary fans all boo England taking the knee despite being warned it will lead to bans. "Booing the knee isn't racist" Yes it fucking is you lying cunts. 

Makes a difference to England ‘fans’ booing their team & tweeting racist abuse to black players though.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

No, but quite frankly I think terms like Plastic Paddy are offensive to those of us who are part of the Irish diaspora. 

Incidentally, does anyone think that players like Harry Maguire, Declan Rice, Michael Keane, Harry Kane, James Maddison, Jack Grealish, Patrick Bamford and Callum Wilson wouldn't walk into the Ireland team? All were eligible. 

I take your point. My father was born on Merseyside and was no less Irish for it. 

But there are some seriously "manufactured" cases. Tony Cascarino being about the most obvious... 

11 minutes ago, an tha said:

Mancs get 'special dispensation' for that shithouse to wear the 7 shirt.

Absolute bollocks.

Magnanimous of Cavani. I'd have told him to fuck right off with his CR7 bollocks.  No doubt the commercial behemoth saw pound signs at the amount of merchandise they could shift with the greasy cunt on.

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Unfortunately, it’s a lot less likely that a player with even a sniff of an England chance will declare for Ireland these days. 

Aside from the gap in status of the two national sides in footballing terms, money plays a huge part. I don’t think Grealish would have cost Man  City £100m if he’d stuck with Ireland. Similarly, the hugely overrated Rice wouldn’t have a price tag of £60m or more.

These lads have agents from an early age, and no agent in their right mind is going to advise them to go with Ireland post-underage/friendlies as they’re automatically a lot less marketable (and of considerable less value to the agent). 

3 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Unfortunately, it’s a lot less likely that a player with even a sniff of an England chance will declare for Ireland these days. 

Aside from the gap in status of the two national sides in footballing terms, money plays a huge part. I don’t think Grealish would have cost Man  City £100m if he’d stuck with Ireland. Similarly, the hugely overrated Rice wouldn’t have a price tag of £60m or more.

These lads have agents from an early age, and no agent in their right mind is going to advise them to go with Ireland post-underage/friendlies as they’re automatically a lot less marketable (and of considerable less value to the agent). 

I'm not sure the emotional connection with Ireland is as keenly felt these days, either... 

20 minutes ago, Vector Sigma said:

Magnanimous of Cavani. I'd have told him to fuck right off with his CR7 bollocks.  No doubt the commercial behemoth saw pound signs at the amount of merchandise they could shift with the greasy cunt on.

As always in modern game its all about the money.

Shite.