You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the Week that Was (Jul 11-16 2021)

tlw content

theweekthatwas.jpg

Sunday Jul 11:

The diary has been a break during the Euros but we’re back on track now and there’s a couple of things worth recapping.

Firstly, Argentina beat Brazil 1-0 last to win the Copa America. Messi finally won something with his country. I’m glad, not specifically for him but because this was their first tournament since Diego passed away so I’m glad they won it.

The real story here though wasn’t Argentina. It was Brazil, and specifically their buffoon coach who picked Ederson over Alisson, Fred over Fabinho and that Richarlison cunt over Firmino. I don’t know what the reaction to this will be in Brazil but if an England manager made three decisions as completely fucking outrageous as that he’d be run out of the country, and rightly so.

Brazil have always been a really weird footy nation though. They have some of the best players in the world but have nearly always insisted in also picking some of the worst too, almost like they’re trying to give the opposition a chance. 

The other main thing that’s happened during the hiatus is of course Rafa becoming Everton manager. My thoughts on this are that I couldn’t give a fuck but that I know it’s going to be hilarious and won’t end well for him or them.

As far as I’m concerned Rafa has the right to go wherever he wants and it doesn’t upset me at all that he’s gone there. But then I don’t care about him one way or another. I don’t wish him well and I don’t wish him any ill either. I can imagine that those who still love the guy are feeling a bit conflicted now as it’s weird as fuck seeing him in their training gear taking sessions with Big Dunk.

He’s got no chance there though because there’s such a high proportion of their fans that hate him, and justifiably so. I don’t blame them at all. They’ve hated him for years and now they’re expected to just put that to one side because that lunatic Moshiri went against their wishes and hired him. Fuck that, I completely see their point.

Kenwright didn’t want him either, nor did Brands. We know how this movie ends because we’ve seen it time and again. He’ll have his crew briefing the press against Brands before the month is out. He’s done it at every club he’s been at but this situation is way more volatile than he’s had before because he doesn’t have the fans onside this time.

Maybe he’ll win them over with some good results, but it won’t last. As soon as they have any kind of bad run it’s going to kick off and I’m well and truly here for those fireworks.

So what else? We haven’t signed anyone else despite lots of rumours, especially about midfielders. Italy won the Euros but that’s been covered in the round up so no need to delve further into it here.

Monday Jul 12:

Fabrizio Romano says we’re probably going to sign Renato Sanchez. So in other words, we’re not signing Renato Sanchez. Just waiting for confirmation on that, which will come when the second Italian chuckle brother, Tancredi Palmeri, also says it’s happening. That’s when we can finally close the door on that one.

Harry Wilson is a target for Brentford. That might be the best move he could make. His stock has fallen a lot since that loan he had with Bournemouth when half the teams in the Premier League and everyone in the Championship would have crawled over broken glass just to kiss his left foot.

Brentford play decent stuff and they might be the best he can do now. I really want him to go and do well somewhere as he was a victim of circumstances here. I’m not suggesting he’d have made it, I just mean he’s barely played any games and that pains me as we’re the team he supports and any appearance would mean the world to him. He was always out on loan or injured whenever the door might have been open for him.

The fallout from England’s loss to Italy continues as Mourinho is the latest one to take a shot at Southgate and also at senior players who didn’t take a pen. "I think it doesn't matter if you are a great penalty taker or not in this situation. Where was Sterling? Where was Stones? And where was Luke Shaw?" he asked.

"Why didn't Henderson or Walker stay on the pitch? Because in reality it's very, very hard for Rashford and Sancho to come on and take a penalty after one touch on the ball. But for Saka to have the destiny of a country on his shoulders I think is too much."

I agree with him but when you have Grealish coming out to say he desperately wanted a pen but Southgate wouldn’t let him take one, it’s probably not wise to point the finger at Sterling, Stones or whoever. There’s a video doing the rounds where it looks like Grealish was behind Pickford in the pecking order. Usually you’d be offended by that but Pickford probably should have been one of the first five as I’d back him to score ahead of almost everyone else. 

This is on Southgate, and to be fair he’s said as much himself. He’s trying to take all of the responsibility for it and fair play for that, but it is all on him so it’s the least he can do. Some managers, Mourinho most definitely included, would never dream of taking the blame himself though so Southgate gets credit for that.

I think Didi Hamann said it best when it comes to Southgate. Some fan had a go at him for being ‘hostile’ towards England he replied “Nothing to do with being hostile. You threw two tournaments away by being negative yet your manager gets knighted. No wonder you don’t win anything”. He’s right, but I can’t say I want that to change. Especially when you see the fucking state of the fans behaviour last night and then the shithouses attacking the lads who missed the pens.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that 'the Week that Was' is only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• dave u pinned this topic
On 20/07/2021 at 10:24, terry symes said:

"He’s not exceptionally sick and he’s not going to be scoring 30 goals a season"

typo or you just down with the kids now?

Fuck sake, not Usher as well? Who's going to suspend him from TLW?

Oh, so it was just a typo. Thank fuck for that.

Klopp without glasses is like… I don’t have a comparison but give me time and I’ll come up with one.”

I’ll give you a comparison here Dave, it’s like Tommy Cooper without his fez. It’s a disaster is what it is. He’d better sort that shit out once the season arrives.

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic