You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Argos Electrical Equipment Refund

Lee909

Has anyone dealt with getting refunds from these. My mum bought a Acer Aspire laptop for light use but its shite. Not sure the actual issues but rebooting regularly,slow etc. 

Wasn't expecting it to be special but its crap. She's asked me to take it back for here. I've read about people having issues with refunds from them. They say go to Acer/Sony get it fixed,they won't refund. 

She doesn't want it fixed,just refunded. From what i understand retailers have to refund within 30 days if the product isn't fit for purpose. 

Yeah mate, they're cunts for this kind of thing. I bought a new Hoover late last year, died on it's arse in 3 months. Took it back to the Argos I got it from, and was told I'd have to call Hoover to organise a repair.

Managed to get through to someone at Hoover who knew what they were talking about, he checked if they had a replacement in stock but they didn't. So gave me a reference number and I ended up back at the same Argos again to get a replacement.

The bloke at Hoover was decent, Argos are cunts, I wouldn't use them again for electrical stuff, total abdication of responsibility once they've got your cash!

1 minute ago, Creator Supreme said:

Yeah mate, they're cunts for this kind of thing. I bought a new Hoover late last year, died on it's arse in 3 months. Took it back to the Argos I got it from, and was told I'd have to call Hoover to organise a repair.

Managed to get through to someone at Hoover who knew what they were talking about, he checked if they had a replacement in stock but they didn't. So gave me a reference number and I ended up back at the same Argos again to get a replacement.

The bloke at Hoover was decent, Argos are cunts, I wouldn't use them again for electrical stuff, total abdication of responsibility once they've got your cash!

Thanks

Going to tell Acer we want a refund when i call them Monday and hopefully they do similar with reference number

17 minutes ago, Qwikage said:

Lee, did she buy it online or in store?

Don't go to Acer. Your contract is with Argos so don't allow theh to muddy the waters and pass the buck.

In store

Sadly with cash or I'd go the bank. 

Just going by what people are saying online. Some guy had the police called on him as they refused to refund they started claiming he was being aggressive. 

I'll speak to acer on monday and tell them we want a return and refund, hopefully they'll sort me a return thing and ill take that. If not I'll be pushing them for a refund of defective item. 

If the item was bought via the net, the Distance Selling Regs would apply. Under this, she could get a full refund within 14 days, I think, no questions asked.

If it's over 14 days oe whatever the DSR limit is, she cannot just get a full refund.

Under the Consumer Rights Act. an item has to be fit for purpose. Any fault in the first 6 months is deemed to have been present at time of sale. I think Argos can say they'll send for repair and dont have to give a refund. Might not be right so Id check.

As has been said, the contract is with Argos, they can fuck off telling you to take it up with Acer. If they try that, tell them you're going straight to the nearest Trading Standards Office to raise a breach of your consumer rights.

Under the Consumer rights act 2015 you have 30 days from purchase to reject the goods as not fit for purpose and you can demand a refund.

This may be a pain in the arse, but if you are up for a scrap (I'm Scottish so it's genetic) take it back to the shop and tell them you wish to reject the laptop as not fit for puspose, listing the faults. Remind them they have a leagl obligation unedr the act I mentioned above to refund you as the goods are less than 30 days old. They will try and bullshit you with the excuse that she has activated windows so they are unable to accept it as a return. This is a common argument, and the law states that this is an acceptable action if it is required to establish the goods are in working order.

If this does not work there are a number of other avenues but keep a note of the store, the time and the person you spoke to and I can let you know the next options.

Do not go to Acer yet mate as this is this mobs modus operandi and they rely on people eventually giving up.

• Like 2

Argos are a gaggle of cunts, avoid the fuckers like the plague.

Argos means 'Vigilant Guardian' which isn't very apt as they'd sooner someone murder you than you give you a refund for a game of monopoly missing a thimble.

Absolute fuckers in my experience. Took me forever during lockdown to get a refund for a TV. They delivered the wrong model twice (because of a cataloguing error on their part) and then ran out of the right model. One clown suggested I return the wrong model myself to a shop that was closed. Another cunt told me I needed to take it up with the manufacturer. They refunded me the princely sum of £0 for the replacement wrong model. Eventually, I got my money in full. But it took a couple of weeks of hassle and stress.

I ultimately bought the right model from Richer Sounds, which is what I should have done in the first place. 

Mrs Turdseye is incredible at this stuff. I either don’t have the patience or feel awkward as fuck if I’ve lost the receipt or whatever. 

She gets straight on the phone and somehow ends up with a replacement and compensation or an item worth (sometimes loads) more than it’s advertised for at no extra cost. I genuinely don’t know how she does it. 

Racking my brain trying to think of any electrical items I've bought from Argos, and I can only think of a portable CD player back in the 90s, or a garden strimmer a few years later using up Nectar points. Generally, electrical stuff has come from places like Currys or Comet. I've bought laptops from online retailers like Laptops Direct, and every TV I've bought in the last 20 years has come from Richer Sounds. Hugely competitive on price, and they are gold standard for customer service.