You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The all-new Post-Brexit no-hard-border GAA thread

s(k)aturation

2 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

I don’t know.  It feels endemic now. Six losing finals since 2012? It’s insane, especially when they should win at least 2 of those, and should have beaten dublin in the 2015 semi, but bottled them all at the end. There’s a huge issue there and while they bury their faces in their hands bemoaning bad luck and gypsy curses, it’ll continue. 

Get rid of that overrated turd O'Shea right now and it will be a huge help. He's a complete and total loser. Brolly's article in the Indo today sums it up.

3 minutes ago, Carradona said:

Get rid of that overrated turd O'Shea right now and it will be a huge help. He's a complete and total loser. Brolly's article in the Indo today sums it up.

I was amazed he started after the semi performance. For him to play the whole match was mind boggling. He needs to be mutually consented. 

30 minutes ago, Carradona said:

100% agree. As soon as we took him off in the semi final the game changed. I was staggered to see him starting. I'm never going to watch another Mayo game as long as he continues to get picked. Absolutely useless. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, KMD7 said:

100% agree. As soon as we took him off in the semi final the game changed. I was staggered to see him starting. I'm never going to watch another Mayo game as long as he continues to get picked. Absolutely useless. 

Applause here, it's no coincidince that the semi-final changed when he went off. One of my best mates coaches the Knockmore club and they beat O'Sheas Breaffy team last year, said they totally targetted him as a weakness, overrated and lazy.

• Upvote 1

Brolly is the Irish version of Piers fucking Morgan. The way he speaks you'd imagine he has a record equivalent to Spillane. 

He played in Croke Park 3 times in championship. He scored 2 points across those 3 games. That's an appalling record for a corner forward whose main raison d'être was to score. He wasn't a ball winner, he wasn't a creator as such. He was a scorer and he failed dismally in the 3 biggest games of his life. 

He is struggling to stay relevant. His ire was fixed on Cavanagh and Tyrone 10 years ago. He has now found another easy victim in Mayo and especially it's captain. 

O'Shea (scoring wise) and Mayo have a dismal All-Ireland final record but they have been underdogs in all but one of those finals and O'Shea has performed well in more than one of those finals, including yesterday where he was nowhere near the worst performer in a green and red jersey.

He has won 3 all stars, one more than Brolly. He is 31 years old and his abilities are expectedly waning but he was picked as captain and as a starter by Horan, that is not his fault.

Brolly then focuses his anger and outrage on James Horan. Horan took over an overrated, underperformed Mayo in 2010 and changed the culture turning them into contenders within 12 months and even after he departed, they remained there for 7 or 8 years. Most of the 2010s team needed to be replaced when he returned in 2019. He has since introduced a virtually whole new team while reaching 2 all ireland finals within 3 years, with a group who had little to no success at underage. 

Both Horan and O'Shea have contributed a lot more to the GAA in the past 11 years than Brolly and the man who regales people with story of "True Gaels" is a narcisstic negative disgusting man, us true Gaels could really do without. 

FTR - I have no skin in the game. I'm not a Mayo man. Just my opinion. 

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Razoray said:

Brolly is the Irish version of Piers fucking Morgan. The way he speaks you'd imagine he has a record equivalent to Spillane. 

He played in Croke Park 3 times in championship. He scored 2 points across those 3 games. That's an appalling record for a corner forward whose main raison d'être was to score. He wasn't a ball winner, he wasn't a creator as such. He was a scorer and he failed dismally in the 3 biggest games of his life. 

He is struggling to stay relevant. His ire was fixed on Cavanagh and Tyrone 10 years ago. He has now found another easy victim in Mayo and especially it's captain. 

O'Shea (scoring wise) and Mayo have a dismal All-Ireland final record but they have been underdogs in all but one of those finals and O'Shea has performed well in more than one of those finals, including yesterday where he was nowhere near the worst performer in a green and red jersey.

He has won 3 all stars, one more than Brolly. He is 31 years old and his abilities are expectedly waning but he was picked as captain and as a starter by Horan, that is not his fault.

Brolly then focuses his anger and outrage on James Horan. Horan took over an overrated, underperformed Mayo in 2010 and changed the culture turning them into contenders within 12 months and even after he departed, they remained there for 7 or 8 years. Most of the 2010s team needed to be replaced when he returned in 2019. He has since introduced a virtually whole new team while reaching 2 all ireland finals within 3 years, with a group who had little to no success at underage. 

Both Horan and O'Shea have contributed a lot more to the GAA in the past 11 years than Brolly and the man who regales people with story of "True Gaels" is a narcisstic negative disgusting man, us true Gaels could really do without. 

FTR - I have no skin in the game. I'm not a Mayo man. Just my opinion. 

Great post. Unnecessarily but unsurprisingly snide article by Brolly. 

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, s(k)aturation said:

"City club Roanmore contest their first Senior Hurling Final in 31 years on Sunday.
They face the mighty Ballygunner who are going for an incredible 8th title on the bounce. Walsh Park, 2pm Sunday."

Any vested interest in this one on the weekend @deiseach ?

Nope. It'd be nice for a new(ish) team to win, but it would also be nice for a team who are capable of having a tilt at the Munster & All-Ireland cub championships to win. My club are Tramore, the club with access to 10% of the population of the county yet can't field a Senior team in either code. I have a feeling in my waters that things will change in that regard - in a decade or two. You read it here first.

• 4 months later...
On 30/09/2021 at 19:41, deiseach said:

Nope. It'd be nice for a new(ish) team to win, but it would also be nice for a team who are capable of having a tilt at the Munster & All-Ireland cub championships to win. 

And lo! it came to pass that we had a team capable of having a tilt at the Munster & All-Ireland cub [sic] championship. Some drama in Croke Park yesterday in both hurling and football. I'll leave it to others to deal with the football, but here's the end of the hurling with local radio commentary:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...