You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The all-new Post-Brexit no-hard-border GAA thread

s(k)aturation

Just now, JohnnyH said:

Not putting Brian Fenton in there is Everton levels bitterness...

I can't judge anything from my dad as he complains about the football regardless.  He's 87 now and played for Mayo in the 1950s, but he's always complaining about basketball and how hand passing is NOW ruining the as it wasn't like that in his day!.  I was able to find a piece from a paper in the 1950s complaining about hand passing back then, but it was in one ear and out the other.

Football is quite defensive now, I agree.  But it's a lot better than that awful hunting in packs shite we were subject too in the recent past.   Teams now hold possession until they are in front of the posts.  I think that's the right way to play if you want success, but I suppose that type of football can seem a bit boring.  And with Kerry's poor defence, but sensational attack, a win for them could be a step towards that style as these things are cyclical.     

Fenton hit on my girlfriend once so fuck that guy.

1 hour ago, s(k)aturation said:

Kerry are, generally, always beautiful to watch in the footy.

And my Westmeath boys on the verge of a Leinster meeting with the Dubs is worth my staying up, at least for another weekend.

I'm not taking the piss here when I say I genuinely think your Westmeath lot could be facing Meath. Obviously if I was betting money I'd be putting it on the Dubs, but there are issues in the camp and I think if you wanted to play them at any point over the last 6 years, it'd be tomorrow.  Meath have a chance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyH said:

I'm not taking the piss here when I say I genuinely think your Westmeath lot could be facing Meath. Obviously if I was betting money I'd be putting it on the Dubs, but there are issues in the camp and I think if you wanted to play them at any point over the last 6 years, it'd be tomorrow.  Meath have a chance.

That's fine by me, Johnny.

In fact, thanks for the leg-up.

I'm now really looking forward to the weekend, we're in lockdown, and I'll be listening to Pat Spillane's every analytical lilt.

What a weekend in prospect.

How anyone could say this is dull, with crowds allowed back and all, the Ulster Semis, the Munster Hurling Final of course, juicy qualifiers etc... all I can say is, I'd politely disagree with any naysayer.

Personally though, even though "we'd" probably lose, a Dubs/Westmeath final would be a bit special for me... given that my sister-in-law lives in Ballyboden and of course the late Jim Stynes, an Australian Football legend, plied his GAA footy trade there in his seminal days.

On 14/07/2021 at 19:14, s(k)aturation said:

(Waterford are your lads, no, @deiseach ?  Should see off Laois easily enough)

My thought was 'yes' but I am long enough in the tooth to not shoot my mouth off, and Christ that was justified as we squeaked past Laois. Won by five points but that was thanks to a last-puck-of-the-game goal and were losing going into the last quarter after being eight points up at half-time. Thank goodness for the weight of history crushing someone else for once.

3 hours ago, deiseach said:

My thought was 'yes' but I am long enough in the tooth to not shoot my mouth off, and Christ that was justified as we squeaked past Laois. Won by five points but that was thanks to a last-puck-of-the-game goal and were losing going into the last quarter after being eight points up at half-time. Thank goodness for the weight of history crushing someone else for once.

Clare almost tossed it away too, similarly.

7 hours ago, Em City said:

Limerick were 10 points down to Tipperary at half time and ended up winning by 5.

They're some machine.

I was certainly an "awakening", watching that turnaround at 2am.

Unlike the broken record Westmeath turned out to be in the footy, getting within a point of the Lilywhites and then proceeding to peel off 5 or 6 consecutive wides to end the match.

20 hours ago, Em City said:

Limerick were 10 points down to Tipperary at half time and ended up winning by 5.

They're some machine.

Phenomenal game of hurling that was. Tipp were near perfect in the first half but Limerick were perfect in the second. The Hayes goal was out of this world:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Christ almighty. Waterford were 16 points up against Galway going into the last quarter, albeit down to 14 men for the whole of the second half. One minute into seven minutes of injury time, the gap was three. Somehow we held it together and actually won the remainder of injury time by one. I fear we might be returning to our previous standing of being the go-to team for providing entertainment for neutrals.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, deiseach said:

Christ almighty. Waterford were 16 points up against Galway going into the last quarter, albeit down to 14 men for the whole of the second half. One minute into seven minutes of injury time, the gap was three. Somehow we held it together and actually won the remainder of injury time by one. I fear we might be returning to our previous standing of being the go-to team for providing entertainment for neutrals.

You won.

Up the Banner too.

Mark that down on your astrological results chart.