You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The all-new Post-Brexit no-hard-border GAA thread

s(k)aturation

So, with my GAAGO.ie membership paid up, and no sign of being allowed an Irish summer trip for quite some time yet, I have been enjoying the last couple of weeks watching games from my late night couch Down Under... connect my laptop to my big screen monitor and presto.

Some big games this weekend, among them for me Clare against Wexford in a hurling qualifier (up the Banner!)...

AND my boys Westmeath looking to make the Leinster Final for the first time I think since 2004 (I was in Croker for that draw against Laois).

Also the Munster Hurling Final - Go Limerick!!!!  (anyone v Tipp, just to piss my father-in-law off!)

(Waterford are your lads, no, @deiseach ?  Should see off Laois easily enough)

Anyway, perhaps some of you emerald lads wish to discuss, occasionally....

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, niallers said:

Limerick and Tipp the game of the weekend by far. With temperatures set to be in the mid 20's , Limericks panel strength will probably be the difference as it'll be a hard slog in that heat. 

Looking forward to this.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, niallers said:

Limerick and Tipp the game of the weekend by far. With temperatures set to be in the mid 20's , Limericks panel strength will probably be the difference as it'll be a hard slog in that heat. 

4 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

Looking forward to this.

“Ooh, look at us, we’re still in the EU”

Pathetic. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Pathetic. 

Great, you'll bring Gnasher down on the thread. Thanks for that.

I'm still smarting from Waterford being beaten by Tipperary in the Under-20 hurling last night. A last minute goal forced extra time but they ended up losing by six. So many, many ways in so many, many competitions in which to feel miserable. 

20 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Pathetic. 

Shouldn't you be running along to write your Sinn Fein manifesto for Mary Lou McDonald, you shithouse cunt, CT (to use a popular phrase right now).

Just cut and paste your Labour one.

Actually let's take it to PM... I can cut and paste my abuse to you from last week there.

13 minutes ago, deiseach said:

Great, you'll bring Gnasher down on the thread. Thanks for that.

I'm still smarting from Waterford being beaten by Tipperary in the Under-20 hurling last night. A last minute goal forced extra time but they ended up losing by six. So many, many ways in so many, many competitions in which to feel miserable. 

You should do what I do.

I go for anyone against Tipp in the hurling to rankle the in-laws.

Clare being my actual (now waiting at the back door, with a tricky tie against the yellow bellies)

I take Westmeath in the Leinster football (they're shite)

Then when the midlanders inevitably get swatted, I switch to Cork in the All Ireland football (they're a bit shite too on last week's showing)

.... Actually, come to think of it, you're right.

Fucking miserable.

12 hours ago, s(k)aturation said:

So, with my GAAGO.ie membership paid up, and no sign of being allowed an Irish summer trip for quite some time yet, I have been enjoying the last couple of weeks watching games from my late night couch Down Under... connect my laptop to my big screen monitor and presto.

Some big games this weekend, among them for me Clare against Wexford in a hurling qualifier (up the Banner!)...

AND my boys Westmeath looking to make the Leinster Final for the first time I think since 2004 (I was in Croker for that draw against Laois).

Also the Munster Hurling Final - Go Limerick!!!!  (anyone v Tipp, just to piss my father-in-law off!)

(Waterford are your lads, no, @deiseach ?  Should see off Laois easily enough)

Anyway, perhaps some of you emerald lads wish to discuss, occasionally....

Westmeath are your boys?

Poor fucker.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Em City said:

Westmeath are your boys?

Poor fucker.

Indeed.

Took it upon myself, thanks to a free ticket to the Leinster Final in 2004.

But, as I explained later, I've decided to switch to Cork in the all-Ireland....  

Not much of an improved "guarantee" though, now.

Between Clare in the hurling and this menagerie of footy allegiances, I've aptly set myself up, as @deiseach would say, for disappointment.

And I'll be watching every fucking game this weekend, religiously... because a snap, 5-day lockdown has just been announced for Melbourne.

In all seriousness, I take a glass-half-full approach to following Waterford - the hurlers, anyway. I have put together a record of every competitive game we've played (check the results archive on the right) which means I have a spreadsheet on the subject that would put Code to shame. In true Sky traditions, hurling only began in 1998 and in that time we have a winning championship record, P97 W45 D8 L44. The likes of Westmeath would snap your hands off for that kind of record. To put things into context, the record in my lifetime before that, from 1977 to 1997, is P31 W8 D2 L21. It may not be as good as following Liverpool, a subject on which I also have a spreadsheet (record of Liverpool games I've been to: P113 W64 D27 L21) but, given the history, it's pretty darn good and I am grateful for it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, deiseach said:

In all seriousness, I take a glass-half-full approach to following Waterford - the hurlers, anyway. I have put together a record of every competitive game we've played (check the results archive on the right) which means I have a spreadsheet on the subject that would put Code to shame. In true Sky traditions, hurling only began in 1998 and in that time we have a winning championship record, P97 W45 D8 L44. The likes of Westmeath would snap your hands off for that kind of record. To put things into context, the record in my lifetime before that, from 1977 to 1997, is P31 W8 D2 L21. It may not be as good as following Liverpool, a subject on which I also have a spreadsheet (record of Liverpool games I've been to: P113 W64 D27 L21) but, given the history, it's pretty darn good and I am grateful for it.

If I didn’t know any better I’d say (and I’d whisper it very, very fucking quietly) that what you have there is a blog. 

A blog. 

I have no interest in football anymore and not just because Dublin are dominant and Meath are pure shite. Nigh on every game is unwatchable, like basketball played in a wet bog with no score clock. I watched a bit of Roscommon v Galway and turned it off after 5 mins.

Hurling is still the best game going. I fully expect Limerick win it all again though. They're too big, too fast and too skilful for everyone else.

9 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

If I didn’t know any better I’d say (and I’d whisper it very, very fucking quietly) that what you have there is a blog. 

A blog. 

The dedication of people never ceases to amaze me.  I'm currently compiling a blog on the number of times "shithouse cunt" is mentioned on Liverpool sporting blogs as a correlation to WUM posters trawling about calling genuine efforts to affably engage with one another "pathetic", inciting a response and then anti-socially directing posters to take it to PM.  

Some might call my little venture pathetic, but it's a labour of love.

Up the Déise!

Up the Banner!

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, s(k)aturation said:

The dedication of people never ceases to amaze me.  I'm currently compiling a blog on the number of times "shithouse cunt" is mentioned on Liverpool sporting blogs as a correlation to WUM posters trawling about calling genuine efforts to affably engage with one another "pathetic", inciting a response and then anti-socially directing posters to take it to PM.  

Some might call my little venture pathetic, but it's a labour of love.

Up the Déise!

Up the Banner!

Don’t you ever fucking sleep? Barely an hour goes by without your peddling your shite on here. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Don’t you ever fucking sleep? Barely an hour goes by without your peddling your shite on here. 

Just doing what you used to do, CT... remember all those years ago when you were the prolific, self-appointed "most popular person on TLW."

Just trying to grasp that nettle of a baton you left behind for us mere mortals.

But yeah, I don't do it for reps... I do it cos I'm woke, I mean, awake.

Now stop derailing our GAA thread.

Support Kerry (Daniel O'Connell's county - he used to like hanging around Westminster smoking cigars, and posh places in Southern England, so that would suit you)... or GTFO.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Em City said:

I have no interest in football anymore and not just because Dublin are dominant and Meath are pure shite. Nigh on every game is unwatchable, like basketball played in a wet bog with no score clock. I watched a bit of Roscommon v Galway and turned it off after 5 mins.

Hurling is still the best game going. I fully expect Limerick win it all again though. They're too big, too fast and too skilful for everyone else. 

Obviously the dominance of Dublin isn’t great (and I say that as a Dub who suffered the pure shite of not even getting to one All Ireland Final between the wins in 1995 and 2011) but the football is far from shite. The forward line of Kerry alone is joyous. McBrearty’s last minute point for Donegal to beat Derry was brilliant. And as for Meath, yes they’ve been shite in recent years, but they’re on the up and I’ve a sneaking feeling for them this weekend. The Cluxton issue, and general poor dublin play, means now is a good time to get the Dubs. I think this year will end the run of wins and Kerry will win it (they should have won it last year except for their arrogance against Cork). 

As for hurling. I used to love it but now it’s just an 80 metre shootout. The scoring is ridiculous and all efforts to play are gone. You just get the ball within 70-80 metres of the goal and then pump it over the bar. It’s terrible, but at least all the ex players are complaining about it too, so hopefully they’ll act. The news penalty rule around professional fouls is a shambles (as demonstrated in Clare v Tipp) too, and it’s fast becoming unwatchable at times. Give me football any day at the moment. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Obviously the dominance of Dublin isn’t great (and I say that as a Dub who suffered the pure shite of not even getting to one All Ireland Final between the wins in 1995 and 2011) but the football is far from shite. The forward line of Kerry alone is joyous. McBrearty’s last minute point for Donegal to beat Derry was brilliant. And as for Meath, yes they’ve been shite in recent years, but they’re on the up and I’ve a sneaking feeling for them this weekend. The Cluxton issue, and general poor dublin play, means now is a good time to get the Dubs. I think this year will end the run of wins and Kerry will win it (they should have won it last year except for their arrogance against Cork). 

As for hurling. I used to love it but now it’s just an 80 metre shootout. The scoring is ridiculous and all efforts to play are gone. You just get the ball within 70-80 metres of the goal and then pump it over the bar. It’s terrible, but at least all the ex players are complaining about it too, so hopefully they’ll act. The news penalty rule around professional fouls is a shambles (as demonstrated in Clare v Tipp) too, and it’s fast becoming unwatchable at times. Give me football any day at the moment. 

Kerry are, generally, always beautiful to watch in the footy.

And my Westmeath boys on the verge of a Leinster meeting with the Dubs is worth my staying up, at least for another weekend.

1 hour ago, JohnnyH said:

Have to disagree, football is terrible. Nearly every team sits most of the team behind the ball, leave only two or three forwards up top and employ a 'possession-based game's which is nice speak for endless handpassing. My father who's watched football since the 1950s and has been to endless games won't even look at a game on the telly anymore.

The only joy to get gotten from it these days is watching the likes of David Clifford and Conor McManus be geniuses. 

32 minutes ago, Em City said:

The only joy to get gotten from it these days is watching the likes of David Clifford and Conor McManus be geniuses. 

Not putting Brian Fenton in there is Everton levels bitterness...

I can't judge anything from my dad as he complains about the football regardless.  He's 87 now and played for Mayo in the 1950s, but he's always complaining about basketball and how hand passing is NOW ruining the as it wasn't like that in his day!.  I was able to find a piece from a paper in the 1950s complaining about hand passing back then, but it was in one ear and out the other.

Football is quite defensive now, I agree.  But it's a lot better than that awful hunting in packs shite we were subject too in the recent past.   Teams now hold possession until they are in front of the posts.  I think that's the right way to play if you want success, but I suppose that type of football can seem a bit boring.  And with Kerry's poor defence, but sensational attack, a win for them could be a step towards that style as these things are cyclical.