You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Open Championship 2021

5 hours ago, CapeRed said:

Love The Open, no tricked up fairways just a good test of golf and players need to think.their way around.

Wouldn't call what we watched this weekend a "good test of golf". It was quite easy for lots of players. 

But yes, the fact that Morikawa and Spieth finished 1-2 kind of shows that the usual suspects couldn't overpower the course by simply hitting massive tee shots and the more precise players had the advantage.

6 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Wouldn't call what we watched this weekend a "good test of golf". It was quite easy for lots of players. 

But yes, the fact that Morikawa and Spieth finished 1-2 kind of shows that the usual suspects couldn't overpower the course by simply hitting massive tee shots and the more precise players had the advantage.

You also have to take into account that for this tournament there was no wind. I think scores would have been a lot different if the wind was out.

32 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

The course was way too easy. While the Open is the most prestigious of the majors I regard the US Open as the best test,generally at least. 15 under par is not a test for these lads at all.

The course was easy because it relies on a very dry course, so balls hitting the fairway in the wrong spot will roll into penalty areas, and the wind blowing to make it tougher . This year you had perfect conditions no wind for all 4 days and prior to the start quite a lot of rain which helped to keep balls on the faiway. I think the US PGA has had a tendency to over do  the course set up usually but thought they got this years set up right. 

17 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

The course was easy because it relies on a very dry course, so balls hitting the fairway in the wrong spot will roll into penalty areas, and the wind blowing to make it tougher . This year you had perfect conditions no wind for all 4 days and prior to the start quite a lot of rain which helped to keep balls on the faiway. I think the US PGA has had a tendency to over do  the course set up usually but thought they got this years set up right. 

I think USPGA gets it right,mostly,but only because golf courses now are unfit for purpose. The technological advances plus the fitness and athleticism of the golfers has far outrun golf course design. Most courses were designed in the days of golf being a largely amateur sport and they never envisaged how professional it would become. I find it boring now due to most tournaments becoming 'target golf' tournaments for pros. The irony is that it hasn't become too much easier for the average player though. 

PS,only being able to watch major tournaments on sky or a dodgy stream is a fuckin disgrace and I hope it makes them lose millions,the cunts.

18 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I think USPGA gets it right,mostly,but only because golf courses now are unfit for purpose. The technological advances plus the fitness and athleticism of the golfers has far outrun golf course design. Most courses were designed in the days of golf being a largely amateur sport and they never envisaged how professional it would become. I find it boring now due to most tournaments becoming 'target golf' tournaments for pros. The irony is that it hasn't become too much easier for the average player though. 

PS,only being able to watch major tournaments on sky or a dodgy stream is a fuckin disgrace and I hope it makes them lose millions,the cunts.

Agree 100%. I believe that the tech in ball design has helped enormously and this is an area to look at. Hasnt fuckin helped my game though!!

3 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

The conditions suited them perfectly this weekend. Hardly any wind. Different weather and links play is horrendous. The organisers aren't to know. 

I play a links course out here and a good few years back Calvin Peete played in the SA Open here. The first day was so calm , no wind , and he shot the lights out. Called it a "pitch and putt course " . Next day the resident S. Easter blew like fuck, he missed the cut. His opening day score card is still on display in the clubhouse.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

@CapeRed

Calvin Peete - a FEW years ago!!

He is a few years dead ffs.

There's a spot for you in journalism mate. Do you know the difference between a few years and a good few years ??? Or maybe English is not your first language ,in which case my apologies.

Personally I always interpret "a good few years" as "fucking ages ago".

Not sure why people think that course was playing easy. Sure, Morikawa was -15 but how many others even got to -10? Three I think.

Loads of players struggled despite there being a lack of wind. I like the course, I thought it was a good spectacle.

Next year will be interesting because if Bryson is on his game he could dismantle St Andrews. There are four or five par 4's he'll be able to drive the green and there's no thick rough to punish wayward shots. There's the pot bunkers of course, but they were positioned in areas that a lot of players can just carry the ball over now.

I completely agree about Royal St Georges, I thought it was really good.

Also concerned about Bryson at the Old Course. I played there last summer and it’s not a tough course at all (apart from the fucking road hole, the absolute cunt).

If the wind doesn’t blow then I shudder at the thought of the winning score.

54 minutes ago, dave u said:

Not sure why people think that course was playing easy. Sure, Morikawa was -15 but how many others even got to -10? Three I think.

Loads of players struggled despite there being a lack of wind. I like the course, I thought it was a good spectacle.

Next year will be interesting because if Bryson is on his game he could dismantle St Andrews. There are four or five par 4's he'll be able to drive the green and there's no thick rough to punish wayward shots. There's the pot bunkers of course, but they were positioned in areas that a lot of players can just carry the ball over now.

Yip, good few years is fuckin yonks ago .

1 hour ago, Brownie said:

I completely agree about Royal St Georges, I thought it was really good.

Also concerned about Bryson at the Old Course. I played there last summer and it’s not a tough course at all (apart from the fucking road hole, the absolute cunt).

If the wind doesn’t blow then I shudder at the thought of the winning score.

I think Bryson will be a one hit wonder in the Majors. Far better players than him have never won one or have won just the one or two. A lot of things would need to align for him again (same for everyone else I guess) but even if they did I think there’ll always be at least a couple of players able to put four rounds together better than he can. His little purple patch in the Majors came when there were no fans allowed in. 

The flip side is obviously he has got other wins on tour but I’m already at the point where I’m not really considering him as contender when the Majors come around. Rahm, Thomas, DJ, etc always seem like they’re in and around it. 

34 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I think Bryson will be a one hit wonder in the Majors. Far better players than him have never won one or have won just the one or two. A lot of things would need to align for him again (same for everyone else I guess) but even if they did I think there’ll always be at least a couple of players able to put four rounds together better than he can. His little purple patch in the Majors came when there were no fans allowed in. 

The flip side is obviously he has got other wins on tour but I’m already at the point where I’m not really considering him as contender when the Majors come around. Rahm, Thomas, DJ, etc always seem like they’re in and around it. 

I’d like to agree with you but I don’t. I think he’ll always be a factor in courses that suit his style. That’s basically the PGA, US Open and some Open venues. Augusta on paper should suit him but he’s been awful on it.

3 hours ago, dave u said:

That course was far from fucking easy. 

Was listening to 5Live Saturday evening and they were talking about what a 20+ handicapper could get round in. 

Everyone agreed they’d just give up! 

3 hours ago, dave u said:

No chance is he consistent or disciplined enough. 

11 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

That course was far from fucking easy. 

Was listening to 5Live Saturday evening and they were talking about what a 20+ handicapper could get round in. 

Everyone agreed they’d just give up! 

That fourth hole, I don't think I could even reach the fairway from the tees they played off. Probably quite a few other holes too. Anything that needs a carry of 225 or more and I'm screwed without a tail wind.

I'd love to try and play out of that massive bunker though, just to see if I could clear the face.

37 minutes ago, dave u said:

That fourth hole, I don't think I could even reach the fairway from the tees they played off. Probably quite a few other holes too. Anything that needs a carry of 225 or more and I'm screwed without a tail wind.

I'd love to try and play out of that massive bunker though, just to see if I could clear the face.

Was looking at some of the distances for second shots on par 4s 270 to 280 yards FFS that is some shot to hit the green.

32 minutes ago, dave u said:

It’s a beautiful course and I think people are going overboard on how ‘easy’ players made it look. Yes there wasn’t much wind but look at some of the pin positions on Saturday, they were just taking the piss. 

Agreed on the driving too - the vast, vast majority of golfers aren’t straight enough to go with driver on a hole like that and if you drop down a club you’ve no chance of clearing the shit. 

I played at the Players Club with her uncle years ago, it was some medal or something and they played off the back tees, 7716 yards it played.

That was just fucking exhausting.