You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sinusitis

4 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Had this for almost 2 years and I'm thoroughly sick to death of it. Anybody else suffer from it and does anybody have any remedies or cures?

Over the past 2 years I've been on different anti-biotics and various antihistamines but truthfully, nothing has made any difference (apart from the dozens of drugs they had me on in hospital during my vivid troubles). Right now, my nose is running but I cannot blow it, feeling blocked, and it's been a nightmare trying to sleep.

Any old wives cures or anecdotes?

Ever been in the sea with your head under water? Feel refreshed after? 

I use warm water and Croing nasal salt. Just a cheap nasal delivery device, I use one that holds the water and you press the bottom which pushes the water through a neck into your nose and throat. It should come out through your mouth and it worked wonders for me. 

3 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Ever been in the sea with your head under water? Feel refreshed after? 

I use warm water and Croing nasal salt. Just a cheap nasal delivery device, I use one that holds the water and you press the bottom which pushes the water through a neck into your nose and throat. It should come out through your mouth and it worked wonders for me. 

The vids I've seen people breathe through the mouth whilst pouring the solution up one nostril and it comes out of the other? You do this differently?

1 hour ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

I've suffered from acid reflux for a couple of years too, especially on a morning.

Dots beginning to join I think mate.

Morning (before lunch) always for me too - I never get it (acid reflux) after my dinner (5-6pm)

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

The vids I've seen people breathe through the mouth whilst pouring the solution up one nostril and it comes out of the other? You do this differently?

It comes out of nostrils and mouth. It needs to get to the throat too as often the infection is there. I remember one time using it I actually felt my throat really stung and within a few seconds it's like I healed in my throat completely. I've not experienced it since but I can also breathe through my nose generally much easier than I used to be able to. 

It's the closest I've had to a miracle cure and I've tried loads. 

15 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

It comes out of nostrils and mouth. It needs to get to the throat too as often the infection is there. I remember one time using it I actually felt my throat really stung and within a few seconds it's like I healed in my throat completely. I've not experienced it since but I can also breathe through my nose generally much easier than I used to be able to. 

It's the closest I've had to a miracle cure and I've tried loads. 

Not being funny but how do you breathe when your doing this?

44 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Not being funny but how do you breathe when your doing this?

It takes 30 seconds to a minute and the water is only fed through a small hole so you get plenty of oxygen but it's best to do it with small breaks to catch your breath. 

Some people hate the idea of water going through your nose, throat and mouth as it can feel quite intrusive but afterwards it's glorious. 

9 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

It takes 30 seconds to a minute and the water is only fed through a small hole so you get plenty of oxygen but it's best to do it with small breaks to catch your breath. 

Some people hate the idea of water going through your nose, throat and mouth as it can feel quite intrusive but afterwards it's glorious. 

image.png

1 hour ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

I’ve tried to do that when I’d had so much beak that neither nostril would accept anymore. A stranger had a tiny little gravy boat thing at another stranger’s house at the back end of a 3 day bender, and was pouring luke warm water in my nostrils. Fail proof he said. Well to cut a long story short, 30 mins later I was inhaling beak into my mouth with a straw. 

Those were the days. Or were they actually come to think of it?

7 minutes ago, belarus said:

I’ve tried to do that when I’d had so much beak that neither nostril would accept anymore. A stranger had a tiny little gravy boat thing at another stranger’s house at the back end of a 3 day bender, and was pouring luke warm water in my nostrils. Fail proof he said. Well to cut a long story short, 30 mins later I was inhaling beak into my mouth with a straw. 

I think you've got this thread upside down my mate!

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, belarus said:

Not sure if this endorses the use of salt water or warns against it.

11 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

I've suffered from acid reflux for a couple of years too, especially on a morning.

Ask your GP to get you on Omeprazole for that mate. It reduces the amount of acid your stomach makes. Works wonders, and I used to suffer badly from acid reflux.

Had sinus problems forever. Nasal polyps removed 7 or 8 times since I was a kid, numerous surgeries to repair a deviated septum among others.

These are just a variation on the neti pot and other sinus rinses mentioned, but they’re convenient and easy to keep clean/sterile. Made a big difference for me.

https://www.google.co.uk/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwiZ14b8reTxAhXV43cKHeE0CXwYABAGGgJlZg&ae=2&sig=AOD64_2VWPkucfbNkVJTFFRz2EHeFx_6cw&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwjQ1P37reTxAhWUTsAKHVJdB44Qwg96BAgBEBE&adurl=

Hope you get both issues sorted, they can definitely take a slice of your daily quality of life.

• Upvote 1

I get this at least once a month but it only started happening in my mid-20s. It usually lasts for about a day and a half and its all the symptoms others have mentioned. I try to control it with antihistamines and the nasal spray in the picture below.

I've had to pretty much stop drinking craft beers with yeast in them because they kick off all the symptoms again.

20210715_082952.jpg

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, chrisbonnie said:

not sure about the UK, but apparently here in Ireland, in and around 30-40 years ago they planted a shit load of some swedish birch or nordic ash, something along those lines, 

And now obviously all those trees are mature and the vast majority of people are allergic to their pollen.

I personally now take antihistamines and nasal sprays most days during the summer months. But never had any issues as a kid. 

Coukld be something similar perhaps?

Isnt there a kind of vaccination you can get if it is a form of hayfever that you have? I heard something on the radio about it recently enough

Yup. Same here. 

I use that nasal rinse and some antihistamines when it gets too bad. I'm guaranteed to get at least 1 infection at least. 

A friend of mine had his nose re-broken and realigned to try get it resolved. Said he got 15% better relief from it but I think it was the placebo effect. 

19 hours ago, chrisbonnie said:

Isnt there a kind of vaccination you can get if it is a form of hayfever that you have? I heard something on the radio about it recently enough

Called Xolair I believe, if it’s what I was told about for allergies generally. I was slated to have it 6 or 7 years ago when I was having difficulty breathing because of allergies. I’m atopic apparently, so there’s something all year round I’m allergic to, as the fella in the asthma and allergy clinic chuckled at when they ran all my skin prick tests.

Thing with Xolair as I recall, is it’s a protocol of injections you have to follow every couple of weeks for an extended period of time. 3 years is ringing a bell. So to qualify for it, and to want to be arsed with going through with it, you’ve got to be pretty bad in the first place.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I've had about 5 or 6 treatments with the neti pot since Friday morning and it feels like it's making a small difference thus far.

Still feels like there's a blockage in the right nostril but hopefully this Neti / salt treatment will whittle it down until I'm rid of the annoying fucker.

2 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

So, I've had about 5 or 6 treatments with the neti pot since Friday morning and it feels like it's making a small difference thus far.

Still feels like there's a blockage in the right nostril but hopefully this Neti / salt treatment will whittle it down until I'm rid of the annoying fucker.

It's horrible isn't it. Glad it appears to be making some difference. 

Since about Thursday night I've been struggling with a burning sensation up my left nostril and I've put that down to the Covid. Greeny brown liquid coming out of my nose as well if I can stand the stinging during blowing my nose if it starts running.

Does this sound familiar to any of you that struggle with sinusitis?

3 minutes ago, Preston Red said:

Since about Thursday night I've been struggling with a burning sensation up my left nostril and I've put that down to the Covid. Greeny brown liquid coming out of my nose as well if I can stand the stinging during blowing my nose if it starts running.

Does this sound familiar to any of you that struggle with sinusitis?

Don't get any stinging or burning mate. I did have a runny nose when I had covid though.