You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Favourite fish

elvis

I'm veggie, but I asked the missus and she says: smoked haddock, halibut, sea-bass, sardines, kippers, tuna steaks and monkfish. She's not a big fan of salmon (too rich) and dislikes skate (too slimy).

Going beyond fish to other seafood "delicacies", she also really likes octopus, scallops, prawns, crab (especially snow crab) and lobster.

My dad said the only thing he missed since going veggie is smoked salmon. I think that's a big thing among his people, they eat it with bagels and cream cheese.

Just now, Bjornebye said:

Rubbery cock ring shite 

You can do with it what you like.

Grilled with garlic and lemon - sublime.

Fried with spicy tomato dipping sauce - massive.

Also, tip - the tentacles are the best part. Should be said that octopus is delicious as well.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

You can do with it what you like.

Grilled with garlic and lemon - sublime.

Fried with spicy tomato dipping sauce - massive.

Also, tip - the tentacles are the best part. Should be said that octopus is delicious as well.

Hahahaha 

5 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I wish I liked Sea food feel like I'm missing out but whenever I try it I'm like no thanks thats horrible. I eat the working class classics like fish fingers, cod in batter, tuna or salmon paste. Salmon paste not so much its like acid reflux in a jar and to be honest I don't think I've seen a jar of it in over 20 years. I'd never order fish in a restaurant just to try something different cooked by someone capable because if I didn't like it I'd be fuming. Could do with loads of well made taster dishes.

I'm pretty much this. Let's face it, you wouldn't be eating the likes of lobster, crabs or whelks if they were crawling around on the ground. 

I had a job in a restaurant once. Owner came in one day, gave me a cleaver, then poured a bucket of live crabs on the work top and told me to chop them in half. I told him to fuck off, collected my stuff and walked out as live crabs ran into the restaurant area. 

1 minute ago, cloggypop said:

I had a job in a restaurant once. Owner came in one day, gave me a cleaver, then poured a bucket of live crabs on the work top and told me to chop them in half. I told him to fuck off, collected my stuff and walked out as live crabs ran into the restaurant area. 

Was a wanker - always cook then cut. Cutting them first tightens up the entire crab.

12 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Is that not a big thing amongst "your people" as well?

Insofar as he was actually raised in that culture.

Nevertheless, overjoyed that yet another thread seems to be heading into a discussion about how Jewish I am.

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Insofar as he was actually raised in that culture.

Nevertheless, overjoyed that yet another thread seems to be heading into a discussion about how Jewish I am.

Not sure why you would use that term then tbh. Seemed pretty pointed. Or pointless.

Weren't you raised in that culture?

So's you knowz - smoked salmon (or lox if you prefer - your Pops will know) is a big part of the cuisine of my people as well.

28 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Get @Jairzinho to post some chipirones - used to go to a place where the fella would take your order then excuse himself, swim out, catch them and fry them up. Magic.

Yeah they're ace. Often battered here as well, which I'm not as keen on. Chocos are much nicer battered.

chipirines+en+salsa+verde+%25281%2529.jp

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chip Butty said:

Love fish, I’m more vegetarian than pescatarian, but when the mood takes me, it’s fish all the way.

Gurnard

Turbot

Plaice

Dover Sole

Monkfish(not the detective)

Sea-bass(over used in my book and a bit of a drab, lacking flair choice on a restaurant menu)

Roll Mops

Kippers

Halibut

Sea Bream

Sardines

Basically, most fish bar salmon, which is like chicken in being over farmed and a pale tasteless shadow of its former self.

Plaice and rollmops. rep.

I love seafood, would happily have it in some form or another for my tea every night. Love a seafood pizza, seafood pasta or seafood soup. The only thing I've never been keen on is tuna.

Had salmon & broccoli (with some cheese) on a baked tattie for the first time recently & it was fucking magic.