You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Euro 2020 Round Up (Final)

tlw content

7 hours ago, manwiththestick said:

Echo tomorrow: How Klopp's laser eye surgery will cost Specsavers millions.

How Klopp’s laser eye surgery will enable him to spot expensive dud players saving Liverpool millions in transfer fees.

26 minutes ago, Anubis said:

How Klopp’s laser eye surgery will enable him to spot expensive dud players saving Liverpool millions in transfer fees.

Apparently it's contact lenses

12 hours ago, Peter Cormack said:

Excellent report Dave, five star. I watched the England-Germany game in a german pub surrounded by mostly young Germans. No bother, no belting out the anthem, no aggression, booing or pissed up dickheads. I wonder what being an Italian watching the final in a pub in, say, Dover or Croydon, would have been like. The total opposite I bet. The only thing coming home is more shite.

I lived in Germany for near on 10 years, a long time ago, and I never once had any animosity towards myself or the "English" I say English, I am generally speaking here, and given I was posted there, they dont usually care for squaddies, shagging their women etc etc....

They dont do the football/war hatred our twats seem to do, they just get on and enjoy the fun/game of it all.

Sadly, half the cnuts who go out and make the trouble wouldnt be seen for dust if a war actually happened again.

Sad its the Ingerland cnuts who are so proud yet so fickle in the same breath.

" I feckin love (insert any black (can i say that) player here) when they play well, then abuse them for being black when they miss a peno.

I personally hate sterling because he is a cnut, nothing to do with his colour, btw.

Regarding the anthem, ours is shite, its not about the country like the rest of the worlds are, I think thats half the problem.

• Upvote 2

Eriksen surviving should be among the tournament highlights. That seems a long time ago now, admittedly. But it was a really shocking series of events at the time. 

As for the notion of this England squad being relatively likeable, I don't know. Sure, I'm Irish and biased, but apart from Pickford and Kane who you mention (and Rice, who is impossible for us Irish to ignore), consider the following from the past year or so alone:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/harry-maguire-arrest-over-row-22568002

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/dec/15/jack-grealish-banned-from-driving-for-nine-months-after-lockdown-crash

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11679/11985054/kyle-walker-defends-himself-after-second-coronavirus-lockdown-breach

• Upvote 1

On 12/07/2021 at 20:54, dave u said:

Good point that. They absolutely deserve better. Let's not forget in the build up (and in the first game?) they were booed by some of their own 'fans' for taking the knee.

Exactly Dave it's ridiculous.

Watching Tyrone Mings blast Priti Patel when she tried to pretend she was horrified by the racism Rashford, Sancho and Saka experienced after she herself said fans have the right to boo the players taking the knee was great though.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Josef Svejk said:

Eriksen surviving should be among the tournament highlights. That seems a long time ago now, admittedly. But it was a really shocking series of events at the time. 

As for the notion of this England squad being relatively likeable, I don't know. Sure, I'm Irish and biased, but apart from Pickford and Kane who you mention (and Rice, who is impossible for us Irish to ignore), consider the following from the past year or so alone:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/harry-maguire-arrest-over-row-22568002

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/dec/15/jack-grealish-banned-from-driving-for-nine-months-after-lockdown-crash

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11679/11985054/kyle-walker-defends-himself-after-second-coronavirus-lockdown-breach

Yeah Eriksen being ok was definitely the highlight because let's face it, he died. He was dead. They brought him back but it doesn't even bear thinking about if they hadn't been able to. UEFA would have still made Denmark play I reckon. Thankfully we'll never know.

As for the England players, I wouldn't have included any of those three in the 'they're good lads' list although I do think there's a lot to like about Grealish any time I've seen him interviewed.

My mum hates him though and when that drink driving / lockdown breach happened she said, deadly serious "I'm not surprised, you can tell by the way he wears his shin pads he has no respect for the law".

• Upvote 10

3 minutes ago, dave u said:

Yeah Eriksen being ok was definitely the highlight because let's face it, he died. He was dead. They brought him back but it doesn't even bear thinking about if they hadn't been able to. UEFA would have still made Denmark play I reckon. Thankfully we'll never know.

As for the England players, I wouldn't have included any of those three in the 'they're good lads' list although I do think there's a lot to like about Grealish any time I've seen him interviewed.

My mum hates him though and when that drink driving / lockdown breach happened she said, deadly serious "I'm not surprised, you can tell by the way he wears his shin pads he has no respect for the law".

Said it before Dave but you need to get your mum to write a column. 

• Upvote 1

Haha. I was out and about last week, wearing my LFC top when some woman walking past me started whispering "it's coming home...". My first reaction was to think "Oh do fuck off". Suprised myself there as I'm usually a live and let live kinda guy. But she got my goat so I'm glad someone else sees the cringe factor behind it.

I'm no England fan by any means so the whole wailing and gnashing of teeth that's followed in the media hides a simple central truth: the better team won. and that's all there is to it for me. Everything else is just noise. 

On 14/07/2021 at 11:52, dave u said:

Thats got to be the best line I've read in a long time. Brilliant.

• Upvote 1

On 13/07/2021 at 21:55, MOGLET said:

I lived in Germany for near on 10 years, a long time ago, and I never once had any animosity towards myself or the "English" I say English, I am generally speaking here, and given I was posted there, they dont usually care for squaddies, shagging their women etc etc....

They dont do the football/war hatred our twats seem to do, they just get on and enjoy the fun/game of it all.

Sadly, half the cnuts who go out and make the trouble wouldnt be seen for dust if a war actually happened again.

Sad its the Ingerland cnuts who are so proud yet so fickle in the same breath.

" I feckin love (insert any black (can i say that) player here) when they play well, then abuse them for being black when they miss a peno.

I personally hate sterling because he is a cnut, nothing to do with his colour, btw.

Regarding the anthem, ours is shite, its not about the country like the rest of the worlds are, I think thats half the problem.

Yeah Germans don't give a flying shit about this supposed rivalry with England, it's totally a one way thing. Their national rivalry is with The Netherlands.

I went to Germany for the 2006 world cup and even their fans have a nobhead element as some fucking dickhead smashed the window of an Italian restaurant after they were eliminated in the semis by Italy. But let's face it, it's nowhere near as bad as the England nobhead element. I used to be behind the national team more than Liverpool, I think a combination of the World cup in 1990 and Euro 96 were part of it, plus all my mates who supported other teams all being unified together, as there is not much that seems to bring the British public together and Sport, especially Football seems to be the only thing.

But I also remember feeling deeply embarassed by England fans in watching games building up to that World cup - singing about German bombers and the IRA to fucking Poland. Singing the same songs in Germany just completely lacked class, Germans are the most wonderful hosts and to spit in their faces just disgusted me. I think a little bit of supporting the country in football at least ebbed away from me after that experience and while I still do care it's not nearly as much as I do for Liverpool or for England then. I'd love it to matter as much but it doesn't feel like it ever will again.

The tournament was absolutely great despite valid concerns about 3rd place nations still qualifying, I loved that Ukraine got through and then beat Sweden. Denmark getting to the semis was lovely after that horrible incident, I also enjoyed minnows of Macedonia getting a run out. 

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic