You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Euro 2020 Round Up (Final)

tlw content

Thank fuck that’s over. If you’re expecting me to be gloating or happy about England’s heartbreak you’re going to be disappointed. I stand by everything I’ve said previously and under no circumstances did I want them to win, but when they lost all I felt was relief and, surprisingly, some sadness.

I took absolutely no joy in it, in fact I actually felt quite bad for some of those involved. That doesn’t mean I wish they’d won because that would have been a fucking nightmare. But I do feel for a lot of the players and to a lesser extent for the decent, normal people (especially the kids) who got swept along and have been enjoying the ride. Rubbing their noses in it is not something I have any desire to do.

I said ‘lesser extent’ there because those who aren’t really that arsed about footy but got excited because they’d reached a final will get over this pretty quickly. They probably already are. They can take the flags down from their windows and go back to not caring again. That’s not a criticism by the way. I get it and I don’t have a problem with it. They aren’t the reason I wanted England to lose.

That being said, any time I heard anyone saying “it’s coming home” it provoked a reaction in me that I couldn’t control. “Fuck off you twat” was my instinctive response and it didn’t even matter if it was man woman or child saying it! There’s just something about that phrase that brings out the devil in me. The initial song was great and relevant at the time. Over the years it’s been hijacked and the meaning of it skewed by entitled dickheads. England are international football’s equivalent of Huddersfield or Blackpool. Imagine Huddersfield fans talking about “it’s coming home” if they happened to be in a title race.

The song was about a tournament coming home to where football began. Now it's used as some weird self entitled mantra that suggests England have some kind of claim on international trophies when they haven't won one in my lifetime, and I'm nearly fifty now! They have no idea how ridiculous "its coming home" sounds and it just gives other nations more reason to take the piss. Look at the Italy players with their "It's coming to Rome" shouts. Can't blame them, everybody is sick of that "coming home" bullshit.

I’m not proud of this but the players and the decent people supporting England are just collateral damage to me. If them being disappointed also means the huge amount of fucking wankers living their lives vicariously through ‘their country’ being successful are also left disappointed, so be it. That's the only thing that matters to me.

I just didn’t want to see that huge amount of fucking twats from all around the country being happy. It’s that simple really. And if others who I have no beef with are also denied happiness then that’s preferable to me than seeing the absolute worst people in this country getting to celebrate. I should be the bigger man but *shrugs* I’m clearly not. 

All those videos we all saw of the mobs lashing bottles, fighting, shoving flares up their arseholes, storming the gates of the stadium, drinking beer out of each others arse cracks (yes, that happened) and all the rest of it, I did not want those people to be able to celebrate anything and if that meant hundreds of thousands of kids up and down the country also being disappointed then fine, I can live with that. As I say, I’m not proud of it but I can’t control it either.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that Euro 2020 round ups are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic

The whole coming home thing is my biggest bug bare. That song is all about the World cup, not half the main footballing world ie the euro competition.

50 years of hurt my arse, England have never won the euro ever, so no years of hurt, its all bollocks.

And sterling is still a 1 decent play out of every 10 he gets involved with, I stand by that, and hes a diving cnut.

• Upvote 1

Amazing read as usual Dave

I am glad England lost and only because of the wankers they have in their support base, as cool as it would have been to see Henderson win something for his country those wankers have just made it impossible to look past them. As much as I hate them tho even I was surprised by the performance they put on yesterday. 

This England team honestly deserves better than these losers because they spent the whole day and tournament embarrassing them and when the time came when they were actually needed to be fans and support their damn team while Italy was overrunning their midfield and controlling the match they went quiet and when the England team needed their support after losing the stadium emptied. The fans abandoned them. 

Imagine watching your team live for the first time in more than a year and you abandon them as these fucking losers have. I'm trying to imagine that happening at a Liverpool match and I just can't, I know our fans would have started singing You'll Never Walk Alone the moment the final penalty was missed to show support while with England people started worrying about Sancho, Rashford, and Saka being racially abused... And what do you know they were proven right. 

Fucking losers deserve every inch of the heartache they feel today.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Mikhail said:

This England team honestly deserves better than these losers because they spent the whole day and tournament embarrassing them and when the time came when they were actually needed to be fans and support their damn team while Italy was overrunning their midfield and controlling the match they went quiet and when the England team needed their support after losing the stadium emptied. The fans abandoned them. 

Good point that. They absolutely deserve better. Let's not forget in the build up (and in the first game?) they were booed by some of their own 'fans' for taking the knee.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, dave u said:

Good point that. They absolutely deserve better. Let's not forget in the build up (and in the first game?) they were booed by some of their own 'fans' for taking the knee.

The fans were all passed out drunk by half time normal time.

• Upvote 2

I seem to just feel complete indifference for the national team these days. I don't root against them like some on here but I'm never really arsed if they lose. Years of turgid football and the large number of nobheads the national team attracts have made it hard to really care about them. Last night I was rooting for Italy for the simple reason that I'd bet on them to win the tournament.

England were ultimately just too negative last night and paid the price for it. Italy looked a bit shellshocked after the early goal and were pretty awful for the first half hour. That was the time to go for the kill but instead England just sat back and played it ultra safe. Once Italy sorted themselves out the equaliser always looked inevitable.  I agree about it being terrible management to select Saka for the fifth penalty. So ridiculous and unfair to give such an important penalty to such a young lad.  I don't really agree with bringing on players right at the end just to take penalties either. I remember Carragher being brought on solely to take a spot kick against Portugal at a world cup, and he ended up missing as well. It seems to just add even more pressure on the takers and they don't even get chance to get a feel for the game.

It's been a pretty enjoyable tournament. I couldn't really get into the group stages as there were too many dull games and little in the way of jeopardy due to most third placed teams qualifying, but the knockout stages have been decent. Spain vs Italy was a really decent game as well and I can't really remember any complete snoozefests (maybe the first 70 minutes of England vs Germany). Like any international tournaments, though, it's just been a brief minor distraction before getting back to the proper football business. Here's to a few weeks of endless transfer speculation before the new domestic season gets underway. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Trumo said:

The England fans in the stadium were laying claim to Gala's 'Freed From Desire' too, just as they did with 'Sweet Caroline'. How many had any idea that Gala is an Italian singer?

The Italian players were singing it on the plane home.

4 hours ago, johnsusername said:

Great write up Dave.

There are loads of things I hate about what surrounds the England football team, but I cannot fucking stand the national anthem and fans who sing it. Imagine going the match and singing God Save The Queen.

FUCK.

THAT.

Yup, boils my piss that song! Don't know how true it is but I heard a while back that the England players have to sing it now or they get a bollocking and / or fine from the powers that be!

Stick your cap up arse springs to mind!

• Upvote 1

Excellent report Dave, five star. I watched the England-Germany game in a german pub surrounded by mostly young Germans. No bother, no belting out the anthem, no aggression, booing or pissed up dickheads. I wonder what being an Italian watching the final in a pub in, say, Dover or Croydon, would have been like. The total opposite I bet. The only thing coming home is more shite.

• Upvote 3

People will say “don’t let them win” or “why let them stop you supporting England?”. If you can compartmentalise it and put that to one side then good for you. Seriously. I’m not being facetious. If you want to support England then do it. I respect your right to do it. Hopefully you respect mine to not. 

Think you have nailed it there to be honest. I'm a Liverpool fan, but was born and raised in the south (Kent). I have always supported England in major tournaments and will continue to do so. I am totally ashamed by the large portion of the fanbase who continue to embarrass the rest of the country with their behaviour, but that won't stop me in supporting the team. I, like many others, don't identify myself with those 'supporters' and it's important not to tar everyone with the same brush.

I was absolutely gutted at full time because i'd have been made up to see everyone genuinely happy. Not the nobhead, nationalistic 'fans' or band wagon jumping MP's. I don't care about them. But to see my friends and family happy, especially after the past 15 months, would have been great. It would have done the country the world of good.

• Upvote 6

Agree with all of the sentiments, shite fans, decent bunch of lads as players, best player should never take an easy first pen (never see Ronaldo doing that) Southgate shit it when it mattered (not to me mind) i had a nice touch on the 1.1 scoreline.

Picking up yesterday post hype, and real news, is Where are Klopp's Glasses? All the pics from Austria he is wearing none. Even taking pics without them. New eyes?

• Upvote 2

Brilliant write up and sums up exactly how I feel about England. The shit I got from my workmates about being ambivalent toward England was incredibly sad & at one point I nearly told them all to fuck off.

Thankfully can now concentrate on the reds and hopefully putting right what went wrong last season. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Paul Wright said:

Agree with all of the sentiments, shite fans, decent bunch of lads as players, best player should never take an easy first pen (never see Ronaldo doing that) Southgate shit it when it mattered (not to me mind) i had a nice touch on the 1.1 scoreline.

Picking up yesterday post hype, and real news, is Where are Klopp's Glasses? All the pics from Austria he is wearing none. Even taking pics without them. New eyes?

Echo tomorrow: How Klopp's laser eye surgery will cost Specsavers millions.

• Upvote 1

Great write up!

Decent enough tournament but FFS the group stages had some dull games..meaningless,  it was like trying to get out of qualifying for the Europa League. The Danes won 1 game and finished 2nd in group (I was chuffed as other half a Dane, but ridiculous).

I think Southgate has been flattered to death...the football is so bland. Irony was I expected the defence to be their undoing but going forward, only Sterling impressed and like his mate Kane the ice on the grass was a problem for him.

5 Defenders, 2 Defensive midfielders in Final. At the outset I expected to see Grealish behind Kane, then Mount, Sancho, Foden, Rashford having a real go in games, granted it worked to a large extent results wise, but I think other side of draw would have exposed them more. Fckin Declan Rice, Harry M and Pickford are the backbone...

All bar one game away against a Ukraine side that would struggle to qualify out of the Championship and talk now of winning the World Cup...he had it on a plate in 2018, lost to 2 decent sides Belgium and Croatia and this time with that Home advantage going 1-0 up in Final and then spewing up 66% possession against a defence that had a pairing aged 70. 

I thought Italy were outplayed by Spain in the semi but on the whole the best side throughout, with some good players and some mediocre also. Hats off to Mancini though, they entertained, which is not something you associate with the Italians..albeit Chiellini entertainment with his shithousery stood out!

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, terry symes said:

I was absolutely gutted at full time because i'd have been made up to see everyone genuinely happy. Not the nobhead, nationalistic 'fans' or band wagon jumping MP's. I don't care about them. But to see my friends and family happy, especially after the past 15 months, would have been great. It would have done the country the world of good.

Yeah I completely respect that and I'd say you and your friends and family would be the 'collateral damage' I was referring to. I don't want to take away your happiness but if that also meant all the wankers getting to celebrate as well then it's just too much for me!

I saw something on Twitter that really summed it up well and in a way I hadn't thought of before. It was something along the lines of...

Every club has dickhead fans and England gets ALL of those dickheads. 

That's exactly it when you think about it. It's why when you see club fans being dicks its a small minority, but you can't call it a minority with England because there's so many of the cunts. And that's why! They have everyone's knobheads.

• Upvote 2

• dave u unpinned this topic