You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Pre-season 21/22 & season ahead views.

Scott_M

Virgils raking crossfield passes where dreamy yesterday. We missed them as much as any of his defensive qualities, they allow Mo and Sadio stay high and wide, they allow the fullbacks really push on safe in the knowledge we are keeping the ball and they push the opposition further away from our goal. He does look rusty as fuck, you could make an argument Norwich is too soon, Burnley are too rough and Chelsea are too nimble but he's only going to sharpen up by playing so get him in there.

• Downvote 1

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Brownie said:

People are setting themselves up for a big fall if they are expecting anything from Keita this season.

I hope Tsimikas is half as good as some are suggesting as well, as that Robbo injury put a real downer on everything yesterday. Up until that point I thought we’d looked really sharp as well.

The general view of yesterdays game from my perspective was that we looked really sharp with the ball but defensively wide open.

I’m only basing Tsmiskas on this pre-season form, he has been impressive. I get that the real thing is somewhat different. 

In terms of being defensively open, I don’t think the midfield helped that. The cover for the full backs wasn’t as good it would be with Hendo, Fabinho or Thiago playing. Not a criticism of Elliot, he just 18 in a new position but Keita has been here long enough now to know better. As I mentioned previously, Robbo kept dropping too deep in the first half and VVD isn’t 100% yet.

The first half yesterday, there was significant reasons to be optimistic.

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

I’m only basing Tsmiskas on this pre-season form, he has been impressive. I get that the real thing is somewhat different. 

In terms of being defensively open, I don’t think the midfield helped that. The cover for the full backs wasn’t as good it would be with Hendo, Fabinho or Thiago playing. Not a criticism of Elliot, he just 18 in a new position but Keita has been here long enough now to know better. As I mentioned previously, Robbo kept dropping too deep in the first half and VVD isn’t 100% yet.

The first half yesterday, there was significant reasons to be optimistic.

Up until Robbo’s injury, I was buzzing about how we looked, especially with the ball. As I already said, we looked open but we also looked really lively with the ball.

I think a combination of Robbo’s injury and the usual pre-season lethargy kicked in after that.

I’m really not sure what to expect this season, it’s a bit up in the air for me. I can see us doing some great things but there are also loads of question marks.

21 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Up until Robbo’s injury, I was buzzing about how we looked, especially with the ball. As I already said, we looked open but we also looked really lively with the ball.

I think a combination of Robbo’s injury and the usual pre-season lethargy kicked in after that.

I’m really not sure what to expect this season, it’s a bit up in the air for me. I can see us doing some great things but there are also loads of question marks.

Get where you’re coming from. I think a more experienced midfield would have have helped the openness. 

I agree with your assessment of Keita. Again I think though, maybe Fabiano or Hendo alongside him would help. I think he’s looked a bit better this pre-season but I don’t have any hopes that he’ll show anything any different to previous seasons.

Starts slowly - looks great in games we completely dominate - invisible in games we have to work hard at - gets injured. 

I’ve joked he’ll start at Norwich and limp off after 20 mins. I say “joked”, I’m only half joking really, I suppose that’s how we’ve all come to feel about him. 

Fucking hell, what were Warnock and Spackman thinking saying the queues of fans trying to get into Anfield yesterday was caused by fans 'turning up late' or 'just coming out of the pub' at the last minute?

The fucking pair of them should never work for LFCtv ever again.

I fucking despair, I really do.

• Upvote 4

35 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Fucking hell, what were Warnock and Spackman thinking saying the queues of fans trying to get into Anfield yesterday was caused by fans 'turning up late' or 'just coming out of the pub' at the last minute?

The fucking pair of them should never work for LFCtv ever again.

I fucking despair, I really do.

Spackman has form, Chelsea cunt.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Brownie said:

It's clear we can upgrade Keita, Origi and Minamino. I don't think anyone disputes that. 

But aside from selling and then replacing them, what would you have us do?

I keep hearing about Robbo's injury, but we have an international left back as cover. A player who won the league in Greece.

What are we honestly expecting to do that's better? A world class left back as cover? A third option, just in case?

I don't get why there such a downer on a squad that did very well last season, and who now have their 3 centre backs back from injury, a full set of midfielders to choose from IN MIDFIELD, 3 of the most talented young kids in the country, and all (bar Robertson) their best players healthy and happy.

And all this back at a packed Anfield.

If you're not (still) buzzing about the start of the season, I really feel for you.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, m0e said:

It's clear we can upgrade Keita, Origi and Minamino. I don't think anyone disputes that. 

But aside from selling and then replacing them, what would you have us do?

I keep hearing about Robbo's injury, but we have an international left back as cover. A player who won the league in Greece.

What are we honestly expecting to do that's better? A world class left back as cover? A third option, just in case?

I don't get why there such a downer on a squad that did very well last season, and who now have their 3 centre backs back from injury, a full set of midfielders to choose from IN MIDFIELD, 3 of the most talented young kids in the country, and all (bar Robertson) their best players healthy and happy.

And all this back at a packed Anfield.

If you're not (still) buzzing about the start of the season, I really feel for you.

I was absolutely buzzing to be back at Anfield yesterday and I can’t wait for the season to start. That’s completely separate to how I think we’ll actually do.

Our squad right now is weaker than it was at the start of last season and I don’t see how that is a good thing, especially when you look at how much stronger our rivals are.

I think we’re a really good team and are capable of doing well but there are also concerns and question marks. What’s wrong with that?

• Upvote 1

To answer the questions about the squad; I would replace Gini.

I’d look at getting a right back so that Trent can have a breather when required and i’d bring in another forward who more or less guarantees goals as Bobby has just deteriorated year on year.

So not loads of changes, just two or three.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Brownie said:

I was absolutely buzzing to be back at Anfield yesterday and I can’t wait for the season to start. That’s completely separate to how I think we’ll actually do.

Our squad right now is weaker than it was at the start of last season and I don’t see how that is a good thing, especially when you look at how much stronger our rivals are.

I think we’re a really good team and are capable of doing well but there are also concerns and question marks. What’s wrong with that?

You say it's weaker, but we have a 4th centre back, with now proven 5th and 6th choices. Which means we have Fabinho back in midfield full time.

I'd say it's about the same.

The youngsters and new players from last season are all healthy and settled.

And we've got the fans back at Anfield.

We're in a much better position that we were in January, and we will add to the squad as and when we sell.

2 minutes ago, Brownie said:

To answer the questions about the squad; I would replace Gini.

I’d look at getting a right back so that Trent can have a breather when required and i’f bring in another forward who more or less guarantees goals as Bobby has just deteriorated year on year.

So not loads of changes, just two or three.

No arguement from me there. I do understand why he won't/can't buy a midfielder without selling, though.

Edit - same goes for a striker.

We have 15/16 as good as anything in the league. I think we have the best starting 11.

We’ll finish high but it’ll be the other 5/6 which decide how high we finish.

In 18/19 & 19/20, they contributed. Last season they offered fuck all. 

I don’t think we need a douse of good luck. I just think we need less bad luck.

I’ve faith the other 5/6 will contribute this season & we’ll challenge. Completely appreciate those who don’t fee the same given how little they contributed last season. 

6 minutes ago, m0e said:

You say it's weaker, but we have a 4th centre back, with now proven 5th and 6th choices. Which means we have Fabinho back in midfield full time.

I'd say it's about the same.

The youngsters and new players from last season are all healthy and settled.

And we've got the fans back at Anfield.

We're in a much better position that we were in January, and we will add to the squad as and when we sell.

Decent 5th and 6th choice centre halves > having Gini? Whatever floats your boat mate.

3 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Decent 5th and 6th choice centre halves > having Gini? Whatever floats your boat mate.

A proper 4th centre back, freeing Fabinho to go back into midfield.

So that's Konate for Gini.

The fact we have even more proven squad players now makes it on par, if not a better squad.

How do you not see that?

3 minutes ago, m0e said:

A proper 4th centre back, freeing Fabinho to go back into midfield.

So that's Konate for Gini.

The fact we have even more proven squad players now makes it on par, if not a better squad.

How do you not see that?

Fabinho wasn’t even factored in as a centre half at the start of last season. That happened mid season.

4 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Fabinho wasn’t even factored in as a centre half at the start of last season. That happened mid season.

Ok, I'm not sure this is worth it, but here goes.

He was named by our manager as our our 4th choice centre back and played there in our 2nd or 3rd game of the season versus Chelsea, and then stayed there from October, the following month.

We had 3 centre halves going into the season, and most fans were in a strop about it, particularly because one of the 3 was Matip.

To claim anything otherwise is mental.

You say that's a better squad going into the season, and that's good for you.

It simply isn't.

I know we're much better now, because we have 2+ players for every position. We've also got Harvey Elliot back.

I'll look forward to the season and you can keep sulking about Gini.

• Upvote 1

Just now, m0e said:

We got there in the end.

The idea of a 4th centre half is for them to hardly ever play. When it’s someone playing there out of position, it’s an emergency job. So going into the season, the plan wasn’t for Fabinho to play centre half, it was for him to play in midfield.

You know that as well as I do, smart arse.

2 minutes ago, Brownie said:

The idea of a 4th centre half is for them to hardly ever play. When it’s someone playing there out of position, it’s an emergency job. So going into the season, the plan wasn’t for Fabinho to play centre half, it was for him to play in midfield.

You know that as well as I do, smart arse.

So, it was fair game to assume Fabinho would play more than his fair share there because of Matip's injury record, but the idea of Fabinho at 4th choice was for him to hardly play.

Riiiiggghhhttt

As I said, the squad is at least on par, if not better now.

Just now, m0e said:

So, it was fair game to assume Fabinho would play a fair bit there because of Matip's injury record, but the idea of Fabinho at 4th choice was for him to hardly play.

Riiiiggghhhttt

As I said, the squad is at least on par, if not better now.

The previous season our 4th choice centre half played in 11 games out of 57. And he was an actual international centre half.

There’s no way Fabinho was expected to be playing as many games as he did at centre half in the end. In fact, he shouldn’t have, as was proven later on in the season with the form of Phillips and Williams.

So right now, you’re arguing that us having Konate (who we haven’t seen play properly yet) instead of Gini (who was fucking boss) means we have a stronger team/squad.

As I said earlier, whatever floats your boat mate.

I’m hopeful we’ll still get one or two in before the window closes and I bet Kloppo is too.