You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Pre-season 21/22 & season ahead views.

Scott_M

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

Fabinho was clearly 4th choice CB last season.

I’m not arguing that he wasn’t, i’m saying the plan was for him to cover that position but to play in midfield. That’s clear.

I could have worded it better but that’s what I meant.

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both @Brownie and @m0e are sort of right, I reckon.

overall, having a quality centre back signed (assuming he is) makes our squad depth improve significantly because we don’t end up weakening both defence and midfield if players are out, and the confidence we have in the true emergency back ups behind them is a bit better too, as they didn’t let us down and have a bit more experience.

that said, at the same time, losing Gini and not replacing him is a major lowering of the bar in terms of team and squad strength, and we all have to one degree or another less confident in Origi, Keita, Minamino and Ox.

it’s totally fair to feel the squad hasn’t been strengthened overall despite signing a centre back we can be happy to have.

a striker option (ideally replacing origi) and a midfielder (to replace the departed Gini) would make everyone a lot happier.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Both @Brownie and @m0e are sort of right, I reckon.

overall, having a quality centre back signed (assuming he is) makes our squad depth improve significantly because we don’t end up weakening both defence and midfield if players are out, and the confidence we have in the true emergency back ups behind them is a bit better too, as they didn’t let us down and have a bit more experience.

that said, at the same time, losing Gini and not replacing him is a major lowering of the bar in terms of team and squad strength, and we all have to one degree or another less confident in Origi, Keita, Minamino and Ox.

it’s totally fair to feel the squad hasn’t been strengthened overall despite signing a centre back we can be happy to have.

a striker option (ideally replacing origi) and a midfielder (to replace the departed Gini) would make everyone a lot happier.

If the club want to give a real path to Jones and Elliott in midfield, they are justified in not getting a midfielder. We'll see if they're right or not after this season. I think we're defo buying one next summer anyway as Milner won't have a contract.

The real area of upgrade is getting rid of the Minamino/Origi/Shaqiri type players and improving on that with a real option up front.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

If the club want to give a real path to Jones and Elliott in midfield, they are justified in not getting a midfielder. We'll see if they're right or not after this season. I think we're defo buying one next summer anyway as Milner won't have a contract.

The real area of upgrade is getting rid of the Minamino/Origi/Shaqiri type players and improving on that with a real option up front.

I agree with the point about midfield, that’s why I described the concerns heading into the season as “question marks”. We don’t really know how good Curtis and Harvey are at this point. They could develop into genuine starters in which case not replacing Gini would be fair enough, it’s just that we don’t know. Uncertainty impacts on confidence.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, m0e said:

Yes. And Thiago was Gini's a year early.

Perhaps. But with the injury record of Keita, AOC & Henderson in particular I would argue that we need another midfielder. Otherwise we are left with having to use unproven players and/or ageing players more than planned.

2 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Perhaps. But with the injury record of Keita, AOC & Henderson in particular I would argue that we need another midfielder. Otherwise we are left with having to use unproven players and/or ageing players more than planned.

Like I said before, you have no arguements from me on that.

I don't like the fact we have to sell one of our midfielders before buying a new one, but sell one (or even 2) we must.

The fact we have 6 internationals who can play there (Fabinho, Henderson, Thiago, Keita, Shaqiri and Minamino), plus 2 home grown and experienced campaigners (Oxlade and Milner), plus another 2 highly rated youngsters (Jones and Elliott) makes it extremely difficult for both Klopp AND Edwards to sanction a signing, in my opinion.

Jota and Origi gives us 5 up top, plus any of Shaq, Minamino, Oxlade, Elliott and Jones as cover, so you can also see why we're not sanctioning any forwards.

I don't like it. But I understand it.

And as a consolation, I think we have more than enough to win both big trophies with what we have.

7 minutes ago, Brownie said:

I don’t understand what the problem is? 

Seems to be a combo of tech issues with the new systems at the turnstyles being slow and people not knowing how to use their phones. Probably one of the reasons they had two home pre-season games this time around.

Im not sure what the rules are in the prem if we delay kickoff games because of issues like this but i'm sure there will be shouts that we need to forfeit games and give up points from some neighbours...

5 minutes ago, Salou said:

Seems to be a combo of tech issues with the new systems at the turnstyles being slow and people not knowing how to use their phones. Probably one of the reasons they had two home pre-season games this time around.

Im not sure what the rules are in the prem if we delay kickoff games because of issues like this but i'm sure there will be shouts that we need to forfeit games and give up points from some neighbours...

The actual scanner was no slower for me last night. Put ticket in and wait for it to scan then in you go. I don’t understand what’s so difficult.

The tech is the same isn’t it? Just scanning off a phone or piece of paper rather than a card.

2 minutes ago, Brownie said:

The actual scanner was no slower for me last night. Put ticket in and wait for it to scan then in you go. I don’t understand what’s so difficult.

The tech is the same isn’t it? Just scanning off a phone or piece of paper rather than a card.

I've seen this on trains and at concerts where people have their phone brightness etc at settings such that the scanner can't pick it up. Also reading feedback from the SoS statement and other comments people seem to be having issues downloading the actual pass to their NFC wallets on their phones.