You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Pre-season 21/22 & season ahead views.

Scott_M

Right, now the hoopla of the last month is over, let’s move back to something far more important.

Obviously the squad is in Austria now on a camp. Interesting that Gomez, Matip and VVD are all out there. Hopefully there are all able to fully take part in training and aren’t just there to be re-integrated into the squad. 

Once some friendlies are set up, looking forward to seeing Konaté & Elliot.

Going into next season, although I’d like another midfielder & attacker, I’m confident we’ll be back challenging again.

Points wise, we were the best side in the league last season over the first 16 and last 10 games. We showed massive balls to salvage last season, hopefully that stands us in good stead for this season. 

• Upvote 4

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Feels to me as if it is going to be really tough for us this season to challenge again....feel squad needs refreshing and needs the permacrocks and the dead wood shifting - and just not sure we'll do enough of those things.

Let's hope we do because going into this season relying on the same unreliable crocks and poor back up is just not an exciting prospect - we need to start the refresh of an ageing squad that has too many players who add nothing and use next 4 windows to really cement a place at the top table.

We got out of jail last season and secured the European Cup riches, we now need to use that escape to kick on again.

9 minutes ago, an tha said:

Feels to me as if it is going to be really tough for us this season to challenge again....feel squad needs refreshing and needs the permacrocks and the dead wood shifting - and just not sure we'll do enough of those things.

Let's hope we do because going into this season relying on the same unreliable crocks and poor back up is just not an exciting prospect - we need to start the refresh of an ageing squad that has too many players who add nothing and use next 4 windows to really cement a place at the top table.

We got out of jail last season and secured the European Cup riches, we now need to use that escape to kick on again.

Inspirational stuff. 

• Upvote 1

On the plus side, at least we shouldn't run out of defenders again.

On the minus side, everything else.

The squad simply lacks the depth in midfield and attack to compete on all fronts. The same players that were run into the ground last season, less Gini Wijnaldum, is not a recipe for success.

2 minutes ago, Mark M said:

When are the the rest of the squad due to meet up ? Is it a 2 week break they get from now after the tournaments finished 

Mandatory 3 week break apparently. Talk of those involved over the weekend not being back until c.10 days before Norwich.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

On the plus side, at least we shouldn't run out of defenders again.

On the minus side, everything else.

The squad simply lacks the depth in midfield and attack to compete on all fronts. The same players that were run into the ground last season, less Gini Wijnaldum, is not a recipe for success.

We have 7 midfielders (Fabinho, Hendo, Thiago, Keita, Ox, Milner, and Jones) for 3 midfield spots. We need a back-up right back before yet another midfielder.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, aRdja said:

We have 7 midfielders (Fabinho, Hendo, Thiago, Keita, Ox, Milner, and Jones) for 3 midfield spots. We need a back-up right back before yet another midfielder.

Three out of those 7 aren't good enough and Old Man Milner didn't look great last season. 

14 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Milner's a million years old, and Keita and Ox have spent more time in hospital this past year than doctors on the covid wards.

14 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I think we’ll add to that as well. 

If you break down the squad, although we could do with another injection of quality, if we avoid the disastrous injuries from last season (I don’t believe it could be anywhere near as bad again), the squad is obviously very, very strong. 

• Upvote 2

We had all those players last year yet Wijnaldum played pretty much every game.

You can't lose that many minutes from a player and not replace IMO.

I know we had midfielders playing at centre half and would expect to not have to be in that situation again - but still, Wijnaldum has easily been our most reliable midfelder over last few seasons...i feel we need more in there now he has gone given the question marks over rest of them.

13 minutes ago, an tha said:

We had all those players last year yet Wijnaldum played pretty much every game.

You can't lose that many minutes from a player and not replace IMO.

I know we had midfielders playing at centre half and would expect to not have to be in that situation again - but still, Wijnaldum has easily been our most reliable midfelder over last few seasons...i feel we need more in there now he has gone given the question marks over rest of them.

While true, I don’t think thats the full story.

We lost VVD, Gomez and Matip. We then also lost Fabinho and Hendo in the middle of the park and then Hendo for the rest of the season through injury. 

We also missed Thiago for the first half of the season. 

Although we’ll be missing Wijnaldum, we will be gaining the above players.  

However, IMO, I’d sign another midfielder as I don’t trust Keita.