You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Things You’ve Seen & Done That Will Always Stay With You

Anubis

1 hour ago, Paul said:

What a fantastic idea for a thread! I think this is one I’ll keep coming back to as things occur to me but here are the first few that spring to mind:

1. Standing on the top of one of the twin towers (don’t know which one) while on honeymoon and seeing a biplane fly beneath us as we looked down over the city. A truly disorientating and amazing experience.

2. A day sailing out to the great barrier reef to go scuba-diving. We went on an old tea clipper crewed by a load of mostly young women who were getting crewing experience so they could race and it was a really fantastic day. There was great food, plenty of beer, games and storytelling – which sounds a bit naff, but it wasn’t. It was fantastic. The scuba-diving itself was absolutely incredible! Two baby sharks, probably about four or 5 feet long, swung past us which was unnerving to say the least but still amazing fun.

3. Going on a trip down the Daintree river through the rainforest in the evening and seeing thousands of fruit bats come out of a cave and fly over our heads about 6 to 10 feet above us. Also seeing loads of alligators in the water as we went by.

4. My next one is something which I’m not sure is ethically sound anymore, but at the time we didn’t perceive there to be any problem with it: swimming with dolphins in Florida. We had a full day at Discovery Cove and the dolphin part  lasted about an hour. You truly felt like you were in the presence of another person.

Alligators? Don't be in any water and make that mistake again.

33 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I've done the barrier reef and the Daintree river. Saw a crocodile on the embankment nearly as big as our boat. Did you do Cape Tribulation and all that as well? Truly stunning part of the world. The Bat thing is mental, I stayed in Cairns for a bit and every tea-time it seemed like millions (and I mean millions) used to fly across the sky into the forest on the mountain. 

Yeah. We hired an off-road 4x4 and drove up to Cape Trib from Cairns. Stayed the night in the eco-lodge hotel where each room was an individual lodge in the trees. We had a drink on our balcony with a monkey watching us from a branch within touching distance (if there wasn’t mosquito netting enclosing us). 

On the drive up, we pulled over to go for a walk and went over the sand dunes onto a huge empty beach. Sat there having a picnic lunch for about an hour and blew some fellas mind who was walking his dogs. Said he walks them twice a day on that beach but we were the first other people he’d seen there in six months. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Paul said:

Yeah. We hired an off-road 4x4 and drove up to Cape Trib from Cairns. Stayed the night in the eco-lodge hotel where each room was an individual lodge in the trees. We had a drink on our balcony with a monkey watching us from a branch within touching distance (if there wasn’t mosquito netting enclosing us). 

On the drive up, we pulled over to go for a walk and went over the sand dunes onto a huge empty beach. Sat there having a picnic lunch for about an hour and blew some fellas mind who was walking his dogs. Said he walks them twice a day on that beach but we were the first other people he’d seen there in six months. 

Outstanding mate. I was there in 04, I'd give anything to go back right now. Today. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kevin D said:

Much to my shame, that is exactly what I ended up doing.

I was wearing suede shoes and if I had walked in any further, they would have been K.I.A.

It's strange, you never think of yourself as the type of guy who pisses in sinks, but there really wasn't a better option.

I don't blame anybody for pissing in a sink that night. It was a joke.

One toilet I went into had about a foot of piss on the floor. Seeing people wading into it was grim and hilarious.

Meeting William Shatner. Had my photo taken with him a few years back. Bearing in mind he'd been my hero since I was about six. He was sound too, it's always a worry that they won't be.

I'm not that fussed on celebrity. I've spoken to some down the years in jobs snd seen plenty out and about, especially footballers past and present in Liverpool, and I'm completely indifferent usually, but Shatner and Schwarzenegger are probably the only ones left in the world that'd turn me into a complete fanboy wreck.

• Upvote 2

As Paul said - brilliant thread idea. 

After I’d finished Camp America in 98 I went travelling on my own. Went to the Holocaust Memorial Museum in DC. You get given a passport style book with the indentity of someone who had been there at the start and read about them as you go through the museum. 

At the end there’s a mini cinema area where you watch a short film before reading the last page of the passport you were given and find out what happened. 

There was only one other old guy and I watching the film, when the lights came on at the end we just started a polite chit chat and he asked me what happened to the guy in my passport. 

I told him he had been killed and asked him what happened to his? 

He then pulled up his shirt sleeve to show me his identification tattoo. 

Was so fucking surreal and moving. 

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, Byrnie said:

I don't blame anybody for pissing in a sink that night. It was a joke.

One toilet I went into had about a foot of piss on the floor. Seeing people wading into it was grim and hilarious.

Thank you.

Stringvest and his soft southern fairies don't understand life for real men.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

I was with my Nan and saw Bill Clinton at the Labour Party conference in 02, it’s really difficult to describe the effect he has on a room just by walking into it before he even speaks. 

Me old boss was in his sort of labour entourage for that and said the same. Said he asked to go for a walk around Blackpool and some birds on a hen do got their tits out to him and he was pissing himself, then he took all the labour crowd he was with to McDonalds.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

'I've been to Paradise but I've never been to me.'

I heard that you've been to Nice and the Isle of Greece
When you sipped champagne on a yacht
You moved like Harlow in Monte Carlo
And showed them what you've got

You've been undressed by kings
And you've seen some things that a forumite ain't s'posed to see

58 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

I was with my Nan and saw Bill Clinton at the Labour Party conference in 02, it’s really difficult to describe the effect he has on a room just by walking into it before he even speaks. 

I suppose seeing your man sucking off a President would have a profound effect on you. 

53 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Me old boss was in his sort of labour entourage for that and said the same. Said he asked to go for a walk around Blackpool and some birds on a hen do got their tits out to him and he was pissing himself, then he took all the labour crowd he was with to McDonalds.

I got the impression he just enjoyed making decisions on the hoof and letting everyone else just sort what he wanted. 

Grampher Crowley had been a local Labour councillor for donkeys years and one of his great friends was in Prescott’s close circle - he’d arranged for Nan and I to attend and we were in some room for long serving party members with a spread laid on. 

Clinton then just decided to walk through the room we were in for no other reason than he could, said a few words and then fucked off with this massive entourage shitting themselves and following in his wake. 

My wife is obsessed by sharks, a veritable trove of useless information.

After our wedding I arranged for us to dive with Great Whites in South Africa with a conservation group, all a surprise until the safety video it was so well oganised.

Anyhows she's in an out of the water like a giidy toddler at a town centre fountain.

She comes back to deck and she's green.

I ask 'What's up?

She runs off to the whatever they call the railings and projectile vomits, I rush over and she's in tears.

'What's up?

She throws up again.

I look down and theres a Great White with it's mouth open gladly recieving the vomit as if it's chum.

'I just threw up in a sharks mouth, again' she said trying to not vomit agian or cry at the indignity of throwing up in an apex predators mouth.

4/5 for me, would do again.

• Upvote 2