You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Poll: Best managerial appointment

Ron B

Best managerial appointment (Nuno, Rafa, Lage)  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which managerial appointment will work out the best?

• Rafa
    • Nuno
    • Lage

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/08/21 at 22:59

Three big (well, you know) jobs opened up in the Prem over the summer, two of them expected one of them not so much. Which is the best appointment?

Fair do’s to Wolves for seeming to get their vacancy sorted with mininal bother beyond some post-Brexit work permit nonsense.  Whether Lage is necessarily up to the job is another matter, as he’s only ever been a Number One for 18 months. 
Nuno wasn’t first choice for Spurs... or second choice... or, well, you get the picture. He’s a good manager, but the club are a mess and their best player openly wants out. Ordinarily I’d say that makes him the guy who most needs to get off the a good start except for...

Ah Rafa. He has the best CV on this list by miles. And he’ll get the least slack from his own side’s fans, whose expectations are already unrealistic. You’d say that Everton can’t afford to bring in an expensive manager on a long-term contract, then change their minds and get rid before they’ve had a chance to make their mark. But history would suggest otherwise. 

Just now, Ron B said:

Bloody hell, I hadn’t realised the new Wolves boss had made so little impression!

I've never heard of him and don't really follow much of this off the field stuff anymore. Can't be arsed with it until the season starts again. I'll raise a glass to 'Pint''a Lage.

10 hours ago, Pete said:

Rafa. But he’ll also be the most under appreciated. 

The thing with this though, is I think there's every chance Rafa will do the worst. They hate him and it will take one bad performance for them to turn on him and it is vicous there. I don't see how it won't impact the team.

And on top of that Moshiri and usmanov are the ones who chose him and they'll have brandolf, the lovie and maybe even Ferguson internally moaning and complaining about that decision. And players need absolutely no excuse not to put a performance in.

Rafa perhaps needs to be the best manager there's ever been to unite that club and while he has many attributes, he's not that. In fact one of his best skills is dividing a club! 

I don't know how we rate who's going to do the best as wolves and Everton both underperformed last season, so I think it's easier for them to bounce forward. But I'll be surprised if Spurs are not the top team of those 3 again. 

Crystal Palace have appointed Patrick Vieira to succeed Roy Hodgson as the Premier League club's manager.

The former Arsenal captain emerged as Palace's preferred candidate after a lengthy process since Hodgson announced he was leaving the club on 18 May.

The 45-year-old Frenchman has signed a three-year contract with the Eagles, who finished 14th last season.

"I am really excited to have this opportunity to return to the Premier League," said Vieira.

Previously he had spent two and a half years in charge of Major League Soccer side New York City after beginning his coaching career in the academy at Manchester City, where he ended his stellar playing career in 2011.

He secured two play-off appearances at New York City and achieved seventh- and fifth-placed finishes during his two full seasons at Nice.

Nuno has the most chance because Spurs have some half decent players to be fair.

Lage will manage whoever Mendez gets Wolves to buy which might constrict him.

Rafa will not be given a sporting chance at the Pit, the bile will start well before he loses a match and will be deafening if he loses a couple on the bounce.

Short of winning a cup and qualifying for Europe, he’ll be hounded out as a failure and unless he plays “the School of Science” way even that might not be enough.

1 hour ago, coachpotato said:

Nuno has the most chance because Spurs have some half decent players to be fair.

Lage will manage whoever Mendez gets Wolves to buy which might constrict him.

Rafa will not be given a sporting chance at the Pit, the bile will start well before he loses a match and will be deafening if he loses a couple on the bounce.

Short of winning a cup and qualifying for Europe, he’ll be hounded out as a failure and unless he plays “the School of Science” way even that might not be enough.

He'll get 100mil for Kane and blow it all on Portuguese players, with buy-out clauses to the big clubs, and they'll finish outside the top 7.