You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Euro 2020 Round Up (Round of 16)

tlw content

It looks daft now but I had a sneaky feeling Wales were going to beat Denmark. I knew they were the underdogs but my gut was telling me Wales would cause an upset. Sadly, my gut is fucking clueless. 4-0? Ouch. That was disappointing. 

They started well enough though and for 15-20 minutes they were on top and playing well. Then Denmark got the measure of them, made a few tactical adjustments and that was that. 

Dolberg was only playing because Poulsen picked up an injury but he staked a claim for a regular spot with two goals. His first was a cracker and there was not too much Wales could have done to stop that. VAR did their best though, for some reason there was a check to see if Braithwaite in the middle was offside, even though he had nothing to do with the play and wasn’t interfering. The lines showed him to be just on but if he’d been off would they have disallowed it? We’ll never know.

But that’s the kind of goal that defensively you don’t worry too much about. Maybe someone could have been quicker to get out and close down the shot, but you can live with those as it was a quality strike. 

Dolberg’s second though was bad. And it was all on poor Neco who had been brought on to replace Connor Roberts. His awful clearance went straight to Dolberg who smashed it home. Neco should either be letting that roll across his body and putting it behind with his right foot for a corner, or if he’s going with his left he needs to get some air under it. Doesn’t need to be cleared far, just away from danger. He thrashed at it and it went to the one place it couldn’t go.

He’s gone backwards hasn’t he? He was fucking brilliant when he first broke through and he looked like someone who we would be able to plug in whenever Trent needed resting. It hasn’t worked out like that though as he hasn’t kicked on, causing Klopp to run Trent (and Robbo) into the ground because he didn’t trust the back ups.

Now there’s talk that we’re listening to offers for Neco. Not sure how I feel about that as young players have ups and downs and he may well bounce back. He just seems too impetuous in his defending at the moment and given the success we’ve had selling young players (who have gone on to do absolutely fuck all) maybe he’ll just be moved on for the cash. 

Tell you what though, even though that goal was on him there was a clear foul on Moore in the build up to that and I can’t believe it wasn’t given. Those are ALWAYS given, unless it’s Origi at Old Trafford.

Denmark just looked really slick and in control after that. Mahle has been one of the best players of the tournament playing at left back but he switched to the right and caused mayhem there too (maybe we should we be looking at flipping Neco and going for this lad as cover for both positions). He scored a cracker to make it 3-0 and he irritated Harry Wilson to the point he booted him and got a red card. 

Fucking appalling decision that though. Yes, it was a deliberate foul and he wasn’t trying to play the ball, but that’s a yellow every time. I don't think I've ever seen a red for something like that. It wasn’t dangerous or malicious and it wasn't high, it was just frustration. You never see anyone sent off for that because it was just a trip.

Not been a good tournament for Harry though, he hasn’t increased his transfer value and in fact it’s plummeted over the last 12 months. He was rated at £30m after his season at Bournemouth but now we’re looking at half that, and it isn’t just because of Covid.

Braithwaite then made it 4-0 and although it was initially flagged offside (which it clearly looked in real time) it was allowed to stand after a VAR check. That was 100% not a goal in the PL last season but the changes brought in for this tournament have allowed a bit more wiggle room and that’s a good thing. It still isn’t enough for my liking but it is better than it was.

Bale and the Wales players clearly felt the officiating was one sided and they may have a point. Some of the big decisions went against them but they don’t really have too much cause for complaint as they didn’t show up. Their performance wasn’t good enough and the tactic of trying to play off Moore by hitting him with high balls when he’s up against the seven foot two lad from Southampton probably wasn’t especially wise. They went in with a caretaker manager doing his best though so I’d hope there isn’t any criticism for him. He’s only there because the actual manager is such a horrible cunt.

So a routine win for the Danes who are looking like a good side. They’ve looked good all the way through in fairness, even in the first game they had 22 shots to Finland’s one (and lost 1-0), but that was overshadowed for obvious reasons. 

I like Denmark and had they been playing anyone other than Wales I’d probably have been supporting them, but it’s not because of this “do it for Christian” narrative. Loads of neutrals are rooting for them because of what happened to Eriksen but, and don’t take this the wrong way, it’s not like he died. Well, he did, but thankfully they brought him back. You know what I mean though, right?

I don’t want this to sound callous as I was as shaken by it as everyone else watching at the time. It was fucking terrifying and I’m delighted that he’s ok and on the mend. Denmark are using it as fuel and so they should. They’ve been through a hell of a lot and if it’s brought them closer together then good luck to them. I just don’t really get the whole ‘let’s support them because of Eriksen’ thing, but then it doesn’t make any difference to me anyway as I’d be wanting them to do well even if that hadn’t happened. In fact, looking at who is left I hope they win it. I don’t think they will, but I hope they do.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that Euro 2020 round ups are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic

It’s a contact sport, this was contact but it wasn’t reckless or intentional. It was a fucking accident. Shit happens. Are we going to start sending people off when there’s a clash of heads next?

Exactly right. Every volleyed clearance is probably dangerous if there's someone coming in on the end of the follow through.

Every challenge for a high ball. Every overhead kick.

It's a nonsense.

They've also been extra harsh on elbows when jumping up for headers. What the fuck is that about?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

Spot on about Pogba.

And always worth seeing a replay of this, which is how I would react if, in some parallel universe, I managed to complete a pass on the pitch at Anfield.

Ha ha always love that clip. I did a similar run when my grandson was born 3 years ago. No one around to record it for posterity though. Cunts 

• Upvote 3

I haven’t missed anything have I?

It's reports like this that makes the subscription worth it.

I worked with a lot of Welsh lads in my last job, just wish(not really) that I could show the passion and patriotism that they show for the flag, whatever sport.

Only game I have watched in full and as the commentator asked people to remember where they where on this historic day it was.....arsed.

Now pride in my city.

• dave u unpinned this topic