Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Bjornebye

Away Goal Rule Scrapped by UEFA for European Competitions

Should They Have Kept It?   

63 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Should They Have Kept It?

    • Yes, it should still be in place
    • No, it was stupid

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/06/21 at 16:03

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

You my friend have physic powers or you just know they're a bunch of fuckin weirdos.

 

 

Nah mate

Posted by Tim BUser Info on June 24, 2021, 11:13 pm, in reply to "I bet liverpool are first..."

....it'll be a win on penalties for the spawny kopite ####s.....

Previous Message

 

Team that would have lost on away goals, don’t because of the new rules and go on to win in extra time!

 

‘Twas ever thus.

 

A little from column A and a litt...actually no, it's all column B.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is not the biggest issue for the footballing authorities to handle. Fix the problems with officiating first and as a priority. Make football a spontaneous joy again ffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DalyanPete said:

You my friend have physic powers or you just know they're a bunch of fuckin weirdos.

 

 

Nah mate

Posted by Tim BUser Info on June 24, 2021, 11:13 pm, in reply to "I bet liverpool are first..."

....it'll be a win on penalties for the spawny kopite ####s.....

Previous Message

 

Team that would have lost on away goals, don’t because of the new rules and go on to win in extra time!

 

‘Twas ever thus.

 

Why are the Bloos concerning themselves with rule changes in European competition?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought it made it exciting, we've had and seen some great nights because of it and heartbreaking stuff too. 

I also think fifa should leave the game alone and stop messing about with the rules,if its not broken don't fix it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it should have been left alone. I can see that away teams in the first leg will more than often park the bus rather than push for a all important away goal.  Duller games incoming. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, deiseach said:

Probably my favourite element of European football. Gone, just like that. I get it wouldn't be invented now if it didn't exist, but the same is true of the 'Champions' League, a shambles of a competition that piggybacks on the glory that was the old school European CHAMPIONS Cup - the clue is in the title, see? If there was such a problem with the asymmetry of a team getting 30 minutes to score an away goal in extra time, then abolish extra time! Now, we will no longer have defeat-into-victory moments that the away goal creates, moments like this:

 

 

A damn shame.

That was truly amazing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jennings said:

This is not the biggest issue for the footballing authorities to handle. Fix the problems with officiating first and as a priority. Make football a spontaneous joy again ffs.

Blazers gonna' be blazers,blud.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always like the excitement that away goals provided. It could be really harsh, but imo no more harsh than pens. I would guess uefa just assume pens make better TV. I would argue loss to win with 1 goal is far more dramatic. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, deiseach said:

Probably my favourite element of European football. Gone, just like that. I get it wouldn't be invented now if it didn't exist, but the same is true of the 'Champions' League, a shambles of a competition that piggybacks on the glory that was the old school European CHAMPIONS Cup - the clue is in the title, see? If there was such a problem with the asymmetry of a team getting 30 minutes to score an away goal in extra time, then abolish extra time! Now, we will no longer have defeat-into-victory moments that the away goal creates, moments like this:

 

 

A damn shame.


 

Great shout,….

 

And who knows how our history would have played out if we knew the game was going to extra time

 

 

 

UEFA just can’t help but fuck about with the game from ruining the old European Cup with shitty group stages to totally destroying what was a great competition that was the UEFA Cup by having the third place failures drop into it 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, deiseach said:

Probably my favourite element of European football. Gone, just like that. I get it wouldn't be invented now if it didn't exist, but the same is true of the 'Champions' League, a shambles of a competition that piggybacks on the glory that was the old school European CHAMPIONS Cup - the clue is in the title, see? If there was such a problem with the asymmetry of a team getting 30 minutes to score an away goal in extra time, then abolish extra time! Now, we will no longer have defeat-into-victory moments that the away goal creates, moments like this:

 

 

A damn shame.

A shame it is, indeed.

We’ve had some very special nights at Anfield. Away goal rule have been a big part of these nervy nights:


1975-76: St.Etienne
2004-05: Olympiakos

2004-05: Chelsea

2015-16: Dortmund


2018-19: Barcelona

The same euphoria without the away goal rule? I doubt it.



Taking away the away goal rule will mean more matches decided on pens. Penalty shoot out? Loved by people who know nothing about the game. Not so much for us who do.

Dreadful decision this, as expected from the UEFA inepts

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, JustTosh said:

A shame it is, indeed.

We’ve had some very special nights at Anfield. Away goal rule have been a big part of these nervy nights:

 

 


1975-76: St.Etienne
2004-05: Olympiakos

 

 

2004-05: Chelsea

 

 

 

2015-16: Dortmund

 

 


2018-19: Barcelona

The same euphoria without the away goal rule? I doubt it.

 

 

 


Taking away the away goal rule will mean more matches decided on pens. Penalty shoot out? Loved by people who know nothing about the game. Not so much for us who do.

Dreadful decision this, as expected from the UEFA inepts

 

 

 

 

 

 

Those 2 fixtures had nothing to do with the away goal. And the Olympiakos was a goals scored situation, wasn't it?

 

Am I missing something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, m0e said:

Those 2 fixtures had nothing to do with the away goal. And the Olympiakos was a goals scored situation, wasn't it?

 

Am I missing something?

Olympiakos became a head to head once they scored it was effectively a 2 legged tie where they now had an away goal to go with their 1 nil win. I believe 1 nil was enough for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, m0e said:

Those 2 fixtures had nothing to do with the away goal. And the Olympiakos was a goals scored situation, wasn't it?

 

Am I missing something?

Olympiakos:

Going into the final mins the situation is clear. We score, we' through, we don't we're out. Heaven or hell.

 

Do you think the players, the fans, the electricity in the stadium would've been the same if we could just stroll around waiting for extra time?

 

Possible scenario: Liverpool- Olympiakos 2-1. Extra trime no goals. Pens. Even if we won that match it would never go down in history as one of those very special Anfield moments. At least that's my fear.

 

That's it really. One goal changes everything, you win or you loose, you can't simply just draw. Euphoria mate, Euphoria! It's what it's all about, isn't it?

 

 

 

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, No2 said:

Olympiakos became a head to head once they scored it was effectively a 2 legged tie where they now had an away goal to go with their 1 nil win. I believe 1 nil was enough for us.

You are correct. So, I'm assuming that's changed now too, for the group phases?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JustTosh said:

Olympiakos:

Going into the final mins the situation is clear. We score, we' through, we don't we're out. Heaven or hell.

 

Do you think the players, the fans, the electricity in the stadium would've been the same if we could just stroll around waiting for extra time?

 

Possible scenario: Liverpool- Olympiakos 2-1. Extra trime no goals. Pens. Even if we won that match it would never go down in history as one of those very special Anfield moments. At least that's my fear.

 

That's it really. One goal changes everything, you win or you loose, you can't simply just draw. Euphoria mate, Euphoria! It's what it's all about, isn't it?

 

 

 

 

 

I don’t get why your "euphoria" disappears with the away goal.

 

What if the Gerrard strike makes it 2 1, or 3 2. Still euphoria, no?

 

Why are we "strolling around waiting for extra time"?

 

It's a group game, for Christ's sake!

 

There are plenty of games where "euphoria" would have happened if there was no away goals rule, surely?

 

I just don't get the point.

 

Also, what about the other 2 games you listed? Chelsea and Barcelona?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, m0e said:

I don’t get why your "euphoria" disappears with the away goal.

 

What if the Gerrard strike makes it 2 1, or 3 2. Still euphoria, no?

 

Why are we "strolling around waiting for extra time"?

 

It's a group game, for Christ's sake!

 

There are plenty of games where "euphoria" would have happened if there was no away goals rule, surely?

 

I just don't get the point.

 

Also, what about the other 2 games you listed? Chelsea and Barcelona?

Chelsea: Gudjohnsen's chance in extra time. It goes in, we're out. Without away goal rule it's not that desperate as we'd have extra time.

 

Barca:

4-0 up, 10 mins left. One goal to Barca and we're out. Heart bounces 170 strokes a min waiting desperately for the  final whistle. Then, match is over, what a relief what a joy.

 

Just think the AGR adds to the drama and the exitement.

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, JustTosh said:

Correct again. Changed for group stages as well.

What solution are they proposing here in the event of a tie in the group stages? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, JustTosh said:

Chelsea: Gudjohnsen's chance in extra time. It goes in, we're out. Without away goal rule it's not that desperate as we'd have extra time.

 

Barca:

4-0 up, 10 mins left. One goal to Barca and we're out. Heart bounces 170 strokes a min waiting desperately for the  final whistle. Then, match is over, what a relief what a joy.

 

Just think the AGR adds to the drama and the exitement.

 

So, there would be no relief that Barca didn't score if there wasn't a away goal rule!?

 

Whatever works for you, mate.

 

I've got bigger things worry about.

 

Like how to get out of this family bbq on Sunday.

 

Good luck finding euphoria somewhere else. I'll let you know if I come across any.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Why are the Bloos concerning themselves with rule changes in European competition?

Probably because they follow loads of teams in the competition (just look at their collection of jerseys).

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d have been fine with it staying, but I don’t think we’ll miss it.  It killed as many games as it made.  
 

I see someone above mentioning the Barca game 2 seasons ago as a vote for away goals.  But had Barca scored at the start of the 2nd half then the game is done. Our heads drop and we meekly go out. 
 

Look at the city game the season before.  When we scored that away goal the game was done and it petered out.  Same against Man Utd in the UEFA Cup. It killed those games dead in an instant. When that’s happened in games where Liverpool aren’t playing I immediately turn channel to a different game. Ditching the away goal prevents that. 
 

I think we’ll have forgotten about away goals in no time. And I actually think in 10 years time we’ll look back and think it was a bit weird that we allowed some goals count more than others. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

I’d have been fine with it staying, but I don’t think we’ll miss it.  It killed as many games as it made.  
 

I see someone above mentioning the Barca game 2 seasons ago as a vote for away goals.  But had Barca scored at the start of the 2nd half then the game is done. Our heads drop and we meekly go out. 
 

Look at the city game the season before.  When we scored that away goal the game was done and it petered out.  Same against Man Utd in the UEFA Cup. It killed those games dead in an instant. When that’s happened in games where Liverpool aren’t playing I immediately turn channel to a different game. Ditching the away goal prevents that. 
 

I think we’ll have forgotten about away goals in no time. And I actually think in 10 years time we’ll look back and think it was a bit weird that we allowed some goals count more than others. 

You make some good points I hadn't considered before but those 2 ties ended because the Manchester clubs failed to score an away goal themselves. It wasn't the AGR fault City were now 3 actual goals behind again or Utd 2 behind. With or without AGR both them ties were essentially dead anyway once we scored. My admittedly hazy memory has Utd barely leaving their own half at Anfield and City setting up defensively before changing when it was too late. If they done that when away goals carried significance what are the chances they will attack at all in the away leg?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was the nuke bomb that could go off at any time but only in the special European ties.

 

Another victory for the fiddlers. 

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×