You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Away Goal Rule Scrapped by UEFA for European Competitions

Bjornebye

Should They Have Kept It?   

63 members have voted

1. 1. Should They Have Kept It?

• Yes, it should still be in place
    • No, it was stupid

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/06/21 at 16:03

I'm a fan of them scrapping it to be honest. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57599780

The away goals rule in European club football is to be abolished from the start of next season, governing body Uefa has confirmed.

The rule, used since 1965, decided drawn two-legged games by favouring the team that scored the most away goals.

All ties level on aggregate at the end of the second leg will instead go to extra time and potentially penalties.

"It is no longer appropriate for an away goal to carry more weight," said Uefa president Aleksander Ceferin.

Uefa's club competitions committee made the proposal in May and it has now been approved by the body's executive committee.

It means games in the Champions League, Europa League, Europa Conference League and Women's Champions League will no longer use the rule.

Uefa says there is now a smaller gap between the number of home and away wins as well as home and away goals scored in European competitions compared to when the rule was introduced, reducing home advantage.

It says that is down to a number of factors including pitch quality, improved stadium infrastructure and new technology such as the video assistant referee.

"The impact of the rule now runs counter to its original purpose as, in fact, it now dissuades home teams - especially in first legs - from attacking, because they fear conceding a goal that would give their opponents a crucial advantage," Ceferin added.

"There is also criticism of the unfairness, especially in extra-time, of obliging the home team to score twice when the away team has scored.

"It is fair to say that home advantage is now no longer as significant as it once was."

I always found it unfair tbh. Obviously the extra-time carry on was preposterous but even in normal time, you can lose one nil away from home then pump a side 2 nil and concede a scrappy late goal and you're fucked. 

I 100% agree it should have been scrapped for extra time but I’m not precious either way on scrapping the whole thing.

It was brought in during the 60’s because sides were super negative and were only interested in drawing away from home - the away goal gave them incentive to come out and play a bit. 

The way the game / competition has evolved, teams are much more comfortable playing abroad in hostile atmosphere’s and therefore, more comfortable trying to win away games. The game as a whole is more attacking these days - when was the last time a club played with a sweeper or played Catenaccio?

I would like to see how many games have been settled by an away goal in the last few years. It doesn’t feel like many. 

I’ll be interested to see how it goes.

EDIT - From 2/16 ties last year, only 2 CL knockouts were settled by away goals - Porto against Juventus and PSG against Bayern. 

Obviously 2020 was different but only 1/8 last 16 game was settled on away goals - Lyon against Juventus. 

In 2019 only 3/16 games were decided by away goals - Man Utd against PSG and then Spurs against Man City and Ajax. 

In 2018 only 2/16 games were decided my away goals - Roma v Shaktar and Barcelona. 

So 14% over 3.5 season. Not overly sure it’s worth complaining about. 

Just now, Istvan Kuntstain said:

Well you wouldn't have Roma doing Barca, would Barca of done PSG,   I feel it added excitement, in fact I'd say most of the exciting games in the Champs league have been down to it like Monaco doing City

I can only assume the nerds at uefa checked the numbers and figured it gives the bigger teams more chance of progressing.

Seems to be the goal with the majority of the changes uefa are making lately, the new champions league format gives the teams as much of a chance as possible at getting out of the group, even the current euros with their daft 3rd place thing. 

There's more money in a Juventus vs Bayern tie than leipzig vs Atalanta. 

• Upvote 1

Do these suits actually consult clubs, ex pros, fan groups etc before just going with stuff like this. Rhetorical, as we all know.

For me I suppose it may open up, particularly. the first leg when the home team is more focused on the clean sheet. I guess we'll see what happens.

How long i wonder before one of the blue loons claim this is the powers that be somehow helping us and keeping them down. Also rhetorical as I know it will have happened already 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

Well you wouldn't have Roma doing Barca, would Barca of done PSG,   I feel it added excitement, in fact I'd say most of the exciting games in the Champs league have been down to it like Monaco doing City

Who knows how those games would have turned out?

They’d have had another 30 mins and penalties to decide.

Roma, for example against Barcelona, could have been more gung-ho because conceding wouldn’t have meant they had to get 5 in normal time. 

2 minutes ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

Most games in extra time go to pens or the home team, so in effect it's what we will get more of. 

The below only goes up to 2013 so not sure on the stats for later years

https://5addedminutes.com/2013/03/12/extra-time-and-the-away-goals-rule/

Interesting. I’d like to see the spread of if / how it’s changed yearly from 1970 2013 though - the game has changed massively in 40 years. 

53 minutes ago, Aventus said:

I can only assume the nerds at uefa checked the numbers and figured it gives the bigger teams more chance of progressing.

Seems to be the goal with the majority of the changes uefa are making lately, the new champions league format gives the teams as much of a chance as possible at getting out of the group, even the current euros with their daft 3rd place thing. 

Yeah, I was just about to post that there’s clearly a financial motivation behind this as that’s the only reason UEFA makes changes to anything. Your reading of it makes sense. 

1 hour ago, TheRedMachine said:

Another shit decision by suits trying to justify their bloated salaries. Part of the fabric of European football. Another removal of drama. Fucking stupid cunts.

This 

Boil my fucking piss these Uefa cunts , get that super League back and let's see the parasites squirm . 

Absolutely fucking detest 'em.

2 hours ago, niallers said:

Why not just scrap it for extra time. That was always horrendously unfair on the home team having another 30 mins for the away team to score an away goal. 

Did that not balance out the unfairness of an away team having to play an extra 30 minutes on someone else's patch?

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Shall we make the FA Cup over two legs? 

To he honest that was part of the allure of the FA Cup for me, you could get a series of really hard draws. Made it harder to win and made it worth more when you did. Also turning up for an away cup tie and playing for a replay didn't happen that often. Maybe because you were allowed more away fans at a cup game than a league game.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Aventus said:

This is an interesting theory.

I wonder if it was part of the agreement to bring the ESL clubs back into the fold?

10 hours ago, Aventus said:

This. Another rule change to protect the big clubs who can bring on 50 million worth of substitutes to claw the game back and go through. Modern football is shite.

Probably my favourite element of European football. Gone, just like that. I get it wouldn't be invented now if it didn't exist, but the same is true of the 'Champions' League, a shambles of a competition that piggybacks on the glory that was the old school European CHAMPIONS Cup - the clue is in the title, see? If there was such a problem with the asymmetry of a team getting 30 minutes to score an away goal in extra time, then abolish extra time! Now, we will no longer have defeat-into-victory moments that the away goal creates, moments like this:

A damn shame.

• Upvote 8

11 hours ago, manwiththestick said:

How long i wonder before one of the blue loons claim this is the powers that be somehow helping us and keeping them down. Also rhetorical as I know it will have happened already 

You my friend have physic powers or you just know they're a bunch of fuckin weirdos.

Nah mate

Posted by Tim BUser Info on June 24, 2021, 11:13 pm, in reply to "I bet liverpool are first..."

....it'll be a win on penalties for the spawny kopite ####s.....

Previous Message

Team that would have lost on away goals, don’t because of the new rules and go on to win in extra time!

‘Twas ever thus.

• Upvote 1