You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Report: Salah determined to play for Egypt in Olympics

TLW

10 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I think Stockton and Bird were involved as well if that helps. Plus all the coaches.

Speaking of downhill

Winter Olympics > Summer Olympics

by like 1000x

Are you suggesting that Salah should be allowed to compete in the Winter Olympics?

7 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Hard to stand in the way of the lad competing for an Olympic medal. I know we pay his wages but come on. 

I understand what you're saying but we (both the club and fans) invest so much in trying to win the title/cl and Salah plays such a huge part. I'm pretty sure that quite a few of us would be well fucked off if we lost the league by a point or two due to losing or drawing a few games when he was missing and we couldn't buy a goal. The sight of Mo parading his Olympic medal would hardly ease the disappointment either.

I think Salah is looking for pretexts to fuck off. He has made enough allusions to that effect already. He's is 28 and he if has to leave, it's the right age both for us and the player. But I don't even see those eager buyers out there now short of the occasional rumours that have gone quiet of late.

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Stickman said:

If he wants to go to the Olympics as an amateur then I’m sure with that status he’ll happily forgo his wages for however long he’s away .

As said earlier there’s no direct quotes from Mo so wait and see I guess.

He might well be willing to go without wages. And especially if there's pressure from the Egyptian FA or government and he has fear for his family at home. This is why I think they need to take the decision away from the selection teams. If the Olympics are not a formal part of the footballing calendar and clubs are not obliged to release players, well they shouldn't be eligible to take part and have undue pressure on either the player or their clubs to allow them to. Just let amateurs do it. Or fucking fat old legends. What it shouldn't be is players who have enough football to play in the real part of the sport, not what the IOC invented to make a few quid. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, therevivalist said:

I think Salah is looking for pretexts to fuck off. He has made enough allusions to that effect already. He's is 28 and he if has to leave, it's the right age both for us and the player. But I don't even see those eager buyers out there now short of the occasional rumours that have gone quiet of late.

Hyperbole