You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest 00's Film - Group C

Bjornebye

Greatest 00's Film - Group C  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Pick Your Favourite Two

• Lord of the Rings - Fellowship of the Ring
    • Pans Labrynth
    • Wall-E
    • Up
    • Catch Me If You Can
    • Gang of New York
    • Inglorious Basterds
    • Oceans Eleven

This poll is closed to new votes

Basterd of a group. I appreciate the brilliance of LOTR 1, Oceans Eleven is a very good film, Pans Labryth is superb but Inglorious Basterds and Catch Me If You Can are films I can watch over and over. Them two for me. 

I remember looking forward too and watching Gangs of New York years ago but being a bit let down by it. Wall-E looks like a Short Circuit rip off and I've never seen Up. 

Pan's Labyrinth is the only one I haven't seen, despite owning the DVD forever.

Gangs of New York has no business being in this competition. It merits praise for its setting, which is more accurately depicted than most of these historical epics, but the film is pretty mediocre; possible Scorsese's weakest.

Fellowship of the Ring is the thinnest of the trilogy.

Catch Me If You Can is fun Spielberg-lite. Ocean's Eleven is a fun heist movie. Inglourious Basterds, which no basterd seems able to correctly spell, is a fun revenge fantasy. I enjoyed them all but I don't think any of them are great.

So my votes go to Wall-E and Up, two Pixar films which represent Disney at their very best, and which show that animation can be just as affecting and just as inspiring as live action.

The opening scene of  Gangs of New York is great, don't remember much after that. I do recall there was a documentary on the gangs as a bonus feature on DVD which I probably enjoyed more than the film. 

Voted for Inglorious Basterds which I see as QT's first spaghetti western of the "trilogy" and LOFTR which is better than the rest in the group that I've seen. Animated ones are OK but I didn't want to vote for any of them out of protest nobody backed me up over nominating Ratatouille.

Pans Labyrinth. - I’m sure it was always getting raved about on here when it first came out and after watching it had to agree.

UP - An absolute masterpiece. A movie that has everything you want with not a scene wasted. 

Inglorious is a great 3rd but it’s just too long and the ending took me right out of it.

Tarantino creates some of the greatest scenes put to film but this one is perfection …

7E368FD6-D662-43A8-8BFE-1D675F85EF91.gif

27 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Gangs of New York won the group? Mad.

It's absolutely mind-boggling. Is it just that people hadn't seen many of the others? Or Scorsese fanboys voting for him even when he serves up a piece of shit like this?

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

It's absolutely mind-boggling. Is it just that people hadn't seen many of the others? Or Scorsese fanboys voting for him even when he serves up a piece of shit like this?

Maybe it's because of Leo, who won first and second here (and the other group too)?

Everybody likes a bit of Leo now and then, except Vlad.