You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Euro 2020 Round Up (Days 6-8)

tlw content

Wales eh? How good was that! Great performance, great result, well deserved. They’re virtually in the knockouts now and might just have a very winnable game against Russia or Finland if things shake out well for them.

That was a cracking game with Turkey, who at least showed some signs of life after the limp corpse showing they turned in against the Italians on opening night. It was just a really entertaining game, with loads of good footy and plenty of chances, most of which fell to Wales. 

Ramsay looked like he was going to have one of those games he’d stress over for the rest of his life as he kept getting chances and missing them. Most of them were created by Bale, and when the two combined just before half time Ramsay finally put one away with a deft finish. 

They were always in control but couldn’t get the second goal and it could have become nervy late on. It’s easy for me to say as I didn’t have any real emotional investment in it (I wanted Wales to win but I wouldn’t have lost any sleep if they hadn’t), but at no point did I ever feel like there was any chance they were going to concede and not win the game. 

In the last ten minutes they were ripping Turkey to pieces on the break with the pace of James but the ball just wouldn’t go in. Then they got a corner in stoppage time and with the Turks expected Bale to keep it in the corner, he danced along the touchline before getting a shot in that was saved for another corner. 

Amazingly, they let him do the exact same fucking thing again and he picked out Roberts to put the cherry on top of the cake. Great stuff, I even shouted “get in there”. I’m happy for them and even if they lose to Italy (which I don’t think it a certainty) they should be through now. 

Bale and Ramsay are just different class and that’s probably the main difference between Wales and Scotland. The Scots two best players are both left backs, whereas Wales have genuine top class talent capable of making things happen at the top end of the pitch.

Wales aren’t the plucky little underdog punching above their weight, they just look like a proper team. They made the semis last time so this isn’t a fluke. 

Bale doesn’t have that searing pace that once made him one of the most fearsome forwards in the world, but he’s developed his all around game now and he’s just a fantastic footballer on his day. You’re not going to get a full season out of him on top form but when he’s fit and firing he’s brilliant. I looked at how he played in this game and you know what my conclusion was? Bale is the player people keep trying to claim Pogba is. Strength, power, technique, vision, world class passing, composure, decision making.  

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that Euro 2020 round ups are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic

"He’s not Ronaldo, he’s what you get from wish.com when you order Zlatan."

Hahahahahahahah

Lyndon Dykes is shite but wins every header defensively, which he did a few times after Adams went off.

McCoist called it.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, m0e said:

"He’s not Ronaldo, he’s what you get from wish.com when you order Zlatan."

Hahahahahahahah

Lyndon Dykes is shite but wins every header defensively, which he did a few times after Adams went off.

McCoist called it.

Ah the old Emile H*sk*y selection justification.

Call me old fashioned, but that's what I pick my centre backs for. My striker is there to score goals.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, dave u said:

Ah the old Emile H*sk*y selection justification.

Call me old fashioned, but that's what I pick my centre backs for. My striker is there to score goals.

To be fair, Che Adams never looked like scoring either!

• dave u unpinned this topic