You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Report: Liverpool showing interest in Sassuolo winger Domenico Berardi  

TLW

Domenico Berardi is the latest player to be linked to Liverpool in the transfer window according to press reports in Italy.

The left-footed winger has come off a fine season for Sassuolo who finished eighth in Serie A last season, scoring 17 goals in the league along with contributing seven assists.

Berardi has also scored five goals for Italy during the last calendar year and has been a key player in their two impressive wins during Euro 2020.

image.png

Gazzetta dello Sport (via The Express) have linked the 26 year-old to the Reds on the assumption that Mo Salah’s long term future with the club may be in doubt. 

The Egyptian has two more years to run on his current contract but there has been little progression on a new deal, and he has occasionally spoken about in La Liga to finish his career.

Sassuolo would naturally love to hold on to their man and the Italian press speculate with the financial crunch hitting clubs in Serie A very hard, that none of their rivals would be able to afford the £43 million transfer fee.

While no offer from a opposition club has been put on the table, once the Euros have concluded clubs in England are expected to be at the top of the list with Leicester and Tottenham possible suitors along with the Reds.

The Scouting report on Berardi says that  he is a playmaking winger whose main attributes revolve around the use of his excellent left foot when beating opponents one-on-one, creating chances for teammates and finishing off moves with left-footed shots. 

image.png

‘The Italian’s trademark cut from the right wing into the inside channel onto his left foot is considered the basis of his style of play. In a 4-2-3-1 system played by Sassuolo.

“As a winger, Berardi is practically a complete package in terms of his player profile and attacking output. The Italian’s playmaking abilities, however, stand out among a whole list of his qualities at a high level. One of the most creative wide forwards in the league, Berardi averages 4.78 shot-creating and 0.62 goal-creating actions per 90 minutes – both well above the Serie A average.’

‘The Italian shows tremendous quality in progressive passes (avg. 6.32 per 90 min) and passes into the penalty area (avg. 3.58 per 90 min), as well as solid numbers in key passes (avg. 2.08 per 90 min) and through balls (avg. 0.22 per 90 min).

‘All in all, Berardi is a truly unique talent considering his nationality and playing profile. The Sassuolo winger bears resemblance to players like Riyad Mahrez or Hakim Ziyech – left footers with slender physique who like to cut inside from the right and shoot on goal or link up with other forward player.'

In a interesting quote from Berardi back in 2019, he identified Liverpool as a club of great interest to him.

“And if I hear that it is the right proposal, to be taken on the fly, this time I will say to Sassuolo: 'I'll take it'. Being able to choose, I would play in Liverpool.

“Changing remains difficult for me, but it no longer frightens me, I would do it.”

Berardi is just another name to put to monitor over the next few months.

View full article

2 hours ago, TLW said:

The Scouting report on Berardi says that  he is a playmaking winger whose main attributes revolve around the use of his excellent left foot when beating opponents one-on-one, creating chances for teammates and finishing off moves with left-footed shots. 

Magnificent scouting report. Thorough attention to detail.