You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Report: Liverpool identify Alexander Isak as Firmino replacement

TLW

Alexander Isak is the latest striker being linked to Liverpool according to a new report.

The 21 year-old Swedish international is coming off a fine season with Real Sociedad scoring 17 league goals in 34 appearances.

Before his current stint at the Spanish club, Isak came through the ranks at his local club AIK, before being signed by Borussia Dortmund and then having a loan spell at Willem 11 in the Eredivisie.

It was in Holland that Isak’s talents began to shine through as he scored 13 league goals in just 16 appearances and Sociedad saw enough to pay €10 million to Dortmund for his services.

The Express reports that Isak’s impressive form has alerted many of the top clubs in Europe but it is believed Liverpool are keeping a particularly closeon Isak with his value seen 

The interest in Isak lies in the fact that Jurgen Klopp sooner rather than later will have to freshen up his front three who have given wonderful service for the large majority of the German’s reign.

While Mo Salah lived up to his very high standards in the season which just concluded, both Sadio Mane and Roberto Firmino went through considerable dips in form leaving the Egyptian and Diogo Jota to carry the scoring load.

While Salah and Mane have been linked to clubs on the continent throughout their stint at the club, a common view is that Firmino will be the first of the three to be moved on.

The Brazilian has been an absolute credit to himself during his six seasons with the Reds with his workrate second to none, but it has become apparent that the miles on the clock seem to be catching up to the 29 year-old.

image.png

Isak has 23 caps for the national team scoring six goals and is seen as the heir apparent to the iconic Zlatan Ibrahimovic, and has some qualities which will be compatible with what Klopp demands from his players as the scouting report documents below.

‘Isak is staking a claim as one of the most versatile and promising Centre forwards in Europe. While he is skilled at holding up the ball and playing with his back to goal, he is also adept at making piercing runs in behind the defence and attacking the box. 

‘Isak is a tall player, standing 6’3″ and weighing 170 lbs, a adept technical quality to his game with a dribbling success ratio of 60.9% while attempting 2.29 dribbles per game.

image.png

'But despite his height, his aerial ability is definitely his most unexpected weakness, he is usually ineffective in the air, even against shorter opponents. Isak tends to generate very little height and power with his vertical jumps, which is reflected both in the numbers and on tape.

‘As a young striker, overcomplicating things or failing to identify the right option is understandable, and these misjudgments can hopefully be mostly ironed out of his game going forward. But, for now, he can miss some combination patterns or sometimes dribble himself into a corner.

image.png

'In terms of his Defensive Work rate, when the opposition are trying to build out from the back, Isak is there to make things more difficult. In these situations, he generally shows a good understanding of the timing and angles he should take to close down the ball. He is no Roberto Firmino, but certainly a capable presser already with potential left for growth.

‘Isak’s strengths, traits, tendencies, and even weaknesses combine to make him an incredibly unique player. The value he brings to the table without even mentioning goals and work in the box is immense, and that additional poaching threat just pushes him up into the upper echelon of young attacking talent.’

While Isak looks to have some things to work on in his game which is understandable for someone so young, the upside is undeniable and with the Euros currently taking place, it presents itself as the perfect opportunity to see what qualities he can possibly bring to the Reds.

View full article

17 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Is Bobby your new Jordan Henderson? ! 

Henderson's in everyone's good books, including mine.  Firmino has contributed very little in the last 20 months.  He's been brutal for most of that time.  

Him and Benitez at Everton could be the dream team.

3 minutes ago, stringvest said:

Henderson's in everyone's good books, including mine.  Firmino has contributed very little in the last 20 months.  He's been brutal for most of that time.  

Him and Benitez at Everton could be the dream team.

I love your reverse psychology, it worked for Jordan now come on Bobby give us one last dance 

2cf31e4e87081396a48c92315e35c44a.gif

I'm just watching the Sweden v Slovakia game, it's a poor game but he is the one bright spark in it. He almost scored the goal of the tournament picking the ball up deep in midfield he went around 3 or 4 players and almost beat the keeper at his near post, it was a great effort.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, RedHeadedRed said:

I'm just watching the Sweden v Slovakia game, it's a poor game but he is the one bright spark in it. He almost scored the goal of the tournament picking the ball up deep in midfield he went around 3 or 4 players and almost beat the keeper at his near post, it was a great effort.

He has been but he just spurned a huge chance to play his strike partner in for a certain goal and win, trying to do it all himself.

Not sure our front three need another non-sharer.

2 minutes ago, jonnyp said:

He has been but he just spurned a huge chance to play his strike partner in for a certain goal and win, trying to do it all himself.

Fuck me

20 minutes ago, jonnyp said:

He should have passed it definitely but he's a 21 year old kid he is entitled to make a few mistakes at that age. I've been really impressed by what I've seen of him.

5 minutes ago, RedHeadedRed said:

He should have passed it definitely but he's a 21 year old kid he is entitled to make a few mistakes at that age. I've been really impressed by what I've seen of him.

Don’t disagree, he definitely looked the most likely to do something. I just suffered from a Nam style flashback when the pass didn’t materialise. 

Would benefit from the Klopp effect, no doubt.

• Upvote 1