You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Report: Newcastle line up Nat Phillips bid

TLW

Newcastle have identified Nat Phillips as a transfer target according to reports.

The central defender had a season to remember with his status rising quickly from a player firmly on the periphery, to a key member of the starting lineup.

As other defenders fell around him Phillips stood tall and naturally grew in confidence, becoming a cult figure within the fan base due to his whole hearted commitment to the cause and his love of a powerful clearing header.

But as the likes of Virgil Van Dijk, Joe Gomez and Joel Matip return to full fitness along with the addition of Ibrahima Konate  the question has been raised regarding what exactly happens to Phillips.

In a ideal world, Jurgen Klopp would love to keep the 24 year-old as a reliable back-up option in much the same way that Dejan Lovren was.

image.png

On the other side of the coin, Phillips has now proven himself at this level and as someone who is close to entering the prime of his career will want to play consistently.

The Mail reports that Steve Bruce is ready to put in a £10 million bid for Phillips but he is likely to find competition from Burnley.

With the way that both of those clubs play their Football, Phillips would be the ideal signing and likely to go another level.

In keeping with the honest way he goes about his Football, the former Bolton Wanderers youth player, recently spoke about his future possibilities.

“We haven’t had a conversation about it up until now. I think the situation is, initially they didn’t anticipate me having the season and putting in the performances that I did do.

“Maybe where they might have thought I was just going to do a job and then they would be able to sell me and I would move on, now they’re having second thoughts. I’m not sure.

“I still need to have the conversations with them and just see if there is a role for me there and what role they would want me to play.

“It would depend on if they saw a role for me at Liverpool and then what role that would be. I would have to decide what is best for myself off the back of that.”

Phillips has left such an impression that it would be a shame to see him depart.

But if he chooses that option, he will do so with the blessing of everyone associated with the club and in the knowledge that he played a pivotal role in Liverpool securing Champions League football for next season.

View full article

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Great move for the lad. Said all along he'll have a great PL career at a bottom to mid team.  Had him penned in at Burnley tbh but he'll be good for them. Probably get a few England caps and the offer of a big money move to Everton or Spurs in a few years too only to turn them down stating that he's currently at a bigger club. 

22 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Has everyone forgotten that two of our CB's are made of skips? 

If they were made of skips, they'd be making more appearances. They're made of blancmange. 

I'd keep Matip or Gomez in front of Nat without hesitation. That is of course assuming they can play more than ten games a season without getting crocked. 

I'll keep Nat thank you very much. Gomez and Matip can fuck off. 

We should keep him because he'll definitely play more than Matip and probably more than Joe this season. If VVD  and Joe fully recover and Konate looks good enough then we can look again at the CB situation next summer. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Baltar said:

Pretty absurd to think about selling Nat given our injuries at the back. Even the new fella we've signed is a bit of a crock, so we need to keep Nat around, he will no doubt have lots of opportunities to play next season. 

Yeah no guarantee that VVD won't come back brittle as well. Like fuck I'd sell him, imagine having another CB disaster like last season and being fucked again?