You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Americanisms

8 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

'Dude' is a really annoying word and is replacing words like 'mate' and 'pal' in the UK vocabulary,and even European English speakers use it.

I think you mean "dood'

And someone should tell them  how to pronounce "tube" and "carburettor" too.  And when did "then' replace "than"?

Total arse-parts the lot of them.

And there is no such thing as "friendly' fire but they insist on doing it.

On 14/06/2021 at 08:07, Clem H Fandango said:

Y'all.

Great word. Familiar plural - read  vosotros for the Continentals

Regional as well - in the Northeast it is  "you'se" as in you'se guys.

Pennsylvania and eastern Ohio say "you'unz".

I think in London they just say "Fam" alot.

Also - wiv. WTF. It is with man, look how it is spelled you daft plank.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, neko said:

The name eggplant is usual in North American English and Australian English. First recorded in 1763, the word "eggplant" was originally applied to white cultivars, which look very much like hen's eggs. Similar names are widespread in other languages, such as the Icelandic term eggaldin or the Welsh planhigyn ŵy.

The white, egg-shaped varieties of the eggplant's fruits are also known as garden eggs, a term first attested in 1811. The Oxford English Dictionary records that between 1797 and 1888, the name vegetable egg was also used.

What do they call them in Quebec?

On 15/06/2021 at 18:18, TheHowieLama said:

In the midwest it is "pop".

Yeah, this one is the worst. It just sounds so juvenile.

I do like the second-person plural "y'all," though. It fills a gap that is actually quite helpful in the language to distinguish between second-person singular and plural. I find myself using it more and more, though it might sound a bit ridiculous given I have a flat, mid-American accent rather than the Southern accent it is more associated with.

Got talking to a Texan guy in a beach bar in Bora Bora and he was basically just trekking around the world as cheaply as possible. I asked him what his girlfriend thought of him pissing off ( she was very attractive in photos ) and he offered ' I don't give a sheeee-it ' the last word taking about ten seconds on its own. It was brilliant.

• Upvote 1