You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Americanisms

2 minutes ago, rb14 said:

Sidewok really pisses me off. It's a pavement dickheads. Pavements get walked on. They're not sidewoks, never have been, never will be. 

It really grinds my gears. Which coincidentally is an americanism I really like. 

What do you drive on?

I got your back.

What are you doing with my back?

Meh.

My Bad.

Hate how British people have started using the illogical American dating system as well. 

Candy.

I recently found out they pronounce Tunisia as Too-nee-zha.

1 hour ago, neko said:

Why would anyone care about arugula ?

Agree, arugula is a good word.

Same as saying zucchini instead of courgette. Both of those are good words, so fine.

Egg Plant instead of aubergine though? That’s basically admitting you have the mental capacity of a 3 year old.

• Downvote 1

9 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

What is the road made of?

Erm road? It's a bit like asking what a tree is made of. Erm tree? 

Roads are most commonly made of small stone chippings mixed with Tarmac. Pavements are commonly made with paving slabs. 

I lost about 75 lbs walking on the sidewalk whilst y'all were talking about sports around here and I could care less who the POTUS was at the time because they're all cunts aren't they.

Forgot about the fuckton of math I did back in the day being all american and such.

8 hours ago, neko said:

Why would anyone care about arugula ?

6 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Agree, arugula is a good word.

Same as saying zucchini instead of courgette. Both of those are good words, so fine.

Egg Plant instead of aubergine though? That’s basically admitting you have the mental capacity of a 3 year old.

To be fair this probably isn't a thread for americans.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

To be fair this probably isn't a thread for americans.

Canadian.

Find yourself a zucchini, wrap a bunch of cilantro around it with an elastic band, and shove it up your ass.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The name eggplant is usual in North American English and Australian English. First recorded in 1763, the word "eggplant" was originally applied to white cultivars, which look very much like hen's eggs. Similar names are widespread in other languages, such as the Icelandic term eggaldin or the Welsh planhigyn ŵy.

The white, egg-shaped varieties of the eggplant's fruits are also known as garden eggs, a term first attested in 1811. The Oxford English Dictionary records that between 1797 and 1888, the name vegetable egg was also used.

5 hours ago, rb14 said:

Erm road? It's a bit like asking what a tree is made of. Erm tree? 

Roads are most commonly made of small stone chippings mixed with Tarmac. Pavements are commonly made with paving slabs. 

So you mean the road is asphalt and the sidewalk is concrete.

3 hours ago, neko said:

The name eggplant is usual in North American English and Australian English. First recorded in 1763, the word "eggplant" was originally applied to white cultivars, which look very much like hen's eggs. Similar names are widespread in other languages, such as the Icelandic term eggaldin or the Welsh planhigyn ŵy.

The white, egg-shaped varieties of the eggplant's fruits are also known as garden eggs, a term first attested in 1811. The Oxford English Dictionary records that between 1797 and 1888, the name vegetable egg was also used.

Great place the GF. Learn something new everyday.