You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp: I could not be more positive about what Gini did at Liverpool

TLW

A emotional Jurgen Klopp has paid a heartfelt tribute to one of the most dependable players throughout his tenure in Gini Wijnaldum.

The Dutchman announced yesterday that he will join Paris St Germain.

It was one of the ongoing storylines during this campaign season with Barcelona seemingly in the box seat to sign Wijnaldum due to the close relationship he shared with manager Ronald Koeman.

While there was a continuing hope that he would remain at Liverpool, it eventually turned into a acceptance from club officials that the 30 year-old would move on to new pastures.

Wijnaldum gave little away through the season, but as it drew to a close he gave little snippets of the thought process that he went through, 

The former Feyenoord, PSV and Newcastle man also stated that he was incredibly happy to stay with the Reds saying that he will ‘unveil the truth” after the Euros is over.

The French powerhouse seemingly came from the clouds with a better financial offer than what Barcelona was offering and ended up signing for them.

Wijnaldum was one of Klopp’s very early signings and it was clear from the early stages of his Liverpool career that Klopp placed a lot of trust in him.

In the age of rest and rotation, the versatile midfielder was virtually a constant figure whether it was in the league or in Europe.

He averaged a staggering 36 league appearances across his five years with the Reds including being involved in all 38 games in this past campaign.

Along with his durability and incredible work rate, those around the club will miss his personality and positive demeanour which made him so popular.

wijnaldum1_600.jpg

The Mirror reported Klopp recollections on their first meeting and how they instantly connected.

“Where can I start?"

“I met this wonderful player for the first time in my living room, in the first moment it clicked with us, he was a very friendly, very smart, very open person.

“It's very emotional for me because I lose a friend, that is how it is, but it's normal for these kind of things to happen.

“I couldn't be more positive about what he did here.”

The ability of Wijnaldum to adapt to a completely different role asked of him by the manager was yet another quality that Klopp was eternally grateful for.

“Not only was he always available, 90 per cent of the time he played really, really well.

“People might not know exactly what I mean by good because sometimes it is not spectacular, but from a young kid who was an offensive 10, a winger at Newcastle and then came here and became such a controlling midfielder is a massive step, and you can only do that when you understand the game really in the right way.

“He scored incredible goals, Barcelona, Cardiff, Middlesbrough, so many top, top class performances.

While the departure will undoubtedly be felt, Klopp says that no one can take away the glorious memories that they built over a sustained period of time.

"Everything will be fine, nobody can take away our memories from us, we will share them together. .

"Goodbyes would not be tough if the time you had together was not worth it. It's really tough because we had a great time together."

View full article

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TLW said:

People might not know exactly what I mean by good because sometimes it is not spectacular, but from a young kid who was an offensive 10, a winger at Newcastle and then came here and became such a controlling midfielder is a massive step, and you can only do that when you understand the game really in the right way.

I’m glad Klopp and are in alignment that Gini’s natural position prior to arriving here was not at centre mid.