You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Report: No loan move on the cards for Kelleher.

TLW

Caoimhin Kelleher is set to stay with Liverpool for the foreseeable future with the club looking to keep an eye on his progress from close quarters.

When speculation arose last week that Adrian was close to signing on for another year, there was a thought that the Irish youngster would be sent away to get valuable first team experience.

However that is not the case as the Echo reports that despite a number of clubs enquiring about his availability, Kelleher is to stay put and will be rewarded with a new contract.

Being a reserve goalkeeper is tough for anyone, let alone being backup to someone as good as Alisson Becker. 

However when Kelleher was given a opportunity to show his talent in Europe and the Premier League, The 22 year-old made a very big impression.

The biggest game of his young career to date came against Ajax in the Champions League group game where Liverpool booked their place in the knock-out stages of the competition.

The Irishman made a key save in the last few minutes of the contest to preserve his clean sheet and Jurgen Klopp was glowing in his assessment, saying he had no reservations giving him the nod over the more experienced Adrian in filling in for the injured Brazilian.

“Top. Top, top, top. It is a situation, which I have to say, it was easy to decide for Caoimhin because he just deserves it, but it was difficult to decide against Adrian because he did really well for us: a lot of clean sheets, what a season last year, Super Cup final and all these kind of things. 

“He did a really good job, but tonight we needed the package of Caoimhin – and he is a top talent anyway, but a really good shot stopper and a top footballer, so I like that."

image.png

In all, Kelleher made five appearances for the first team before an abdominal tear late in the season put pay to any more opportunities.

That injury also cost Kelleher a chance of making his senior international debut for the  Republic of Ireland, but got his opportunity on Tuesday evening in a 0-0 friendly with Hungary and his 45 minute performance impressed countryman and highly respected former keeper in Shay Given who said “Congrats to Caoimhin Kelleher on a brilliant debut for @FAI.”

Former Reading and Wolves striker Kevin Doyle concurred comparing him with Gavin Bazanu (Man City youngster who played the first 45 mins against Hungary) and said Caoimhin’s continuing development has a lot to do with the coaching he is getting at Liverpool.

“He’s a few years older than Gavin, maybe a bit more experienced, you know, training with the Liverpool first-team every day, playing a couple of Champions League games this season. His saves got better and better as the game went on.

“He just looks like nothing is going to faze him. We did the game with Liverpool in the Champions League when he was playing and we were worried about him – his first start, a Champions League game. With his first touch, I think, he chops someone and just strolls it out. Calm, collected. He looks like he’s been number one for Ireland for a long time, and I imagine he will be.”

While Alisson is the undisputed number one at Liverpool and likely will be for a long period of time, he is somewhat prone to the odd injury leading to extended time on the sidelines. If that occurs again, you can be sure that Kelleher will be ready for the opportunity that will come his way.

View full article

• Upvote 1

Got to love Doyle and his cohorts at the Echo. They stoke the flames about the club having 200m to spend on transfer then post drivel about such and such a player saving the club 'millions.'

Not sure if it was Doyle, Squires or Beesley who started this suggestion about Kelleher going on loan with Adrian being offered a new contract though. Guess they'll each deny it.

On 10/06/2021 at 22:07, m0e said:

We probably have as good a set of keepers as anyone now. Perfectly balanced.

The smart move for me would’ve been to offer Romero a contract. I think he’s solid, a bit better than Adrian. However I struggle to get myself overly excited about our third choice goalkeeper.

8 hours ago, aRdja said:

The smart move for me would’ve been to offer Romero a contract. I think he’s solid, a bit better than Adrian. However I struggle to get myself overly excited about our third choice goalkeeper.

That's fine if you don’t want to consider squad harmony, the relationship between the 3 keepers, the costs involved of replacing a keeper who's already settled,  knows the system etc.

I think Klopp considered all that, and anyone who has a problem with it is up their own arse.

Signed a new long-term contract - offal

Caoimhin Kelleher has signed a new long-term contract with Liverpool Football Club.

The goalkeeper put pen to paper on the deal following the conclusion of the 2020-21 season to commit his future to the Reds following a watershed campaign, in which he made five first-team appearances and featured in both the Premier League and Champions League.

The 22-year-old also won his first cap for Republic of Ireland earlier this month, coming on as a second-half substitute against Hungary in Budapest.

Speaking about the new contract, Kelleher told Liverpoolfc.com: “I am happy to get it over the line and finally done; it was in the pipeline for a few months with negotiations and stuff, so I am delighted to get it done.

“For me, it was a positive moment to commit my future to the club for the next few years. It’s such a big club and it’s an honour to be a part of it, so when I got the chance to sign for a few more years I was obviously delighted. I just want to keep my progress going at the club, really.”

After tallying three League Cup outings and one in the FA Cup for Liverpool during 2019-20, Kelleher made his Champions League debut for the club on December 1 last year when he started against AFC Ajax at Anfield.

A maiden Premier League appearance followed versus Wolverhampton Wanderers five days later, with the custodian keeping clean sheets in both fixtures.

Although an injury kept Kelleher sidelined for a significant part of the final stages of the season, he ended the campaign with a total of five starts to his name.

“It was a big year for me in terms of playing the first-team games this year and more important games; being thrown into the Champions League and Premier League games was big for my development and being able to handle that,” he added.

“It gave me a lot of confidence to try to push on, to try to keep pushing Ali because I can play at that kind of level as well and do well. I am looking forward, try to keep pushing him and we’ll see what happens.”

14 minutes ago, Dynamite said:

Signed a new long-term contract - offal

Caoimhin Kelleher has signed a new long-term contract with Liverpool Football Club.

The goalkeeper put pen to paper on the deal following the conclusion of the 2020-21 season to commit his future to the Reds following a watershed campaign, in which he made five first-team appearances and featured in both the Premier League and Champions League.

The 22-year-old also won his first cap for Republic of Ireland earlier this month, coming on as a second-half substitute against Hungary in Budapest.

Speaking about the new contract, Kelleher told Liverpoolfc.com: “I am happy to get it over the line and finally done; it was in the pipeline for a few months with negotiations and stuff, so I am delighted to get it done.

“For me, it was a positive moment to commit my future to the club for the next few years. It’s such a big club and it’s an honour to be a part of it, so when I got the chance to sign for a few more years I was obviously delighted. I just want to keep my progress going at the club, really.”

After tallying three League Cup outings and one in the FA Cup for Liverpool during 2019-20, Kelleher made his Champions League debut for the club on December 1 last year when he started against AFC Ajax at Anfield.

A maiden Premier League appearance followed versus Wolverhampton Wanderers five days later, with the custodian keeping clean sheets in both fixtures.

Although an injury kept Kelleher sidelined for a significant part of the final stages of the season, he ended the campaign with a total of five starts to his name.

“It was a big year for me in terms of playing the first-team games this year and more important games; being thrown into the Champions League and Premier League games was big for my development and being able to handle that,” he added.

“It gave me a lot of confidence to try to push on, to try to keep pushing Ali because I can play at that kind of level as well and do well. I am looking forward, try to keep pushing him and we’ll see what happens.”

Good. I thought he was very promising when needed in the first team last season, and obviously someone who has made a real effort to learn from one of the best in Alisson.