You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

House insurance problem

dave u

Basically the bathroom had two leaks. Insurance people came out, ripped everything out, took the tiles off the floor and some off the walls. Insurance company were sending their people to do the job but we wanted our own plumber to do it so we asked what they would offer us as a settlement.

We agreed on a number, they confirmed via email and said the money would be with us in 3-5 days. That was 2 weeks ago. They ignored two emails I sent asking what was happening. My wife just rang them and was told that a manager refused to sign off on it.

We dont know why, they’re ringing back this afternoon. The only reason we even know that they’ve gone back on the agreement is because we had to chase them. They didn’t even tell us.

Anyone know what our rights are here, and has anyone had anything similar happen?

If they don't get back to you soon with a satisfactory reply make sure you document everything, keep receipts, emails etc.

Then write to them and put them on notice that you're making a complaint, ask them to treat your correspondence as a formal complaint and to acknowledge receipt of it.

Give them a reasonable amount of time to reply (7 days) to your formal complaint. If they still don't play ball, inform them you will pursue the matter with the relevant ombudsman. This will likely make them take it more seriously and settle with you.

https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/consumers/complaints-can-help/insurance/home-insurance

• Upvote 4

Have they accepted liability in terms that are unambiguous Dave? Might sound a silly question but they can be very slippery.

If so I would collate the series of events with timelines and send them in the form of a letter (include all your evidence including their offer).  Inform them of any hardships or inconvenience the delay is causing you (be specific and factual) and send it to them stating that they have 7 days from the date of the letter to provide a satisfactory resolution or you will refer it to the FOS. (https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/businesses/complaints-deal/insurance/home-buildings-insurance/accidental-damage).

I cannot guarantee this will work mate as I do not know the wording of your policy but it might prompt a response to move it forward. 

Good luck.

• Upvote 1

We had a phonecall in which they offered us a settlement. We asked for confirmation in an email. We got that. I then accepted it via email and we then got another email a couple of days later saying it was being processed and would be with us in 3-5 days.

We heard nothing after that but it seems a manager refused to authorise it, didnt inform us and then went on holiday for two weeks.

3 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Does it say in the email that it is pending approval?

No nothing about that.

it says 

Payment has been agreed at  £***** net of the £*** excess

We have attained your bank details and the payment will be released on Monday and will be with you 3-5 working days after that

We thank you for your claim

25 minutes ago, dave u said:

Basically the bathroom had two leaks. Insurance people came out, ripped everything out, took the tiles off the floor and some off the walls. Insurance company were sending their people to do the job but we wanted our own plumber to do it so we asked what they would offer us as a settlement.

We agreed on a number, they confirmed via email and said the money would be with us in 3-5 days. That was 2 weeks ago. They ignored two emails I sent asking what was happening. My wife just rang them and was told that a manager refused to sign off on it.

We dont know why, they’re ringing back this afternoon. The only reason we even know that they’ve gone back on the agreement is because we had to chase them. They didn’t even tell us.

Anyone know what our rights are here, and has anyone had anything similar happen?

Funny you mention it I've got a plumber in to fix a leak as I write this. I can't help because my house is a new build and so the builder is picking up the tab (or should be!). Maybe engage the Citizen's Advice Bureau to get them on your side?

• Upvote 1

Advice so far is excellent. Do put "Complaint" into any email title and do what TK said - make sure they know it is a formal complaint.

Strictly speaking, the insurance company has eight weeks to put things right but as it's a bathroom and you received an email confirming the settlement, I expect you are justified in giving them two weeks. 

If your complaint is upheld, you’ll be awarded a sum that aims to put you back in your original financial position.

In addition to telling the financial business to pay compensation for financial loss or to put something right, FOS can also tell your insurance company to pay costs and/or compensation for distress or inconvenience.  

I've had to deal with the Financial Ombudsman regarding a life insurance policy - they were really helpful. 

• Upvote 1

Ok so we got a call from the same girl we spoke to earlier. The manager who wouldn't approve the claim wouldn't call us and left the girl to deal with it instead. There was not much she could say other than to apologise for how it has been handled and tell us that a grand has been knocked off what they initially told us would be transferred into our account.

The reason for them changing the amount is because they say it was a mistake to offer us what they did because that was to re-tile three of the four walls. The first wall was damaged when our plumber had to remove the sink to get to where the leak was and to take up the floorboards. When the sink came off, tiles came with it as it was stuck on so securely.

The second and third walls were damaged by the fellas the insurance company sent out to assess the leak. They removed the toilet (there was a second leak under there that showed up with their water locating equipment) and again, tiles came off with that. They also removed tiles from the third wall because there was damp behind them.

The contractor who works for the insurance company came out to price up the job and said they wouldn't pay for the tiling of the fourth wall and would only do the three with the missing tiles. We weren't happy about that as it would mean having one wall with different tiles to the rest of the bathroom, but we didn't make an issue of it.

Now they're saying they will only pay to patch up the damaged tiles and not the full walls. Not sure how they expect us to do that when we won't find the exact same tiles. 

They said their staff (the two we dealt with from their office and the contractor that came out to price up the job) all got it wrong and they should not have agreed to re-tile the three damaged walls.

They had no explanation for why we were not told the offer had been changed.

So we've put in an official complain now which will drag the process out even further. I think we need to be pushing for compensation now because we haven't had a bathroom for weeks. We have a weird little toilet that is sat in the middle of the utility room with no privacy, and we have a bath in a shell of a bathroom.

6 minutes ago, dave u said:

Ok so we got a call from the same girl we spoke to earlier. The manager who wouldn't approve the claim wouldn't call us and left the girl to deal with it instead. There was not much she could say other than to apologise for how it has been handled and tell us that a grand has been knocked off what they initially told us would be transferred into our account.

The reason for them changing the amount is because they say it was a mistake to offer us what they did because that was to re-tile three of the four walls. The first wall was damaged when our plumber had to remove the sink to get to where the leak was and to take up the floorboards. When the sink came off, tiles came with it as it was stuck on so securely.

If they have admitted it was their mistake to offer you that amount, the very least they should have offered is to meet you halfway between the amount offered and the actual amount, so about £500 in this case. 

Also ask them for a recording of the call with the agreed amount in it. 

Ask others have advised raise as a formal complaint and say that you want it escalated to a manager/complaints handler. 

Its obvious that the two staff we dealt with think we should have been paid out and the quote they had for the work came from their own contractor. This is one person trying to shave the budget by knocking back legit claims.

Be wary of changing providers if you have claimed or are in the process of claiming during the year. You won't get any sort of refund and your alternative quotes will reflect the recent claim anyway. It's clear that you are unhappy with how your current insurers have deal with things, but hopefully your policy hasn't got too long left to run.

35 minutes ago, grazywalker said:

Hello Dave.

You with a broker or one of those direct insurers?

Happy to have a chat with you tomorrow.

Number sent by PM.

Doesnt sound like there is a quick answer you will be happy with but wil go through this with you tomorrow.

The insurer is AXA but that isnt who we are dealing with. Got it from go compare or something.