You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

House insurance problem

dave u

18 hours ago, dave u said:

We’ve got two emails with the settlement agreement confirmed. What difference would the recording of the call make?

They have to put you in a position that you were in before the incident without betterment - hence the 3 walls being repaired and the re-tiling sections . They are probably using a general exclusion of damage caused or condoned by you the removal of the toilet to get to the leak, you condoned the this  and the resultant damage.

If they have agreed settlement with you over the phone and put it in writing in full and final settlement then that's a contract!

You are right to pursue the complaints line and i would guess they they would drop an appeal before it escalates further.

Accept their revised offer as an interim payment only so you can get on with the repairs.

Oh and Slag them off all over twitter etc that usually provokes a response!

23 hours ago, dave u said:

Basically the bathroom had two leaks.

Right, you're going to have to narrow it down here. Which of the bathrooms? I counted at least seven last time I was over, I counted seven and that was just in the South Wing. Perhaps you're talking about one of the bathrooms in the Gatehouse?

52 minutes ago, rb14 said:

Right, you're going to have to narrow it down here. Which of the bathrooms? I counted at least seven last time I was over, I counted seven and that was just in the South Wing. Perhaps you're talking about one of the bathrooms in the Gatehouse?

Nah, that's just the gamekeeper's cottage.

I don't want to add to your worries but I'm trying to make sure I don't get any problem with mould due to the leak. My leak turned out to be a pan leak due to a poorly made toilet and its relatively minor so there shouldn't be too much of a problem with mould (and if there is you can be damn sure the house builder will be paying to have it put right). 

I've got a 2 week wait for a new toilet to be installed but the leak has been isolated. 

With a pan leak its just fresh water that leaks so there's that to be grateful for. 

If I try to dry things out then mould shouldn't be too much of a problem hopefully. Its something just to think about (again not wanting to add to your worries). 

6 hours ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

I don't want to add to your worries but I'm trying to make sure I don't get any problem with mould due to the leak. My leak turned out to be a pan leak due to a poorly made toilet and its relatively minor so there shouldn't be too much of a problem with mould (and if there is you can be damn sure the house builder will be paying to have it put right). 

I've got a 2 week wait for a new toilet to be installed but the leak has been isolated. 

With a pan leak its just fresh water that leaks so there's that to be grateful for. 

If I try to dry things out then mould shouldn't be too much of a problem hopefully. Its something just to think about (again not wanting to add to your worries). 

We had a big industrial drying machine on for two weeks solid to dry everything out so it should be ok.

Nothing further to update yet as I'm putting the appeal case together to send to them by the end of the week.

You can let her loose Rico, all sorted now. I appreciate your dedication to the cause though.

They called today and offered us an extra £200, which we immediately refused. As soon as we did that, they said they'd honour the agreement made and the money will be transferred today.

Appreciate all the advice, thanks everyone.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, dave u said:

You can let her loose Rico, all sorted now. I appreciate your dedication to the cause though.

They called today and offered us an extra £200, which we immediately refused. As soon as we did that, they said they'd honour the agreement made and the money will be transferred today.

Fucking cunts just trying it on. 

You did right holding out for the agreed figure mate. 

19 hours ago, dave u said:

That's what pisses me off about three companies. One last attempt to fuck you with a low ball offer before honouring their fuck up. 

It's like when you renew your sky or whatever. We had about 3 weeks of shitty ever-decreasing offers until they eventually matched our existing deal which ended up being about £70 a month less than their opening offer. Cretins. 

On 07/06/2021 at 18:10, dave u said:

Its obvious that the two staff we dealt with think we should have been paid out and the quote they had for the work came from their own contractor. This is one person trying to shave the budget by knocking back legit claims.

The manager who wont sign off is either an everton fan or a fucking manc!

I guess it comes down to who 'authorised' the emails saying they'd agreed the payout. It seems strange you got these mails yet the 'manager' is refusing to sign off as surely the autorisation should have been ok'd by the manager before the emails were sent.

Keep all your emails as an audit trail.. You'll have to go through the company's dispute procedure in full before you can go to the ombudsman where, your audit trail of emails and documentation will be very handy.

Unfortunately, all this process takes time and you have to be in for the haul because these shitheads depend on you giving up so they dont have to pay out.

Edit: late to the party and see it's now settled in your favour!